NC Carabines

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Agiond, Aug 18, 2014.

1. M2_Bradley

It could be just me...But I think the muzzle velocity of the Razor is a lie.It's slower than it says on the stat card.
  2. DHT#

I absolutely loved the razor until the hit detection bug started hammering me. Not so great up close, but if I need up close I'll grab a shotgun anyway.
  3. Redwave

Well if it is so then I would recommend using a flash suppressor Agiond or just clear barrel.
  4. Agiond

that quote wasn't mine, but if it is true then i might try a flash supressor. But god, so many certs to use... I wanted jumpjets lvl 5 and 2 C4.
  5. Bankrotas

DO NOT WASTE CERTS ON FLASH SUPPRESSOR!
  6. Agiond

is it really that bad?
  7. MasterDemoman

90% of the time there's no reason to NOT use a flash surpressor, assuming the weapon can't equip a compensator.
    People will say otherwise because it says, in writing, that it increases recoil, which, on most weapons, is BARELY NOTICEABLE! It's a lot more useful to hide your flash at night than it is to silence your weapon, unless you are 100% out of the enemy's field of view.
  8. Iridar51

Flash Suppressor doesn't increase recoil, it increases cone of fire bloom per shot by 20% for most weapon, if not all of them.
    While using a FS you will have to burst fire a bit more, but yeah, it's a good attachment for a specific playstyle.

There were cases where enemy would fire at me, I would turn around and just could not see him in time, because there is no muzzle flash, and enemy itself is concealed by darkness/camouflage.
  9. Rovertoo

20% sounds like a lot, but since you are the master of the LA, is it a big enough downside? I was under the impression that there wasn't a real good reason to run bare barrel over flash suppressor just because the downside is so marginal.
  10. Iridar51

Negative side: Flash Suppressor's negative effect will affect you every time you shoot. For each gun there's a certain range threshold where you must stop firing, and let your CoF reset, otherwise your bullets will fly all over the target.

This threshold depends on:
    1) How many bullets you must fire to kill the target. Bullet damage and your personal accuracy matter here. Carbines drop in damage 2 or 3 tiers, so they do less damage at range, which makes them less Flash Suppressor-friendly than ARs and LMGs.

2) Weapon characteristics: starting CoF and CoF bloom. For example, Lynx does up to 125 damage per bullet, but has CoF bloom as if it did 143 damage. For that reason I wouldn't use Flash Suppressor on it. 0.75x ADS carbines, like Jaguar, have large starting Stand ADS Move CoF, so I'd be careful with using in on them.

3) Range to the target. It doesn't really matter how large the CoF is, as long as it still enough to stay within target's silhouette. With Flash Suppressor you'd have to be the same 20% closer to the target to ensure all your bullets are still hitting.

Usually, you want to fire in full auto only, to kill the target as soon as possible, so that it doesn't have a chance to hide in cover, and to reduce the time you are exposed to enemy fire yourself. With Flash Suppressor, you will have to start burst firing at closer ranges.

Notably, Carbines (and most of other non-SMG weapons) have double CoF bloom for hip firing, so Flash Suppressor will have a stronger negative effect on your effective hip fire range. Most of the time you have to burst hip fire with carbines anyway, though.

Flash Suppressor has no effect on tracers, weapon sound and minimap detection. If the target you are shooting at is far enough to see tracers, it won't matter there's no muzzle flash. Nor will Flash Suppressor help you stay hidden from that enemy LA who's dead set on hunting you down, and by combining sound, minimap and tracers he will have a perfect idea of your position.

Positive side. At night, muzzle flash is blindingly bright, and enemies will prioritize targets with bright muzzle flashes.
    Often tracers will give the enemy a direction where the shots are coming from, but muzzle flash will give them the exact position.
    Sometimes it is hard to make out an infantryman in camouflage that is appropriate to his background.

So my advice is:
    Flash Suppressor is worth using at night for all weapons that have access to it:
    1) At night, it becomes harder to see anyone even with no special camo.
    2) You can close in with the target with less risk.
    3) Muzzle flash becomes blindingly bright, and becomes doubly worth removing.

Flash Suppressor is worth using on some of the weapons all the time IF you're willing to adapt your playstyle for it:
    1) You generally will have to be closer to the enemy.
    2) That weapon better have good accuracy stats.
    3) You yourself must have good accuracy.
    4) You should use a camouflage that fits your surroundings, and try to stay near stuff that blends in with your camo.

An example of perfect use of a Flash Suppressor:
    You sit in a dark camouflage near something equally dark. You see an enemy HA running past you, you open fire. HA turns on his overshield and turns towards you, but he can't see you camouflaged, and there's no muzzle flash. He's confused; he knows that fire is coming from that direction, but he can't see your exact position. Even if he finally sees you, he lost too much time, and even if he opens fire and hits you, he can't kill you before you finish killing him.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rovertoo

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm currently running the Flash Suppressor on my Merc, since I didn't want to sacrifice range for the Suppressor. But if it's hurting my full auto (though I have been bursting quite a bit more) then maybe I'll take it off.

Again, thanks for the tips!
  12. Agiond

So Flash Supressor is for ambushes, isn't it?

Just a noob question. Is there any way to change the colour of the dot on the reflex sight? Because when it's dark, it's hard to see.
  13. Iridar51

Pretty much, but I have to specify that ambushes, surprise attacks and stealth are important aspects of Light Assault playstyle.
    Funny you should ask. It's not possible right now, but they're working on creating a new shader for reflex sights that will increase visibility, and possibly will make it customizable in the future.
  14. Agiond

That's why i like to watch your videos, to learn how to play LA.

It's good to know they are working on the reflex. It's great on daylight, but dude... at night is just a nightmare.
  15. Iridar51

By any chance, are you playing with Shadows and/or Bloom on? Because both those things make stuff significantly harder to see at night. You can also increase your Brightness / Gamma a bit.
  16. Agiond

I play with everything at max quality, so shadows and bloom are active. I'll turn the bloom off (i'd like to keep shadows on) and i'll also change the brightness and gamma. Hope that works