[Suggestion] New Striker idea

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by SW0V, Jun 26, 2015.

1. SW0V

The striker is now being looked at by DGC to bring it in-line with the other ESRL. This is my idea for a new Striker. Please let me know what you think.

Proposition for the new Striker

5 Round magazine
    300 RPM
    Wire-guided while ADS - Lose control if ADS is lost*
    6s long reload (maybe 5.4s short?)
    Projectile lifespan of 2 second (effective range of 360m)
    Remove the coyote mechanic
    Remove the ability to dumbfire from hip
    Remove splash damage

*Loss of control should be similar to the old maintained lock-on Striker where if you lost lock the rockets would instantly go vertical and explode harmlessly in the air. Except, this time, make it apply to ADS instead of lock.

If you like this idea, please thumb up. If you think it's trash comment on how it's broken.
    • Up x 2
  2. AlterEgo

It seems very weak. How much damage will it deal? Because five rockets with 300 r/m will need some POW. Don't mind making it stronger, man.
  3. SW0V

I would want its damage to be somewhere between a Pheonix and a standard launcher, divided by 5 of course.

The reasoning being, both the Lancer and the Pheonix sacrifice DPS for extended range, and I think the Striker should be no different. Currently, 6 striker rounds do more damage than a Decimator. I don't think doing Decimator damage up to 360m is justified. But, 5 rounds do slightly less than a standard launcher I believe.

The reason I would want it to be slightly more powerful than a Pheonix is due to your exposure to enemy fire. I think the added risk should have a payoff.
    • Up x 1
  4. AlterEgo

When you put it that way, NOICE. I like the idea now that I know how much damage it'll deal; I especially like the way you decided to balance it, so well done, compadre:D
    • Up x 2
  5. McMan

Great idea realy. There is just one problem. Devs wont read this and they dont care...
  6. SW0V

They might not read this. But I've posted this suggestion in the dev forum as well. I think they do care. They don't know what to do with it (because they don't play the game as much as we do) so they're asking for ideas. Personally, I don't think they will redesign the weapon in the next month. They'll probably just tweak the RoF, Velocity or CoF. But it doesn't hurt anyone to put out good ideas that might be adopted later.

I'm only posting the idea here to get more attention from players to refine the idea and then re-post the refinements on the dev forum.
    • Up x 1
  7. thingymajigy

What if...the striker was reverted back to its old state but the missiles are made stealthy, so the vehicle would not recieve a lockon warning and the missiles have a chance of showing up on the minimap?

It would make sense, because smaller object = smaller radar cross section = stealthy (I think).
  8. SW0V

The reason why the striker was changed to begin with was because having a lock-on launcher that does more alpha damage than a Decimator was broken.
  9. Lord_Avatar

Still crap.
  10. SW0V

Thank you for your incredibly well thought out and helpful response.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ryo313

1. ok i guess ( even tho 6 feels more comfortable and point 4 is already compensating for that as well )
    2. needed
    3. don't like the idea of wire-guided rockets and its not that unique but it could work
    4. to compensate for the RPM so its okish
    5. ok
    6. wouldn't mind that... the coyote mechanic isn't that great to begin with ( stealth ) and it feels more of a gimmick
    7. why not dumbfire without wire-guidance and while ADS it has wire-guidance? ( or is that too op and if yes why?)
    8. the striker already has a very poor splash damage i wouldn't even count that as splash dmg tbh
    ok there you have my thoughts about your idea... all in all it looks very interesting.

have you posted the same idea on the Striker Buff thread? if not you should and if yes sry my bad didn't see it because of all those ****posts there x'D

as for the dmg output:

SW0V said:
    “I would want its damage to be somewhere between a Pheonix and a standard launcher, divided by 5 of course.
    The reasoning being, both the Lancer and the Pheonix sacrifice DPS for extended range, and I think the Striker should be no different. Currently, 6 striker rounds do more damage than a Decimator. I don't think doing Decimator damage up to 360m is justified. But, 5 rounds do slightly less than a standard launcher I believe.
    The reason I would want it to be slightly more powerful than a Pheonix is due to your exposure to enemy fire. I think the added risk should have a payoff.”

makes sense and i like that idea as well. ( sry idk how to double quote ._. kinda miss the option to multi quote here via button)
  12. Lord_Avatar

It was more thought out than you could know; basically the result of me plowing through a ton of Striker-related threads. I simply gave You a tl;dr - my bad.

I'm ok with the Striker requiring extended exposure to deal it's full damage - it's a trade-off, but it needs to be capable of delivering said damage *reliably* and your solution doesn't provide that (although the wire-guided mechanic could form a solid foundation).
  13. HAXTIME

Don't forget that you are afflicted with a significantly longer exposure.
  14. HAXTIME

I agree, mostly. It should be emphasized that this would still be a high-risk high-reward weapon of choice, like the Lockdown.

In this case, you deal significant damage accurately at the cost of much longer exposure. You are looking straight at a tank barrel both for the duration of firing all 5 rockets and while guiding them towards their position. All this while in ADS mode.

I'd say keep the splash damage. It's not much of use anyways, but at least the weapon doesn't feel plastic. Also, missiles should switch to dumbfire mode when guiding is cancelled, it makes no sense for them to fly upwards. Maybe add some significant wobbling, that is they go kind of everywhere when no longer being guided.

I remember when in Crysis you shot the LASER guided launcher, unequipped the weapon without waiting for the rocket to impact, and a ~minute later the rocket came back and killed you, because the launcher was pointing at your feet from your backpack, LOL.
    • Up x 2
  15. SW0V

I actually feel that the coyote mechanic is quite powerful as it is (on Briggs anyway where very few people run stealth).

The removal of the dumbfire/hipfire option was to make sure that the weapon doesn't encroach on the Decimators niche. With an increase in RoF to 300 RPM, it means that you can mag dump in 1 second. This significantly increases its viability in CQC. BUT, I'm envisioning that being locked into ADS in CQC will reduce its viability and give the weapon more definition as a long range weapon.

Yes I have. Twice. Once as just an 'off the top of my head' idea and again when I had refined it with some thought about damage profiles and mechanics.

You just hit the 'reply' button again on the post you want to quote and it will put that quote into your cursors location.

I think that wire-guided is going to be as reliable as you're ever going to get. If you're referring to the control loss mechanic that I described then read below....

Well, that's an insurance policy to make sure people actually have to expose themselves to risk in order to reap the rewards. I don't mind where the rockets fly, as long as they don't stay on target. The same concept exists for the Pheonix, if you stop piloting it mid flight, it falls like a rock. The reasoning being, at >160m, if they fly to the last location you looked at while ADS you could literally unload your mag and duck behind cover before the first round hits the target.... that's not fair to the tank who just took a SKEP worth of damage from 300m away with no warning and no chance to return fire.

Sure, but you're exposed for a comparable amount of time while acquiring a lock with a SKEP. So, I think its damage output should be similar.
    • Up x 2
  16. Steza

I like the coyote mechanic it's great if you load up a Valkyrie with four heavies and get engaged with ESF's they have no idea what they are in for. Also as it stands the coyote mechanic radius could be improved a bit maybe by 5 Meters at most. As well as a higher velocity all it really needs.

The amount of times where I shoot it at a tank makes it quite fun. Better when there instinct is to look for me while driving forward off a cliff in amerish so many giggles from it. Or using it on a back of a cloak flash that's also a fun way to use it de cloak lob them out re-cloak and do it again. Can even do it with a phoenix if you really want to, these are just my two cents to the increase of it's effectiveness.

I'm sure the developers check in and out of the forums or maybe they are just busy working on the SCM.
  17. SW0V

I would actually like to see this strategy removed from the game and not buffed. It wasn't how the Valkyrie was intended to be used and it's a strategy that is only available to the TR.

You're talking about buffing its AA capability. The devs are looking to increase its effectiveness against ground vehicles only. I'm assuming specifically with respect to long range engagements (although this is not explicitly mentioned).

18. Steza

You can use the same idea in other empires to such as a fully loaded VS Valkyrie with lashers fly over hotspots and rain down lasher orbs. Phoenix missiles fly over a armor convoy launch them then steer them down at them.

As for the striker itself if it's only the idea to focus on is what it can do for ground vehicles. Maybe add lock on to the striker again for ground vehicles only. Think that would solve it's issue?

Wire guidance would be a mess since you can launch off all 5 shots, would all 5 have wire guidance? or would only 1? Also will it work like the Phoenix where we can shoot them down or work like the engineer were there is nothing that can be done besides find a rock to block it with.
  19. SW0V

The difference is Lashers do very little splash damage and shooting from a Valkyrie will mean your effectiveness at actually getting kills will be very low. Same goes for Pheonix. Sure, you can do hit and run attacks on armor columns, but you have to 1. get within 300m... good luck with that without dying. 2. Pheonix can be shot down. 3. 2 Pheonix, even to rear armor, isn't enough to kill a tank.

Conversely, 2 striker volleys will kill an ESF or an MBT if hit from the rear. Making it the perfect Valkyrie launcher.

Do you mean lock-on like the SKEP, or the coyote mechanic? Both have problems.
    The coyote mechanic would be game breaking because you'd be able to shoot it around corners. This would be the equivalent of making the Pheonix do as much damage as a Decimator.... completely broken.
    Giving the Striker SKEP style lock-on mechanics wouldn't do anything for the current problem the TR have, which is... they can't apply any damage to vehicles who are using cover or simply shelling from outside lock range.

I think you're confusing wire guided (AV MANA turret) with camera guided (Pheonix). To the second point, it would work exactly like an AV MANA turret, except it would shoot 5 rockets simultaneously instead of 1. 1x 5 rocket volley from the Striker would do about the same amount of damage as 1x SKEP rocket.
  20. SW0V

I forgot to address this. Currently, the point of the 50 splash damage is not to actually use it for Splash damage. Rather, it's a damage bonus on direct hits to infantry. Making infantry a 4 ((200+50)*4=1000) direct hit kill instead of 5. With an added guidance mechanic, and an increase in RoF, I think making it a 5 hit kill on infantry would be necessary to avoid the same problem the original Pheonix had which was, it was being used to farm infantry instead of vehicles.