[NC] The Gauss Rifle - Who swears by it?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by IntergalacticYoghurt, Feb 26, 2013.

1. MrK

They feel exactly the same, tbh. Maybe the Gauss S feels better at longer range with a compensator that standard Gauss can't equip, and better first shot multiplier that allows slightly more burst.
    But once you think about it, whenever you use a configuration not involving a Gauss S specific (underbarrel attachment, compensator, HVA), you should go Standard Gauss for the little bonus of RPM and recoil. Hence my general purpose Gauss setup. Now that I think about it, the long range should use Gauss S, this rifle has all the tools for it, missing from Gauss :
    Theorically Gauss S + Compensator + Grip + HVA + x4 TrueShot > Gauss + Grip + x4 TrueShot. I'll test whenever I remember I must do :)
  2. irishroy

NS-11A
    :confused::confused:sounds like a TR-gun. like breaking tooth sticks. :confused::confused:
    gauss (s) just sounds like a NC-gun should sound....
    ^^
  3. ladiesop

I saw that video earlier, but what it says about Soft Point has been contradicted by the devs.
  4. Awass

Get the Gauss S. There are more more attachments for it. BTW, the Gauss Rifle is the best.
  5. cheerstoyou

I have about 550 kills with the Gauss default (uncerted), and Auraxium medals (1100+) for both the Reaper and Mauler.

At this point, I find it immensely frustrating to lack the Mauler's combat power in close, or the Reaper's sick-good TTK at range. That said, we're talking 2000 certs worth of weapons, and less adaptability -- if you meet an enemy beyond 15m your buckshot won't kill ANYTHING (I've even wondered if hit detection is working) and the scope/miserable hipfire on the Reaper will get you killed about 4/5 times unless you get a solid ADS lock immediately.

If you want to sink those 2000 certs into vehicles or your Max -- from what I've read, the best economical option would be to roll with the Gauss default at range and pick up a competent cheap CQB tool like the GR-22 to fight indoors.

I'm sure the attachments have their place too, I just haven't trialed them out.
  6. Corezer

in a test tube, on weapons that only drop one tier of damage such as most (all?) ARs, HVA does nothing, because almost immediately after 10m you will drop a point of damage and your STK will go up by one shot just as it would have for normal ammo. On vanu weapons and carbines which drop 2-3 tiers, HVA is good for mid-long range combat because it keeps you at only one STK more for longer.

of course adding in infils and the fact that not everyone you run into will be in perfect condition and only be shot at by you and this causes even a one tier dropping weapon to benefit somewhat.
  7. MrK

The point of HVA is to add to bullet velocity for easier hits at long range. That's already worth it imho.
  8. DuckSauce

Higher bullet velocity = more hits = more DPS.

"Lern2Lead" arguments are misguided. People don't move in perfect straight lines.
  9. ladiesop

How much velocity does HVA add? For slightly less extreme range, would a smaller grouping (from better recoil) be better?
  10. ladiesop

11. B0bzor

Running the Gauss Rifle with Flash Supp. 1x reflex and laser. Once I get my Gauss S it will probably be the same, but with SP ammo.
  12. Littleman

The Carnage BR is the better T1 Cycler in just about every way. Adv laser AND adv foregrip options. All it's missing is a 2x reflex I believe, and HVA.

However, I still prefer my Gauss rifle. My biggest peeve with the Carnage is the RoF on top of only having 30 rounds. It's actually very punishing if my aim is off.
  13. KnightCole

I havent played CM much, but I am upgrading my Gauss Rifle. I dont see much point in upgrading past it.
  14. Knarfis

Ok so the stock gun in my book is just simply garbage at its finest. Not worth spending any certs on it at all.

Now I bought the Gauss S about a month ago and all I have to say is that this gun is fantastic. I love this gun and truly wish my EM6 from my HA is half as good as the Gauss S. I completely stand by this gun and would really recommend trying it out and looking into this great investment. Plus all the great little goodies you get to go along with the gun is a real bonus too. If there is one thing I would ***** about the gun is that the 30 magazine is just a bit to low for my liking.

If you buy this gun and dont like it then all I can say is that you are either expecting to much from it, you are not that good at shooting (which would be completely rubbish as if there was an award for crappiest shooter in game I would hold that title hands down), or you are playing the class incorrectly.

Trust me, the Gauss S is a great great gun to get.

Knarfis
  15. ladiesop

The default GR would in theory be better in CQC than the S.

The Gauss Rifle is to the Gauss Rifle S as the Anchor is to the GD-22S. Except the Gauss Rifle has better recoil than the S, while the GD-22S and Anchor have the same recoil values.

The default doesn't get the fun attachments though, or Soft Points which the Anchor gets.
  16. WrrLor

I use the GR-22 with foregrip, red dot sight, suppressor and soft point ammo almost exclusively with my medic.

I have a nice NS-11A setup saved and a nice Gauss as well for when I want to mess around, but I just like the "feel" of the GR-22. With a foregrip, the recoil is very easy to manage.

I find the high ROF helps as an NC when being "flinch-locked", but to be honest, I have not tried other ARs again since flinch was "adjusted" in the latest patch.

If/when ROF becomes less of a WIN button, I will revisit the other ARs I have.
  17. Dispace_Fantasy

One thing I will say, as a lover of the Carnage BR, is that anyone who raves about it isn't using it stock. The point of the Carnage is basically to run advanced foregrip on a high ROF weapon. This allows you to empty the entire magazine on a target at most ranges without having to burstfire at all. If you want a hipfire machine the GR-22 with advanced laser is going to be your best bet. The Gauss rifle has always been one of, if not the best NC stock weapon and with the recent change to twitch it's an even better option so if you like it I say stick with it.
    • Up x 1
  18. Sebyos

I somehow love the Corvus, a really gimped Gauss Rifle so I fully understand.
  19. Antivide

The stupid high velocity on the Gauss is really noticeable. Really it's the only gun where you can really see the bullet velocity makes a big difference. In engagements within 50 meters it could might as well be a hitscan weapon.

Vastly superior to the Mercenary in my opinion, and the only default NC weapon that's equal to the other two factions.
  20. BleuNoir

Guys, should I use the NS-11A or Gauss Rifle S? I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I have both with attachments.

I want to have a foothold if likely in every combat situation (a bit of emphasis on medium), and preferably balanced in every stat. A jack of all trades basically. I'm deciding which gun is better for fulfilling that role.

Right now I'm using the the NS-11A with HVA, laser sight, 3.4 DMO, and compensator.

Right now I have the Gauss Rifle S just with a 3.4 and foregrip.

What should I do?