[Suggestion] Mech Please!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by fluffypuffy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. DeusExForever

This one...

Walkers were fun additions. They could go where armor couldn't, but were as vulnerable as infantry (especially as an Engineer with the Pilum anti-everything rifle; or Support with endless ammo crate of EMP grenades, too!). :)

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. MetalCotton

I can see Mechs being better at climbing terrain, moving through more urban environments, and being capable of using comparable weaponry to the armor we have now at the cost of slower movement speed and less armor. They should be able to fill the roles normal armor(Lightnings/MBTs) can't do so well in this game, like fight in the cramped areas of an Amp Station or decimate infantry that try to get in close.

I understand that most people would be a bit against them due to the common "GIANT ROBOT KILLING EVERYTHING" conception, but in reality they don't have to be as big and dangerous as all that. And for the record, BFRs only put the final nail in the coffin for a game that was already mean to infantry.

Of course adding mechs of any kind into this game at all would be a stretch considering SOE can't even balance the current vehicles in the game.
  3. Regpuppy

Every topic I see with these it's either going to be a stronger/worse max or a stronger/worse tank. Either way, it's overlapping and would eat up a huge amount of dev time for something that can already be accomplished by current assets.

I'd rather have simpler looking utility vehicles with unique abilities than a mech for the sake of having a mech. One that would require a lot of new assets and complex rigging/animation compared to just using a conventional vehicle. One that would also expected to do what mechs usually do in in other war games/movies/shows; kill stuff.

Because making a mech just to give it a job as resource runner or support would be nonsensical when the game isn't mech-heavy to begin with. Which is why pretty much every suggestion has it being another version of a tank/max.

You see what I mean?
  4. ZenitHMaster

Well, still multi crewed bfrs would be an instant fix to balance:
    [IMG]
  5. Colt556

I skipped the thread cuz I feel like pointing out something. MBTs in PS2 are the same as BFRs in PS1. The reason BFRs ruined PS1 is because they broke the system that vehicles abided by. The stronger the vehicle, the more players it required to use. MBTs required both a driver and gunner. But BFRs gave the power of an MBT to a single player. Sounds familiar, right? That's exactly what PS2 MBTs do, the power of an MBT in the hands of a single player. So PS2 ALREADY suffers from the reason BFRs ruined PS1, so at this point adding BFRs wont hurt anything.
  6. SpartanZero

BFRs, OP, BFRs will break vehicle combat.... An so the flame wars continue.

BF2142 made walkers fit perfectly into their 32/64p modes. They were mostly useful as anti-infantry suppression and a difficult terrain anti-armor counter. In the open they were easily dispatched. In close quarters as a 2 pilot system, they were lethally impossible to dispatch if managed by an expert pilot/gunner system with supporting by infantry personnel. They were lightly armored, with a nice blend of weapons, primary+secondary for the pilot, copilot with a single weapon turret.

I honesty could care less on the mechanical engineering theorems of what we can or can't currently do in this field, we are constantly challenging an surpassing the current understanding of physics/mechanics with every 5-10 years.

If a Battle Frame Robotic vehicle were designed properly, it should sit somewhere in the range of a Harasser meets Lightning blend for terms of survival and firepower. I cannot see them being OP just useful in some areas. Granted an elite pilot in the seat of anything is going to push the envelope of gains vs survive ability, but that is a card played well by the player themself an not by factor of vehicles design.

Lots of people cried about how poor the vanguard/prowler/Magrider during any given phase of nerf/buff. Yet, speaking as a tanker I've always found I survive longer than many others. I don't always suicide my vehicle to the front an use it to support or counter where needed picking the times to fight an when to run. Doing my best to not get overwhelmed from multiple angles an remain situationally aware of my surroundings threats an friendly positions. I've shot down so many pilots (libs+ESFs) plenty of which were not simply floating low or making straight on runs, many were actively hunting my tank from high angles. An due much to practice as well utilizing terrain an trajectory to defeat them. I've had a lot of "wtf / good shot / wow's / how the hell" tells.

Obviously if they make a bipedal/quadraped mech an make it stronger in all respects than an MBT then yes.. shooting themselves in the foot to drive players off. An quite frankly I don't want a big heavy hitting take a beating mech. I want something that is light, versatile, packs a punch, yet low survive ability.
    • Up x 1
  7. Foxirus

Not really. I do not look forward to a weapon that only platoons could use. It doesn't fix the balancing in the slightest.