Monster PC, Pathetic Frames

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Apophys, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Apophys

First I would like to begin by saying the number one reason I have stopped playing PS2 is the poor framerates I get. I don't know what the problem is with SOE, the game, or the optimizations they have or haven't implemented, but the game is unplayable for me.

Current Setup: (changing in game settings seems to have little to no effect)
    AMD FX-8320 Octo-core 3.5Ghz
    16Gb 1600 GSkill RAM
    2x Radeon HD 6870 in Crossfire (or not, makes no difference)

Now in my opinion, there should be no excuse for dropping to 5fps in heavy fights, while getting 80+ in the middle of nowhere. Obviously performance would be better without anyone around, but there should not be so much variance for such a powerful system. So what is the problem? Is SOE just not supporting AMD users to the level they should be? Are there some serious QA problems at SOE? I'm really unhappy not being able to take part in activities with my outfit because of the performance issues. Some people seem to be doing fine, others seem to have the same problem, and in both cases the machines people play on are widely varied in power.

Note: My drivers are up to date.
  2. Cristari

lol After today's GU5 I logged in to 150FPS and in fights I got 40 > 70FPS.

I don't consider my PC to be 'monster' I have i7 3.2 OC to 4.5GHz 16Gb DDR3 Ram GTX 690 & GTX 550Ti PhysX card. What makes your PC so 'monster'? Your FPS sucks BTW maybe you should upgrade!
  3. Luminus

This is supposed to be a magical "turn everything to ultra and somehow get more FPS" ini replacement.
    Basic explanation is that it forces more of the game onto the GPU instead of the CPU.
    I used it, and I get at least the same FPS as when I tried to run everything on low for more frames.

http://pastebin.com/hLRg2n3F

You can raise the others or whatever else for your "monster".
    • Up x 1
  4. TheAppl3

I can't find a monster PC in the OP for some reason. It's not a bad computer, but it's not the incredible super-powerful thing you seem to think it is. Why do you have a non-overclocked 8320? They do 4.0 without trying and 4.2-4.5 should not be too hard.

You might have overheating issues causing your processor or cards to throttle down or perhaps the current drivers are just wonky with your system. Does the game indicate [CPU] or [GPU] when you dump down to 5fps? Is it a constant 5 or random drops from ~30 to 5?
  5. RectalRooter

6. Sliced

Monster he says?
    That's a kids first computer.
    Should of went to Intel. That CPU is a bad choice.
    • Up x 1
  7. Mastachief

Sadly you chose AMD
    • Up x 1
  8. TheAppl3

Hooray for idiotic responses stating that he gets five frames per second because he chose AMD. That would be valid if he had an Athlon64 3200+ or something, at which point the issue would be age of the chip rather than manufacturer anyway. His processor is just fine for PS2, but should be overclocked. Even at stock it should not get 5 fps. Cue this becoming an Intel vs. AMD flame war because of those responses. It truly is unavoidable apparently.
    • Up x 1
  9. GrUnTuS

I have ALWAYS liked AMD for gaming rigs I built because they are cheaper. That being said AMD has always sucked when in a crowd, don't know why but it does. I think maybe Intel pays them off.

Point in fact "AMD" shows as a misspelled word whereas "Intel" does not. DAMN YOU INTEL!!!
    intel rulz
  10. GrUnTuS

Thanks for that link, I had not noticed that the FPS thingy would change from gpu to cpu to show what was slowing it down.
  11. Lord Gentlecrab

Well there's your problem.

Game is anti-AMD.
  12. Apophys

I have tried the ini replacement. I did see some minor improvement overall but when it came down to fights it still sucked. 5fps is the lowest drop I've seen. Typically it's between 10 and 20, but very choppy. Enough to have an affect on my response time to someone popping out from a corner. Regardless of the numbers, the game just isn't easy to play when I'm dipping that low.

My rig may not be top of the line, but it's certainly not a beginner's pc. 16Gb of RAM is more than enough for anything and more than most people have. Most CPUs only have 4 cores ranging from 3 to 4.5 Ghz on the better ones. 3.5Ghz isn't a poor speed and when multiplied by the 8 cores, that's a lot of processing power, which leads me to believe the game doesn't properly utilize multicore CPUs.

To answer another post, the game says i'm CPU bottlenecked 95% of the time. The only time I'm getting 80 fps is out in the middle of nowhere and it says GPU. That's all well and good but it doesn't matter when no one's around. So why is a CPU like mine getting bottlenecked with the potential it has if not for the game not utilizing the available cores?

I have liquid cooling so I will get around to overclocking, but I haven't had time to play with it lately.
  13. ThaPhreak

that's not a monster? lol the game runs decent with just a 550ti,
  14. Jezs

If you had a dualcore it would run the game just about the same.
  15. RectalRooter

Don't listen to Intel fanboys telling you the problem is your choice of brand. They're almost as bad as Apple cultists and Nintendrones.

I experienced no siginifcant increase in frame rate going from OCd Phenom II X4 970 4.0Ghz, to i5 3570k.

From 20-25 to 25-30, during intense battles, high settings or low, it makes no difference
    (I used that "magical" .ini).

I don't know about you, but I can't play a first person shooter with 30 frames per second. It's not comfortable, it doesn't feel responsive.

Gee, maybe I should have went with the most expensive CPU Intel has to offer, that would have totally made a huge difference.

Like TheAppl3, and others, have said, it's not the CPU - it's the game.

Maybe in a few years we'll get a smooth PS2.
  16. Tycoh

Planetside 2, the only game that is optimized for the computers that made the game, sitting inside of the SOE office. Hell, he'd get better frame rates from Crysis all on high than Planetside 2 on medium.
  17. spmokc73

Not being a fanboy, as stated above, my other pc has an AMD 965. I have no problems with the brand....but 3.4 on AMD is not the same as 3.4 on intel (intel is far ahead in that area: here is a comparison of AMD 965 BE and i5 3570K both quad core 3.4GHz http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=701) and 8 cores means nothing in most games. Majority of games only use 2 cores, so having 8 is no advantage for gaming. Finally this game with physx is optimized for nvidia gpu's from what it seems, so you have a decent pc but not one ideal for planetside 2 to run on high settings with high FPS.
  18. Lord Gentlecrab

Just save your energy. It doesn't matter how much overclocking or cores you throw at this game...the engine was not coded with AMD in mind. No task manager or strenuous troubleshooting will tell you this.
  19. Sh0xy

Okay the other day I found a dev post from before the PS2 forums were wiped at launch (it had been reposted on another ps2 related forum) so here goes. I found it helpful and it might be for you aswell.

• Up x 1
  20. Tatwi

Welcome to Planetside 2!
    • Up x 1