Neglected Classes

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Exidius, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Exidius

I know, there are so many things missing to make it (the game and the class) complete
    Edit:Oh and btw Ninja I really like your sig (even thou i'm TR)
  2. iller

I dunno, the fact that everytime someone in their area gets sniped, it prints it on the screen for them to see and GET A CLUE about it? ....and lol, you'd normally need them to stop moving for 3 seconds?...and I thought my Framerate was bad... I can understand a couple of people doing that. But dozens of people falling for it more than once without paying attention to the clues and not dispatching any counters?
  3. Onigirin

"Am I cool yet?"
  4. Gary

The only time an infiltrator is completely useless is when he sits 500m out attempting to snipe enemies and hiding in his cloak. The class is an awesome class when played with a good intention. They cna infiltrate into an enemy base, hack a turret and 2 shot the defending tanks in the rear. They also get the drastically under used motion sensor. (granted its short range is a bit annoying but placed in the right spot is handy) Anyone who thinks its useless try getting a semi auto rifle, fit a closer range scope and join the fight up close.
  5. Exidius

But honestly I'm way better off with a Medic (accuracy in mid low range) or LA (Infiltration)
    Turret hacks are Inf exclusive but they work more or less not in high populated bases (and yes I'v seen the video it shows excellent how the NC had no awareness)
  6. RobotNinja

Infantry draw distance drops out under 300m so you're right. They would be useless trying to sniper enemies 500m away.
  7. Exidius

Not to mention you can't stand on top of a base and shoot down sometimes because there are 2 many players.
  8. IshanDeston

1) Not your job. Seriously. There are enough tactics against vehicles and not everyone needs an anti Tank solution. Least of all the Infiltrator. They are annoying as they are already, and i don't need them sneaking up and placing C4 in the middle of a Tank emplacement. There are to many infiltrators about as it is already.

And mind you, i am dedicated Medic and Engineer player.

2) The TR handgun is a beast. So is the NC one if used right. Also Infiltrator gets access to Shotguns, which allows you to sneak up on people and blast them into their face. I have no idea what kind of Infiltrator you have in mind, but they are NOT for a direct confrontation. That is the job of the Heavy Assault and the Light Assault. Making the Infiltrator any better in terms of CqC as its already is (people using their Rifles as shotgun does hurt quite a lot) would render the Light Assault Class even more obsolete. (Light Assaults really shine when you can use them in an outfit though)

3) Which is on purpose and from a non Infiltrator point of view, at least it gives us a chance to react and not just be shot in the back with a ROFL face. Its fair that the cloak is audible for people around. And every Infiltrators cloak sounds the same. Yours and the Enemies. There is no telling if it was an ally or an enemy, but at least people are warned about it.

3b) Which settings would that be? Its no longer the Beta where the cloak was noticable on low settings. They are almost invisible at close range on low settings now. There is a faint outline, even so, if you cloak and still get shot at.. maybe, just maybe, stop running in the same direction and a straight line as you had been before. I've killed 5 Infiltrators today from a distance who did that. I didn't see them, i just kept firing where i thought them to be. And they all died. If they had stopped to run, i would have missed them completely. If they had done a 90° turn, it had been the same. No they kept heading in the same direction. From my perspective Cloak works fine as it is.

3c) I played a lot Infiltrator during Beta and i can tell you: You are doing it wrong.

4) No Hacking is fine as it is. We've lost a whole base today, just because of one Infiltrator that snuck behind our lines. They didn't bother to attack anyone. Just hacked all the terminals. And noone could change classes or bring out any sort of Armor or Plane anymore. We were losing ground fast after that. (Surprisingly noone in the whole platoon was an Infiltrator at that point)

I don't need to see an Infiltrator skip the whole base defense to blow up the main generator, opening every single door in the base to the enemy assault. THEN we definately have no reason to defend them anymore. Why bother? All it needs is one Infiltrator to slip past. Sure we can doom 2-3 people to stand guard in a secure location, for the eventuality that there actually will be that one Infiltrator coming by. But i personally can't imagine anything more boring than guard duty while everyone else at the perimeter is farming XP like mad.

Hacking is strong enough to be a viable tactic, but weak enough not to discourage people from even bothering to defend.
  9. medbot544

Shotguns on an infiltrator? I don't see them ingame....
  10. Exidius

1.Would be disabeling OP 2. Why shouldn't we have anything against tanks ?
    2. We don't have shotties
    3. Well if you consider it's the same for every faction you indeed have a point. I'll admit If a player thinks you could be friendly and the sound makes him only more aware and not hunt that enemy inf down we don't need a more silent cloak.
    3b+c Well actually I don't have a problem using the cloak since I'm barly in any enemy LOS even uncloaked. BUT I have shot many Inf with cloak which gave me the impression that it's not good enough (especially while not moving)
    4. Yeah a really coordinated hack is effective, still I don't want it boosted I want more versatility (Hell you could add extra defence so there is sth to hack)
    edit: how did the Inf get into the spawnroom and hack the terminals ?
  11. FaLI3N

There have been way too many posts on here from people who believe an inf is a sniper.. its a sabotage unit so why are people arguing against adding more ways for them to be useful. Yes there are a lot of inf but they are all up on a mountain sniping, not doing anything helpful. Also as a VS player all our sniper rifles send out a massive here i am signal which makes being stealthy freakin hard xD. Its extremely easy to kill a cloaked infil as well.. they can't shoot you whilst cloaked.
  12. Skadi

Give them their old vehicle hacking tool back, and allow everyone to nab weapons off corpses like ps1, 2 features i miss greatly...
    • Up x 1
  13. IshanDeston

1) Balancing. As i said, there are plenty of options against armor already. I believe more people would roll useless Infiltrators if they could also attack Armor.

And i am saying useless, because they aren't designed for CQC, nor should they be. When i am at the crest and seeing every 3rd guy being an infiltrator, i am usually not surprised when we are suddenly overrun by a concentrated Infantery push. Making the Infiltrator more viable in that role would make the whole class to powerful.

2) Fairly certain they had shotguns in Beta. So they might return.

4) It was one of those drop down spawn rooms you can't get back into.
  14. Exidius

If doing something against enemy tanks is so non-exclusive why exclude the Inf, what has he that other don't?
    Cloak -> Jetpacks undoubtly better and LA has C4
    Sniper -> allready has a close quarters tradeoff
    hacking -> only useful in VERY specific situations

Actually I think they were designed for cqc, but not for direct encounters. Still the pistol alone is a feature of the Stalker cloak and I'd like to trade that for a primary weapon suited for cqc I mean REALLY close (A knife / sword for example)
  15. gushybear

When you think about it, having a sniper class alone would be a useful load out for long distance shooting. ADDING limited invisibility makes it one of the best classes IMO.

I do wish we could hack vehicles AND pick up ammo or weapons(i.e. swap classes i presume) off dead bodies. That would make the class even more viable. Typically I get to a great spot, go 10-15 kills with the ammo i have, then am out and have to run in for a pistol kill/death to respawn and get more ammo. Definitely investing in extra mags :)

Most of my pwn comes as infil. It could be better, but its still plenty good if you use it right.

If you're not using a bolt action sniper, well, then I agree this class seems silly as the bullet damage isn't enough to compensate for the lack of versatility.
  16. Exidius

AGAIN as stated countless times -> THE SNIPER PART IS FINE
    IT S THE
    I N F I L T R A T I O N
    i find lacking. (and no not only the stalker cloak)
  17. Soques

While this is true they cannot also be an AMS to my understanding. The trade off is very distinct in this fashion. What we are talking about here is the lack of existing involvement to the class beyond the a typical sniper. Infiltrators should not be happy about this. This is not and has been stated by the devs to not be another typical shooter. The game needs to have more diversity in the classes and have more value that the classes bring to the fight.

In this way I would like to see further specialization beyond what weapon you will use to kill your adversary. As I mentioned above you could have them hack shields. Someone else mentioned you could disrupt the base spawning for a time. Then require other infiltrators to come along and remove the hack on the SCU so that spawning can resume faster than the cooldown of the virus. The game already sort of committed to this kind of mechanic with everyone being able to blow up the shields.

What I take away from the infiltrator class (please bear in mind I play engineer as I fly the majority of the time) is that it is a class that is not designed for direct confrontation. It is designed to ambush and sabotage. Thus there should be avenues for the class to facilitate the war effort in this fashion.

My hope is that the devs will continue to introduce further mechanics into the game to help accomplish GOALS that will lead to the capture of a facility rather than just zerg the points.
    • Up x 1
  18. iller

Hmm... the sniping part in this game doesn't seem to have enough "aggro" yet to be considered much more than an annoyance. Infact it seems Statistically a bit underpowered right now considering we clearly do not see a ton of posts here from other classes (as opposed to other factions) complaining about "Sniper stacking". In every game since the beginning of the Railgun in Quake2, there have always been huge volumes of complaints whenever a OHK rail only requires a slightly above average skill level. In some cases it didn't even need to OHK to get a ton of complaints and thus be considered "effective enough" across a range of skill levels. If it remains the way it is now, I predict it will eventually be considered among the hardest classes to play in any FPS as more an more people over time learn the maps and learn where NOT to stand or what routes to take that bypass all sniping lanes entirely.
  19. GrendelPrime

I'm going to keep this simple.

I don't enjoy the feel of the Infiltrator and while I understand what the class is currently capable of, I want to play as a sniper, not as "the guy who runs around and types on terminals". Forgive me but I want to shoot things; effectively. I've played as a long range shooter in almost every modern FPS and I consider myself an above average player (nothing amazing - but I have my moments). In my humble opinion the Infiltrator, when played as a sniper, feels a bit limp.

I'd be so excited for a rifle with real stopping power (center mass). Is it coming with a cert? Are we going to get some sort of AP ammo? Hell, I'd pay in resources for ammo that melted torso armor if it resulted in a kill.

Are the devs suffering from anti-sniper bias?
  20. Soques

No one is saying that you shouldn't be able to shoot things as your play style. Just that as a game, planetside was touted as being full of options to how you would effectively perform in combat.