[Suggestion] New "hybrid" shotgun / new shotgun attachment

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Iridar51

1. Shotguns suffer from lack of range and versatility.
    2. There is little reason to ever aim down sights while using buck shot.
    3. There is little reason to ever hip fire while using slug ammunition, since the accuracy is horrible.
    Now imagine a hybrid shotgun that fires buckshot from the hip and slugs while aiming down sights.
    Seems elegant to me.
    This can be easily implemented within current game mechanics by setting Pellet Spread to 0 while aiming down sights. We already know devs can manipulate Pellet Spread separately for hip fire and ADSing from the Smart Choke attachment.
    So basically while ADSing the shotgun would fire all the pellets in a condensed ball.
    Of course, slugs should do less damage than combined buckshot, so likely the trade-off for the attachment would be lowering the overall damage of the shotgun.
    So it would lower 130 or 125 damage x 6 pellets to 84 damage x 6 pellets to keep the total damage per shot somewhere in 500-ish area.
    I'm not sure devs can change weapon's damage with attachments, but this can always be implemented as a separate weapon.
    I'm not saying this is something that game needs or wants, but it seems like an interesting idea for the next time devs want to fiddle with shotguns.
    • Up x 2
  2. ColonelChingles

Tanks can't carry more than one type of shell type at a time.

But infantry should be able to carry both buckshot and slugs at the same time. And magically switch between them faster than a reload.

:confused:

I think this should only work if you spend time unloading the shotgun magazine, emptying the shotgun chamber, inserting a new magazine in full of slugs, chambering a new shell, and then ADS. You should not be able to magically change your buckshot into slugs as they sit inside your shotgun chamber.

And even then it's probably not a great idea, because it seems to decrease the point of either using slubs or buckshot.
    • Up x 1
  3. Iridar51

I've seen and liked your thread about making tanks able to use different shell types, I don't see what it has to do with this thread. That type of begrudged logic can be taken anywhere.

And it's not even about different shell types, it's about condensing buckshot into a single projectile as it flies through the barrel. It's sci fi. I don't need to bring up magical VS plasma shotguns, do I? Something like various fire modes is trivial for them and already has a precedent in other weapons, like Spiker and Phaseshift.
    • Up x 1
  4. AlterEgo

OR...
    We can have ES shotguns.

TR get a shotgun with three barrels that can fire at the same time (so basically all those pellets would amount to a single slug).

NC get a shotgun which gets more accurate the farther the pellets fly (so up close, it's not very accurate, but over range, it becomes pretty precise).

And VS gets a charge up (no explanation needed, just make the charge up a seperate mode!)

And give each tank ES shells.

Prowler gets some sort of rapid firing TOW missile.

Vanguard gets an EM-propelled shell that penetrates through everything.

And VS get a plasma round that expands in area the farther it travels.
    EZ:p
  5. WeRelic

We had that already:
    • Up x 2
  6. FateJH

It does what now? it does what how?
    • Up x 1
  7. RedArmy

can the NC brawler use slugs? thats a shotgun that would be able to use pellets AND slugs and already exists in that case
  8. Iridar51

Nope.
  9. AlterEgo

Easy. Get multiple little points in the barrel to shoot the pellets, which would be magnetic. Over travel time, the pellets begin to magnetize, attracting to each other in God-knows-what way. At max range, you'd basically take damage from a slug.

And don't you tell me,"UKH, that'th not how thotguns (lel) workth!" Nanites, man, nanites!
    • Up x 1
  10. RedArmy

Shotgun w/ buckshot in ur main hand and NS44 in ur offhand would kinda resolve this - the NS44 does the same damage as a slug. kinda defeats the purpose of one weapon doing both though. "smart" rounds would require a multi tubed shotgun and that would be fairly heavy and unweildy
  11. FateJH

No, no, this exact mechanism occurred to me too.
    It's just that it was followed by a second thought immediately thereafter that I can't shake.
    "That's ridiculous."

Here's a comment that I saved up for:
    So basically, a better Jack Hammer?
    [IMG]
  12. AlterEgo

Well yeah, ridiculous doesn't exist when it comes to nanites, so there.
    [IMG]
    And yeah, it'd basically be an old Jackhammer, only the barrels spin to make the sense of dakka more realistic:D
  13. Deffington

Why is it that shotguns in unrealistic FPS games 'kill with it's flame'? Would it be too powerful if it had actual range and tight spread?
  14. AshHill07

15. tijolo

A Gatling Shotgun is one of those awesome but probably bad ideas.

What? You want a pump action that OHKs up to 50 meters and call it balanced? It's only ever about realism in a game about realism. Otherwise it's for fun and balance.

About your signature: Unless your gun is made of dark matter it will jiggle at a fraction at what your gif shows thus creating some COF afaik. Here you can clearly see the back and forth of the pipe it just probably doesn't affect the accuracy in this case due to the low fire rate of the weapon. But it can. Also everything moves and can create a COF-like effect, even you.
  16. Mezinov

Come now children, it doesn't even need to be this much hand-wavium. The simple solution is that the shotgun is ALWAYS firing slugs. However, there is an attachment at the end of the barrel or integrated into the barrel that slices the projectile as it passes. Likely a rotating grid of plasma.

When not aiming down the sights, a button on the weapon is not pressed, the plasma grid is active. When aiming down sights, the soldier pressed a button; the grid is inactive.

Obviously for gameplay purposes there isn't a button to actually push; but it is basically the same mechanic as is used IRL for laser designators. There is a switch/button that mounts near the trigger or grip that the soldier pushes to designate. We can likely assume this is how the existing Smart Choke attachment works - that or the attachment integrates with our HUD and IFF system to intelligently evaluate the current engagement situation because "future computers". Either instance, the effect is the same - just different flavor text.

It is easier for the VS, as they would just need a cycling plasma culminator. Basically; make a device that switches between the component in their shotguns currently that makes it either shoot a slug or pellets.

I think it would be an interesting attachment, particularly with the balance function listed (lowering damage). This can be explained by saying the cutting mechanism requires a projectile of different density from standard ammunition which results in lower damage. In the VS case, it can be said the switching mechanism requires less power be passed through it at a given time compared to the non-switching counterparts - resulting in lower damage.

As above, I think it works well as an option - particularly if you open up Smart Choke to more weapons. It would also provide two options for the barrel slot on shotguns - which is currently empty for them.

You would have;
    Smart Choke - Normal Damage, better situational pellet distribution, Limited Range
    or
    Hybrid Choke - Reduced Damage, fixed pellet distribution, better situational Range applicability

You know I support merging the tank cannons and making an ammo distribution system for them - there are enough tank games on market for how that would work in a simple, intuitive, nature (Armored Warfare, World of Tanks).

What would also be cool is if infantry could custom-load their magazines. Maybe I want my Gauss Rifle to fire Soft Point, Soft Point, High Velocity, repeat. Or Maybe I want my Shotgun to fire Shot, Slug, Shot, Slug.

In terms of real life, there is no reason I couldn't. We all know actual military magazines tend to be stacked this way (Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Tracer). So why not?
  17. Iridar51

Yep, that would be perfect. Current shotguns have too few attachment options.
  18. Iridar51

Reminded me of that:
  19. Gundem

[IMG]

As for the actual OP, I love the idea for the slugs while ADS, but I think that honestly that should be reserved for the VS's Araxium shotty, along with some pretty steep downsides. Slug ammo while ads negates the disadvantages of slug ammo, the bad hipfire, while giving the advantage of improved range at the same time.
  20. Deffington

I would want all weapons to kill with 1-3 shots. This Planetside is not made towards realism, but I would like to play a game that has this number of options while keeping a bit more realistic damage model. For example Insurgency is not too much difficult to play by over-realism, but there are guns that kill.

To my signature: having bullet traveling somewhere else than the gun is pointing is artificial thing made in games. You wouldn't see this effect in real (except for some MGs, where you had to exchange the barrel when overheated), because recoil effect is much bigger. What should happen is your sights going up high instead of just vibrating on one place and sending bullets around.