New ZOOM function on lightning? it makes you feel sick?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EdwardLand, Dec 5, 2014.

1. EdwardLand

This is an OMG post. Just had one of those moments when you find some thing has change in planetside 2 and its not looking good. Please will some one confirm if there has been an intended change to the zoom function on the lightning tank. (i have not checked any of the other zoom features on other turrets im still in a dizzy state)

Usually when in a turret or tank i could click my right mouse and i would jump to a instant zoom view nice and quickly. Click, zoom, done... Now as of today when i play the lightning tank zoom exhibits a slow and gradual change from un zoomed to zoomed. The transition is so slow and odd that it makes you feel sick to watch it. it adds nearly a second to the zoom effect. totally usless for anti air units that woosh past and you try to catch them as they fly into the distance.

Any one else find this has been altered and does not like the effect?

or has any one else thrown up on the floor feeling guiddy after several zoom in's and rotations.
    Im still sitting here in disbelief that SOE would NERF this feature.
  2. FateJH

Your Lightning zoom does what now?
    • Up x 1
  3. DividedTrust

What are you talking about?

As far as I can tell my lightning zoom is instant.

Can you tell me the exact set up you're using. Ie. Viper/ x2 zoom. Skyguard/ x2.?

Edit: Can you include your graphical settings as well.
  4. EdwardLand

Ok... ill try explain in more detail. im trying to diagnose what has happened myself.

While spawning a VS lightning Skyguard with 2.5 x Zoom Optics i found that when i used the zoom by pressing the right mouse
    i got a very slow render of the zoom Transition that it made your eyes go all funny because your brain was expecting a quick transistion to full zoom.
    It took over a second to zoom in. each step of the zoom transition made the screen wobble.

Thats what was happening and i think i have found out what caused it.

I had enable READYBOOST in windows on a 16GB USB stick and i think the files for the zoom were accessed from the USB stick rather than directly form RAM memory. It was real odd....

I have removed the USB stick and all back to normal.

Sorry for the OMG moment but i was in true shock. sorry.

Hope any one else that attempts to use READYBOOST watches out for stuff like that.

Play on friends and thanks for the reality check.
  5. NoctD

Don't bother trying - there's few USB devices fast enough to provide a boost.

The only thing that works is SSD-based caching ie. Intel Smart Response.
  6. Ronin Oni

USB memory sticks make for the ****tiest RAM extenders.

Don't do that unless you're trying to boost a machine with too little RAM for low demand tasks (ie; not gaming).

You want pure RAM for gaming. 8GB should be the minimum for any gaming PC. you can skate by with 4GB, but you'll probably hit max usage which is not something you want. 6GB is often enough, but the extra bit to 8 is worth it.

It'd be nice if you could control what apps use RAM extender... that way you could put low priority apps on the extended slow access memory from the USB to open up more hardware RAM for gaming if you're skating by on 4GB, but I'm not sure of anyway that you can do that. Instead, if you're running 4GB RAM, just shutdown everything you can before gaming so all that's running is your game (and OS)
  7. Appalachian

Wouldn't it be better to install the game completely on an SSD?
  8. NoctD

Yes it would - and the prices of SSDs are dropping. I had a leftover SSD that I converted to a cache for my 2TB game drive where I dump the games I don't play all the time, it does help quite a bit. I have my PTS client on that drive, while the main PS2 install is on my other bigger SSD.