Memory leaks

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by volth, Feb 17, 2014.

1. volth

Hi

I have problems with memory leak when i play ps2.
    I have 6gb ddr3 ram and when i start to play windows + ps2 use about 73% then after 30 min it use 86% and after
    one hour it use 96% and then ps2 crash. I have never have this problem before, usually it stops at 83%.
    It started after the last patch.
  2. DeadAlive99

Same here, except I don't last past about 30 minutes, many times much less. It uses progressively more ram, and then it uses progressively more of my page file, until finally the load is too high and it crashes.

It's a ridiculous problem. My crashing goes back more than a month, when I reinstalled the game.
  3. ncDieseL

I'm running 16GB or RAM and I still get crashes. The reason is the game is currently only 32 bit so it will only be able to address 4GB of RAM. Unfortunately, it seems on the highest texture settings, the game very quickly runs out of memory. On Ultra textures, I was crashing every 90 minutes. With the login servers issues on EU this was a game breaker, so I switched down to High textures, I've now clocked game sessions at 4+ hours.

The biggest memory hog in this game is textures, try notching them down a level. It's no ideal, but it's the best we can do until the 64 bit client comes out.
  4. nightbird

I experience this same issue, but I didn't always have it but rather it started in PS2 about a month ago. I run 8GB of ram, i7 4770K @ 4.2 ghz, and stock 290x, on ultra I usually get over 120fps@1080 (I have a 120hz monitor).

Not always, but a big explosion seems to trigger the crash. Maybe new textures or effects tend to load then. I fly my reaver around, blow something (vehicle) up and I CTD, or something near me blows up and I CTD (after around 1 -2hr of playing)
  5. DeadAlive99

I run on all low settings as my system is old. However, I've been running f/s/windowed and I think that may be running at native monitor res. since it's not adjustable in that mode, so I'll try full screen on low res. and see if that buys me more time.
  6. Bullborn

Same here, Im running 32gb ram and a titan gtx with 6gb vram.

I usually crash after 2-3 hours or so. Earlier if I switch continents. If I play for an 2 hours at one continent, and then switch continents, its almost guaranteed to crash. Either CTD during loading or lockup/CTD after you start moving out of warpgate.

It reminds me of Skyrim's 3.1gb Ram limit crash, where it would CTD regardless of your hardware if you exceed 3.1gb ram usage. Might be useful to track ram usage and see if it always crashes when reaching a specific threshold.
  7. ncDieseL

It's crashing around the 4GB mark, I'm pretty sure. The ultra textures are too big essentially, the devs have all but admitted this in the roadmap post about the 64 bit client. When the 64 bit client lands, the ultra texture settings will be unavailable in the 32 bit version of the game, because it's not capable of running them.
  8. Hegenov

if you dont have video settings set on small with turned off flora and shadows, do it and tell if crashes still occurs.
    I have just 8GB RAM and 2GB video memory, but i do not have that many crashes. Game is stable* and wont crash for hours.

EDIT:
    looking at your specs, its like "more memory you have, crashes occurs more frequently....

*- it is only said in crash meaning, not saying, that i don't suffer huge FPS loss after updates and FPS drops :(
  9. volth

So it dont helps to buy more ram? :/
  10. starlinvf

Not with the nature of the software limitations. Part of the move to 64-bit architecture is to help alleviate the "out of memory" crashes when things start loading/unloading like crazy. I'm glad too, because so many games are starting to hit the wall with 32-bit memory limitations.
  11. Rougen

The volume of crashes I have been getting since the recent patches are crazy.

I used to CTD a couple of times a night, standard for planetside, the old one did it 10 years ago so I guess they didn't want us to feel left out when moving to PS2.

The most annoying thing though are lock-ups.

If I have been playing for a few hours my game also freezes completely, I can here sound but can't alt tab out or crtl+alt+delete, and so I have to button my machine every time.

After the recent patch I had a crazy, black screen flicker issue, like my display adapted had stopped working and again I had to button my machine. There were no errors in the eventlog at all at the time of the crash, and everything seemed normal.

I'm running a 4770k which is overclocked but on liquid, and temps are never an issue even running furmark or firestorm over and over. 16gb of Ripjaw 2133 and 2x GTX 780 AMPs, on 8.1 64bit, so memory and pixel pushing power is not an issue either. Someone suspected my CPU since they moved physics to it, but my CPU never seems that heavily used, temps remain in 30-40's and the in game monitor shows my GPU's are the limiting factor at 58ish FPS as I have them limited in precision X so that they don't run silly frame rates and over-work.

I run on the highest settings with textures and shadows on ultra, and I have never noticed the game use over 2.8gb of VRAM, but it seems many others are getting lock ups and other issues with textures ramped up. I am using 5910x1080 res, so I would imagine it shouldn't be using as much as that for ppl running only 1080.

Last night I deleted:

PlanetSide2.exe
    ActivityUserData.ini
    LaunchPad-user.ini
    LoadingScreen.xml
    InputProfiles.xml
    SoundSettings.xml
    UserOptions.ini
    vivoxoal.dll
    vivoxsdk.dll

And re-scanned, I played for over 6 hours and the black screen flickering issue did not occur, however, I had one lock up after four hours, then a CTD quickly after when just sat at the warp gate.

I did find two errors in my event log that show on my system though, this one once I have restarted it:

aulting application name: nvxdsync.exe, version: 8.17.13.3221, time stamp: 0x52b32dce
    Faulting module name: nvxdsync.exe, version: 8.17.13.3221, time stamp: 0x52b32dce
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000001d067
    Faulting process id: 0x17c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2c2b348f8dbc
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvxdsync.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvxdsync.exe
    Report Id: 764a5aee-981e-11e3-82ac-000a3a54789a
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

And this one shows randomly:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
    CMDre 00000000 00000454 01200000 00000004 00000010

Again, no driver or adapter errors logged when the game crashes, and my GPU and CPU is rock solid in everything else.

Up until now I have been running the laters driver 332.21, however I just checked and noticed there is an update today 334.89 so I will also try that.

It's very frustrating with all the crashes though I agree, makes me want to just not bother at times.
  12. ncDieseL

Only if you have other applications running using up memory. If you haven't got 4GB available when running the game, then an upgrade might help. However, if you are already running 8GB of RAM an upgrade isn't likely to do anything.
  13. user101

I am going to put my 2 cents in here - after updated my bios in the PC the game stopped crashing -- that update put in intel visulation tech in the bios and turned it on. After updating to PhysX 1220 it also ran better. But I use the 331.82 driver not the newest stuff.
    And I had to set every thing to performance also in the setting to get PS2 to run good. And I don't run any 3D drivers or game enhancement drivers. Nivida game enhancer is not in my PC or any of other stuff they offer for power and over clocking. None of it worked. And just made things worse.

It took me a long time to get to this to stop the crashing. But it does work. I run medium on texture and high on particles.

The DEV's say ultra is for 4K monitors and will only be supported in 64 bit when it comes out later this year. PS2 32 bits will only have low -medium or high in it. Setting to ultra does no good in 32 bits. SOE pulled one over on you...!
  14. Rougen

Are you really sure that ultra is only 4k rez that no one really has at the moment??

Do you think this is why my PC is crashing a lot as the 32bit process isn't really optimised for this mode?
  15. Vyycan

Shut your pc off. Open your pc. Take out the core and put some liquid cooling on it's bottom. Put the core back and close the pc. Then start it up.