[BUG] Nanoweave might be stacking with itself each upgrade

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Chouheals, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Chouheals

Here's a post I made on the GD forum on what I think has been happening to nanoweave armor and how it affects BASR's. Just wanted to let people know and just wanted some input on it. It it's what is really happening then devs need to fix it right?

• Up x 2
  2. AnuErebus

I'd imagine that the problem is more that the headshot multiplier isn't above 2. What it is exactly I don't know but something in the 1.85-2x range would make sense given how headshots work. My personal guess is 1.9 since I've heard of people with rank 2 surviving headshots with a sliver of health (550*1.9 = 1045. 5 less than the nano 2 health). If the nanoweave was stacking as you claim it to be there'd be a lot of problems with close combat since nanoweave 5 would be stopping 2-4 extra bullets up close meaning some people would seem ridiculously tanky. Also no one would recommend flak armor since nanoweave would be the better choice by far.
  3. ThundaHawkPS

What you're seeing is damage falloff and not nanoweave stacking.
    • Up x 3
  4. m44v

The headshot multiplier should be somewhere between 1.82 and 1.86
    • Up x 1
  5. Ztiller

I read somewhere that the multiplier is 1.5x for snipers and shotguns, and 2x for everything else.,
  6. AnuErebus

If it was 1.5x the 550 min damage bolt actions wouldn't even be able to kill infiltrators past 75m. It's definitely higher than 1.5x, heck you need at least 1.8 to be able to reliably headshot other classes at base health.
  7. m44v

yeah, I read the same, but 1.5 is probably just a guess. The best clue we have is that infiltrators with NW5 survive a headshot, an infil with NW5 has 1025 effective health, so the headshot multiplier must be above 1.82 so it can headshot normal players and below 1.86 so it can't headshot infils with NW5. This also implies that NW1 should be enough for the other classes, but I haven't tested it yet, next time I find snipers camping in a hill I will try to troll them with my medic.
  8. Dr. Euthanasia

It is. My Heavy Assault has Nanoweave 1 because I only pull that class to use the Lancer, and it saves me from snipers pretty regularly. Flak Armor would technically be more feasible given the ratio of angry rocket podders to angry snipers I encounter, but for an investment of literally 1 cert, you can't get much better.
  9. Chouheals

Well it has been assumed that the headshot multiplier is x2. Only recenly have people been saying it's lower, and are attributing this change due to BASR's not OHKing.

However if we take other guns for example the new NS Commissioner:

It does 450 max damage at close range.
    It takes 2 body shots to kill an infiltrator at maximum damage (900 HP)
    It takes 1 headshot to kill an infiltrator at maximum damage (900 HP)

Based on this data I can confidently assume that the headshot multiplier is x2. I don't know if it's consistent throughout all weapons, but there is no evidence that it isn't.
  10. Hoki

Also consider that nanoweave could be broken, as well as the stats on weapons could be incorrectly displayed.

It would not be the first time.
  11. m44v

There's no reason for assume that all weapons have the same headshot multiplier, we might like to have consistency but SOE can code the way the hell they want.

Neither there's a reason for think that nanoweave is bugged, otherwise we would see inconsistencies with all weapons, not with the bolt actions alone. If nanoweave stacked then NW5 would tank a point blank shot from a pump shotgun, and we don't see that.

And I don't know what math you used, but you seem to have calculated some nanoweave values wrong, like the first rank, is 10% extra health, so 1050 total (500*1.1+500), second is 12.5% so it should be 1062.5 total. Third, fourth and fifth are right.

With the fixed values your rank5 of stacked nanoweave should give 1567 total, which is enough for tank a point-blank headshot from the standard bolt action (with your headshot multiplier of 2).

So really whatever problem the bolt actions have is with the bolt actions alone, is either their headshot multiplier below 2 or their minimum damage isn't 550.
  12. giltwist

13. Chouheals

Yeah my values for the first 3 levels are wrong since I went with 5% instead of 10% for some reason.

Anyways this was all just speculation, since my math is wrong I'd have to redo the calculations, you might be right in that the problem lies with ONLY the BASR's. I just wish SOE would clarify some of this ****, especially when there have been reports of people wearing nanoweave 2 and surviving headshots.

Although if I redo the calculations, then it would make sense, since nanoweave 2 would then give over 1100 HP.

For some quick calculation (revised with appropriate nanoweave %):

Rank 1: 1050 health
    Rank 2: 1119 health (1118.75)
    Rank 3: 1212 health (1211.5625)
    Rank 4: 1354 health (1353.875)
    Rank 5: 1567 health (1567.34375)

Those numbers mean that:

Rank 2 nanoweave can save you from BASR OHK.
    Rank 4 nanoweave can save you from point blank pump action shotguns.

I have heard of people surviving BASR headshots lately (there's a topic with a video showing someone survive a headshot with only rank 2 nanoweave). I don't know about shotguns, but you need at least rank 4, and you barely survive.
  14. Hoki

This could be tested on PTS with an infiltrator with NW of each level.
    Since inf only have 400 shields, and the commissioner does 450 damage at point blank bodyshots, it should require 10 shots with full shields to kill the inf with no nanoweave, and this is the case in the VR chamber when I tested yesterday.

11 bodyshots with NW 1 (550hp, 550 damage)
    12 bodyshots with NW 2 (562.5hp, 600 damage)
    12 bodyshots with NW 3 (575hp, 600 damage)
    12 bodyshots with NW 4 (600hp, 600 damage)
    13 bodyshots with NW 5 (625hp, 650 damage)
  15. Ztiller

10-shots. Commissioner...the ****?

450 damage. 400 shields, 500 health. That's 2 shots.

I want to know what kind of infiltrator have more health than a Main Battle Tank.

EDIT: Nevermind. I get it.
  16. Hoki

Hrmm heard an interesting idea of maybe there is a maximum amount of damage that a single small arms projectile can do of 1000 damage.

Did some quick testing with HSR-1 scout rifle, deals 2x damage headshots.
    This was easy to confirm because 2 headshots kill, and the first headshot only lowers shields and does no damage to hp.

I also confirmed that the 99SV (semi-auto sniper 400 max damage) does at least 800 damage on its headshots, confirmed this with a long range underboss shot to lower its HP to 800, then ran in real quick for a point blank headshot which finished off the target.
    So semi-auto headshots are 2x minimum.

A weird thing about bodyshots with the underboss though, they seem to be capable of doing less than minimum damage.
    Could it be that headshot damage deviates as well?

But still. Scout rifles do exactly 2x headshot damage, semi-autos do exactly 2x headshot damage, as do pistols and from what I hear everything else as well.

But is it that bolt action rifles have a weird headshot multiplier, or can bullets simply not do more than 1000 damage?
  17. Hoki

Well no that can't be right, nm.
  18. Aimeryan

Well, at close range you can OHK to head, even with NW5 so.. you must be able to do more than 1000 per shot. Good thinking, but I think it is just an unintended consequence of the damage drop-off being over such a small distance. At least I hope it is unintended.
  19. Hoki

Yeah :oops:

Min damage on bolt actions has to be over 500 cause it deals damage to HP, so its not a stat error.
    They can definitely do more than 1125 damage, so its not a hard cap.
    Its got to be some ****** up headshot multiplier.
    Either on accident or someone did it intentionally to allow infs with NW5 to survive headshots.
  20. Vaphell

if infs surviving was the only reason to nerf multiplier by ~10% then they messed up hard. I will gladly take more dmg/range at the expense of sure headshot death. I die to snipers very rarely either way and see it as a punishment for being outwitted.
    • Up x 1