[Suggestion] New "hybrid" shotgun / new shotgun attachment

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Nov 22, 2015.

1. KaletheQuick

I have not idea about what you said, but your signature is incorrect. Guns do have a COF.
  2. Gundem

I think the 7-10 shot TTK for PS2 is fine. In a world where advanced, Araxium infused materials are constructed perfectly via nanobots and spacmagic, we should have personal body armor that can take quite a beating. And since guns appear not to have advanced in the last 3000 years, I'd assume the TTK would only go up.

2-3 shot TTK, and you come dangerously close to the realm of BF and CoD. And then those games would win in a landslide with superior mechanics and hit detection.
  3. AlterEgo

Dayum...

Science is too hard:eek:
  4. Deffington

What I said is regarding shotguns in games having useful range like 5 meters.

Show me a real gun where you are concerned about CoF. As I said before, I know about older weapons that get less precise when overheated, but still if you are going for bursts or full-auto, you have to deal with recoil, not weapon's accuracy itself.
  5. Gundem

My father actually worked on the AC-130 Gunship, he showed us some cool videos of the 150mm cannon barrel vibrating. Was dope.
  6. Pikachu

I think BF is 24d 800rof for assault rifles. Like a gauss saw shooting as fast as TAR, with extra power against enemies that have taken the slightest damage already. I have played a tiny bit BF4 and it felt like everyone had only 25% health. Also 4x harder to see people and distinguish enemy from friend. And people say PS2 has too short TTK and hard to see enemies...
  7. Pikachu

edit
    fk sht pss @ss bugged forums

About hybrid shotgun, what about giving them all under and over barrel with 2 magazins, 1 slug 1 pellet and switch between. Would require new models and animations but cool it could be. Btw buff slug velocity and drop. Stupid stone throwing mode.
  8. Deffington

That's definitely an infantry weapon, which goes bursts or full auto. I know tank fire control systems also measure the barrel with laser to get reliable precision hit. But as an infantry, you usually get a rifle that has more range and accuracy than your body.
  9. Gundem

Maybe the gooey nanite guns wobble around because space magic doesn't have the tensile strength of normal metals?

mfw ps2
  10. Lection

Funny thing you mention an idea like this, i came up with an idea quite similar to this a long time back with a few key differences.

(take the idea of how the projectile works and paste to a shoty or battlerifle)

The VS Shot-Rifle- the inhuman crossbreed of a shotgun and a battle rifle. It's initial shot is a bunch of magnetized shrapnel that for the first 5-10 meters reacts the same as a shotgun, but then the shrapnel reforms into a single projectile and continues on it's way if you want to hit a further target (to be fair it would need to have low damaging pellets and would need a low bullet velocity to counter the fact it would be effective in both CQC and medium ranges).

(This was taken from my post with in "ES ideas!" a while back.
  11. KaletheQuick

Ok.

Recoil would be a part of the weapons overall accuracy, in fact one of the most important parts. And yes, the flexing of internal parts might contribute very little to an increase in SD of the distribution of shots, it still does, and games simplify numerous other mechanics like the skill of the person wielding the gun in the game. Having a general cone of fire isn't an artificial mechanic, it's exactly what it needs to be.

And now for a convenient place to bump my show. Growing less terrible with every episode!
  12. K2k4

How about a rail attachment "slug resivoir". Allows you to activate like you would an underbarrel attachment, requires a second to "load" but gives you a set capacity of slug ammo instead of pellets.
    Benefit: you gain slug option and flexibility, as well as a little more ammunition.
    Detriment: no rail attachment, extra mag size, lazer sight, or flashlight. Maybe slightly increase reload times.
  13. Iridar51

So basically like a secondary tube magazine? Sounds cool.
    • Up x 1
  14. FieldMarshall

I like your idea.

Speaking of shotgun hybrids. It would have been cool if they made something like how the Hammer/Scattercannon from PS1 worked.
    Secondary fire mode was a tighter spead a the expense of ROF. So tight that it could be used at carbine ranges.
    • Up x 1
  15. Moz

I think i can imagine a future shotgun that has some sort of intelligent shell where the buck could be fused and made into a slug.

Or even, liquid metal shells that can have electrical current run through them to either set them as a slug or separate the liquid and set as buck..... or maybe even flechette!!
  16. Goretzu

Given how powerful Shotguns were before they nerfed them in PS2 the answer to that is - yes (which is why they were nerfed)

Which is why they'll likely never allow pellets and slugs on a shotgun, it is just too good - be all & do all weapons basically destroy ALL balance.

The reality is ALL weapons in PS2 have massively compressed ranges compared to RL, but that is balance in a game.
    • Up x 1
  17. Goretzu

Unfortunately there's some sort of issue with this, the Devs have consistantly refused to do this (it would have been by far the easiest way to balance NC AI MAX weapons), I think I remember them saying once upon a time there was some sort of technical issue preventing it, but then the JH effectively has two choked modes so I dunno. :confused:

Even so I'd personally be vastly reluctant to give an Infantry shotgun great close up usage and long range useage (even with a drop in DPS), because I'm thinking how uber the JH would be with current triple-shot mode and a proper long range mode as well (in PS1 the Scattercannon had a BIG DPS drop off in the tightest mode and that mode wasn't that tight either, it just more brought it up to comparable useablity with the TR and VS AI MAXs in terms of hitting at range, but with much lower DPS).
    • Up x 1
  18. FieldMarshall

Thats true. Being the CQB king and also having medium range abilities at the flick of a button may be a bit too much.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ballto21

each pellet has a electromagnet inside of it that turns on after a short delay, then the pellets just attract to each other into a large ball of magnetic buckshot
  20. Ballto21

im no gun expert but dont all guns have something like a two inch cone (more or less) that the bullet will fly in after being fired because of something with the barrel