Nerf claymores or give us a defence!

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by OldMaster80, Nov 30, 2012.

1. OldMaster80

As Engineer and Claymore user I've recently changed my mind, and I think some on this forum are actually right: despite heavy downsides (resources cost, cert cost, limited availability blah blah) Claymore can grant very easy kills. Maybe too easy.
    In particular I think that placing them on stairs outside the spawn rooms is pretty lame. This does not require any skill, enemies can barely see there's someone outside, the Claymore itself is basically impossible to spot, and it's 100% granted kill. I've seen Engineers placing Claymores on the stairs, then going back to the Sunderer to restock and repeating this tactic until the enemies were frustrated to hell.
    Even if I have the certification to do the same, I don't like it.

Ideas for possible solutions:
    - Change claymores so that they can't be placed on stairs.
    - Give Engineers a new tool to detect claymores and landmines. Something like this:
    http://2.bp.************/-gebVkK9-xVY/Ta0pKO0JPgI/AAAAAAAAABY/hjXSBJ4jGus/s1600/how-to-use-a-metal-detector-759232_QFNulgsbLO5H_large.jpg
    - Give Engineers EMP granades so that we can actually get rid of claymores and landmines.
  2. exLupo

I'd read cloaked infils can rush past. True/False
  3. Opapanax

My one thing about the claymore class weapons would be the tank mine.

I would've sworn I saw someone place one down and then watch it explode to destroy a Sundy.. Now thats cool and everything that it blows it up but my thing was..

The Sundy was parked and deployed. The tank mines should not be tripped until a moving vehicle passes over them. They should not just explode when placed down next to a vehicle.

This was from a quick observation after watching someone seemingly pull this off..
  4. DeadlyShoe

I think they just need to be tweaked to be visible from further away.

no amount of engineer counters will make much difference to landmines because there are a thousand great places to put them and an engineer will never be able to sweep all or even most of them. Just think about how many infantry chokepoints and objectives there are in an Amp station.

OTOH... landmines are kinda countered by medics in anything resembling an organized group. And killing people at their spawn, while fruitful, is largely pointless since they respawn in 10s. Soooo... while the instakill is a little lame...I think it works in terms of game mechanics.

And taking it out would start leaving engineers a little bereft of options.
  5. sladuog

I'm not disagreeing with you, but one AT mine will take a sundy down to about 1/3 hp, so it must have been damaged already, or two mines were placed. Also remember that the sunderers slide down hills when deployed, and this movement could be picked up by the mines. Lastly, AT mines can be shot to detonate them, and will explode if any other explosion touches them. Anyway, this is AT, not AI mines.

The infiltrator's IFF device could be used to "spot" enemy explosives like this, for a cost like lowered range or projectile speed. In this way the infiltrator gets an added role as a scout and could clear explosives with EMP nades. As DeadlyShoe said, unless you all run around the same corner at once without making sure the choke-point is clear, the explosive is going to kill only a small number of people who can then be revived.
  6. Opapanax

Yea I get you bro, this Sundy was parked in a Tech Plant or whatever not on a heal but a "level" stable area.. Someone brought up the magnetic triggers which I already know about, but we are talking Planetside 2 and what's best for the game. Not whats most like real life you know..

I have no real gripe with the mines or the damage, my only concern was them being triggered by nothing just because they were placed next to a stationary vehicle..
  7. Krona

They're really only good at covering an approach temporarily, or for an infiltrator to lose a single pursuer.

People just aren't used to having to deal with them yet.
  8. ThePackage

Claymores are the only deterrent from shield camping miscreants. Their resource cost is massive, and they're not as versatile as C4. They're perfectly fine as they are. They're job is to defend areas and they do their job perfectly.
  9. SkepticJerry

Who cares? You lose one life and respawn. How is selecting placement not 'skill'? Just because someone used their brain instead of their twitch? I could say you have no "skill" for blundering into claymores. Grenade an area before you move in, it will set off the claymores. You don't need an anti-mine grenade. I'm so tired of, "X killed me so it's too powerful." If you are that worried about you K/D perhaps you should play something else.
    • Up x 4
  10. OldMaster80

There's no skill in that: in many bases spawn rooms have only that exit, only that very little staircase. I agree that deploying a claymore often requires a little experience, but in that kind of base no brain is require you just have drop the bomb and forget it. It's a kill that you can't miss. You say that one life is lost and one can respawn. That's correct, but who die like that are likely to respawn in the same room, so they will have to pass from the same door in a couple of seconds. Farming is bloody easy for Engineers.
    Moreover: they can't see you nor shooting from within the room because you don't have to stay in front of the door to place the explosive, and the claymore itself is almost impossible to notice: same effect of the granade, but no flashing icon.
    You're misunderstanding as I don't care at all about K/D. I'm just here watching 2 Engineers preventing a full team of Vanu from getting out of the room just by placing claymores outside the spawn, and it seems completely stupid because there's is just no fight. We could do that in PS1 as well with boomer, but at least throwing an EMP could be a solution. Throwing a frag granade is not the same, as you just risk to teamkill and get some grief points.
  11. Jaloro

I'm getting tired of all this anti-mine whining. It seems if someone doesn't fire a conventional bullet at them some people think its cheating.

I can get in a Mag and spam a spawn room netting 10+ kills with zero skill for a few hundred resources. Somehow this is acceptable. Presumably because they fire something at you.

Contrast that with:

- Take a class with one of the lowest health pools in the game.
    - Spend a bunch of certs to get the ability.
    - Spend 150 resources on two mines.
    - Sneak or run up to a tank so they don't notice (a tank that is stupid enough to stay stationary during all this time)
    - Drop two mines underneath without being seen.
    - Run off before they detonate and kill you.

Somehow this is OMG RUN TO THE FORUMS THIS NEEDS NERFING NOW!
    • Up x 7
  12. OldMaster80

You didn't read I think: I'm not getting killed by mines, I'm the one who can deploy them. In 90% of cases I can accept claymore the way they are, no discussion. But when it's about the spawn room they can block a fight because the only way enemies have to get out of the room is through the door. Which means that they are forced to step into a mine that cannot be seen / avoided. In that case claymore don't give the enemy the slightest chance to survive.

By the way I don't think that having a mines detector would be that bad, that was missing in PS1 as well and I've never liked it. WIth a tool like that in the game Engineers could imho be allowed to carry even more that 2 mines.
  13. SkepticJerry

Wh
    Why would anyone be assaulting a spawn room? Lock that **** down from the outside and flip the base.
  14. Jaloro

But your logic is dodgy. Frankly you would do better to get a MANA turret out and train it on the door if all you are doing is containing a spawn room. You will get more kills and supress them better.

Which just emphasizes there is not much wrong with mines. They kill people. They're mines. Duh.
  15. Udnknome

If it truly needs a nerf, then devs will nerf it. Exploit this tactic more if you want it to change.
  16. nibew

so what one guy will sacrafice and rest just run outside killing everyone

you cant place unlimited number of these you can set one

and why nerf something its working how it should you see them on the ground just shoot them
  17. Sowahka

Been killed by a landmine once. They're easy to spot, I just take out my pistol and blow it up. And with all the explosive spam I've had mine accidentally taken out quite a few times. Though I do like having someone chase me as I turn a corner or get on a jump pad...I'll place a
    mine directly behind me and watch them blunder into it ten seconds later after turning the corner in search of me.
  18. Lopatnik

In the end it's your fault for running into a mine. Also Flak Armor.
  19. Galberoth

They should remove tanks from the game. A tank can stand in front of an entrance and bomb it constantly getting kills that require no skill.

Plane gunners should also be removed from the game. It can fly around and kill infantry without being able to fight back, requires no skill.

Turrets should be removed from the game, a player can sit around and just spam his left mouse button and kill, it requires no skill.

Mines should be removed from the game. They can be placed anywhere and can kill walking infantry. Requires no skill.

All vehicles that are capable of running infantry over should be removed from the game, a person can just hold W and run over an army of enemies. Requires no skill.

Hills, mountains and any elevated place should be removed from the game. The entire battle field should be a leveled plain. Enemies can stand on a hill and easily kill me with a headshot, requiring no particular skill.

I think that sums it up. We don't need the war aspect in a war game anyways.
  20. miniboomer

Another terrible whine.

Claymores are in a lot of FPS games and they all have the same mechanic: Small-area denial for a single target.

In all these games, players think it is OP because they stupidly run into it again and again. I've never seen them nerfed.

It is the counter to the run and gun style. You should think about how best to approach the area instead of running in with your shotgun all rambo. Suddenly the player has to exercise caution "Is there a mine? Maybe I'll go in through the window.". Or maybe the player will throw a nade. Or maybe the player will go somewhere else, completely negating the problem.

No you do not need to kill the player bunkered in a room behind mines. There are so many counters; like using your bloody eyeballs.