My Thought process Every Time I Meet a Lasher User

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flukeman62, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Flukeman62

(Read in a Dreamy "Cheap Hollywood Dream Effects Voice")
    *humming*
    "just walking along minding my own business... hey! Why are there lights everywhere?!?! Why am I taking damage?!"
    looking around*
    "oh a lasher user! Duck and cover!"
    *leaps behind cover*
    "oh bloody hell splash damage! OW! OW! Quit shooting me you *****! Oh I have had ENOUGH OF THIS!"
    *Peeks up over cover aims...*
    *BANG*
    "Yea! Serves you right arsehole!!!"
    *Gets up and walks away*

THE END

I hope you enjoyed a look into my mind!!!

(only 1 VS heavy, his ego and a nearby crate were hurt in the making of this production)
    • Up x 2
  2. Grotpar

Sounds about right if you face anyone with flak or nanoweave armor.
  3. IMTasty

I am not sure what i feel right when the fights happens, but after it's over I feel a bit bad for him.
  4. Deathrus

We all know the lasher stinks.

I was excited when tunnels were coming out until I found out they are no combat zones. Put my lasher back into the coffers.
  5. Gaarthar

Lasher is a team weapon , not a 1v1 one. its a suppression support tool , mostly.
    same as Skyguard for example , which is also support and not meant to 1v1 outright kill an ESF in any given situation by default.

actually would be really nice and logical , if there would be option to change rocket launcher to lasher and have it as a 2nd weapon, imo.
    • Up x 2
  6. Suroped

Should have given him a hug.
  7. omgBAMF

My thoughts when I see a lasher user:

"Wow... another person that wasted SC/certs on that weapon."
  8. XRIST0

Lasher is rubbish , its unique though which makes it cool .

Some people are really good with it , some people just think wtf is this and never bother with it again .
  9. Sowahka

Wait, Flak armor reduces lasher damage? So basically you can't damage someone with the lasher if they have flak armor?
  10. BalogDerStout

While I haven't used it, I've heard it proposed that if it were used en mass it would be rather effective. Thing is, no one is going to plunk down 1k certs to test this theory, much better to buy an effective weapon 1v1
  11. Disparu

This is what Higby tweeted earlier about the lasher.

Matthew Higby@mhigby
    @Blitzkrieg277 we've been waiting for the VS to realize how good it is. Some have and dominate with it.

Yeah, the laser sucks, you know it, I know it, everyone who actually plays the game knows it. Higby however lives in his own little balance land who seems to think it dominates. Waiting for the vs to realise how good it is? Going to be waiting a long freaking time I tell you.

Next post from Higby will be how the NC max is actually terrible, and the VS pistol dominates if only you have the secret knowledge of the ancients which somehow actually makes it as good as the Terran pistol.

More news at 11.
    • Up x 2
  12. Goden

The Lasher is awful - and I say that as someone who is on the receiving end of it. (Sometimes).

It's just a huge "SHOOT ME! :D" gun that shoots pretty fireworks. That's pretty much it. You would probably get more value for money if you just ate the 1000 certs/700sc.
  13. Peacemaker12

Wasn't there a video sometime ago where a VS was shooting a Lasher into a large group of enemies from atop a building and racking up lots of kills/supports? Not that I'm saying the Lasher is amazing all the time like that but maybe Higby has a point in that tweet.
  14. Grotpar

Like just about every weapon, the lasher is capable of punishing stupidity.

That really doesn't mean anything, though.

The knife is capable of punishing stupidity, but is the knife a viable primary weapon to go into combat with? I don't think so.

It's a problem with all three the heavy AI weapons, really.
  15. Goden

A weapon that is only useful for a few minutes of a battle is a weapon that isn't worth carrying and is even less worth the cost.
  16. Morpholine

It's absolutely ungodly in a few niche uses.

The problem is many try and use it in 1-on-1, close range fire fights, which is where it is outperformed by even the lowly Beamer. And the niches where it shines are relatively uncommon.

Honestly, there are times where I wish it was a replacement option for the missile launcher slot, rather than the rifle.
    • Up x 1
  17. Izriul

He is not wrong though, at least, in some regard.

However, that regard requires extremely limited scenarios while the majority of times it's usefulness is giving a neon sign, actually, lots of floating neon signs like sweets laid out giving directions to it's user, that says shoot me, shoot me in the face.

The splash damage is extremely low, if someone sits there and takes hit after hit with an extremely slow rate of fire gun, then it's either because their sympathetic towards you using the laser and decide to let you get a free kill, or just ******* stupid.

Lashers don't kill people, stupidity does.

Give a heavy a lasher for an hour and another a regular gun, stick them in a random location, then it's obvious who's going to come out ahead, the lasher will by a mile, at least with deaths.

It's a weapon for the rich posh sluphs who like to show off, and while it might rake in a bunch of kills in a specific scenario, those scenarios are by far too few and thin to actually be called a great gun. I LOVE the chain gun though, and I don't see why he is against it. The jackhammer, I won't speak for, not seen it enough to make judgement nor used it.

TLDR:

Lasher can rake in kills in a specific scenario, but run around with it as a general purpose weapon and it's a death sentence for it's user. The times it is useful you either don't have anything nearby to change to it, or the situation is all but over by the time you do. If someone actually stands there for 30 seconds taking damage and not moving away from the lackluster splash, then that says nothing about the gun but more to do with their general mental health.
  18. Morpholine

It doesn't rake in kills.

It is, however, an assist and critical assist farming machine (with a potential 150 round magazine).
  19. Torok

i love facing Vs with Lasher, feels like matrix trying to avoid dem plasma shots ahah... even the minigun is awesome to see... RATATATATATATA and you're like **** this **** i'm outta here :D

too bad the Jackhammer is not good nor even scary...
    the empire specific rocketlaunchers will be each scary on its own... but our current HA weapons.... CRAP
  20. Xind

It's pretty sick when more than one person uses it in the same general area...just like in PS1. One Lasher wasn't so scary, but 10 was an unstoppable wall of easily targeted AOE damage that penetrated cover and did additional direct damage...all at no resource cost. It's a good thing only HA can use it...Because if LA could, the game would be even further in the control of the VS.