[Suggestion] Mech Please!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by fluffypuffy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. fluffypuffy

I know this has been posted before BUT WE F**KING NEED THEM. Though we have pretty much run out of vehicle room, this would be a great edition. The thread below was posted to long ago to be thought about, but now! click the link or look below.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/forget-bfr-reinvent-the-mech.88710/

posted feb 3 2013
    2 Versions

The Light Mech - similar health as the Lighting Tank, more firepower to compensate slower movement and easier to hit (because of height), more manuverbility than tank, can strafe and climb easier. Operate by 1 man just like Lighting.

[IMG]

The Heavy Mech - Slightly more health than the MBT, more firepower to compensate the slower speed and taller height than light mech. Operate by 1-2 man just as the MBT, with secondary weapon mount on the shoulder.

[IMG]

Of course they can be destroy easier than tanks by tracking rockets & tank shells due to slower speed and taller height. There's no OP Mech here.

• Up x 4
  2. starlinvf

We can't go half a page without a thread complaining about vehicles, and now you want to add one that is basically a MAX with more firepower and HP.

There were a mountain of reason BFRs were such a critical failing point in Planetside history. And stretches far beyond basic "stats", player perception, or even necessity.... and that was an express lack of purpose beyond existing for its own sake.

Ask yourself.... what role would this fill that one of the tank don't already fill, without being mechanically superior to it.
    • Up x 1
  3. ColonelChingles

Although I'm against giant mechs, I do think there is one role that vehicles can't fill yet... a CQB anti-infantry shock trooper.

When you're in a tank, what's one of the most common ways you die to infantry? Usually it's when they all get up on a hill and launch explosives at you. Since they're on the higher ground, you can't count on splash to hit them, so only direct hits count. And given how slowly tank shells travel, this can be difficult (more so if they have an army of necromancer medics).

A light CQB anti-infantry shock trooper would be able to leap over that mountain and land in the middle of that infantry nest, destroying them in close quarters with an automatic grenade launcher (like the Fury) and a LMG (like the Kobalt). This would be the vehicle answer to entrenched infantry, and would be countered by anything that is not infantry. It shouldn't even be able to take down a Harasser by itself.

So if you added one of those to the game it would be balanced (a snack for enemy air and armor) but fill an important role that actually improves the experience of other vehicles.
    • Up x 3
  4. ZenitHMaster

Why not make them work like the titans or whatever they called in Pacific Rim? It would be cool and the mech would only move when BOTH users pressed the same buttons... I could see that getting internesting!
    • Up x 2
  5. ZenitHMaster

Really nice ideas, but I DONT think there should be another weapon, just the 2 arm ones. Also, these need to be hard to operate, like taking a pair or team to work
    • Up x 1
  6. asmodraxus

Nice pics, but no thanks

After the past few years of SOE new toys being incredibly balanced on release (Strikers, Phoenixs, Lancers, max unit abilities, Harasser Empire specific guns, empire specific sniper rifles, tank AI guns etc) do we really need a rehash of the old BFR's from the first planetside 1.

With all that entails, like a significant part of the player base disappearing almost instantly (ie vets from the first game).

There is a reason there is no mechs in planetside 2, SOE promised us veterens that there would be no BFR's or anything like them, also for good reasons.

Just think of the destruction of the following play styles
    Infantry play in open field combat
    Vehicle combat
    Air combat

As that is what they did upon release.

Now lets do some maths

If PS1 vets $ spent > new player $ spent = no BFR's
    If PS1 vets $ spent < new player $ spent = possible BFR
    • Up x 1
  7. DorianOmega

Actually BFR's only failed and ended up being considered game breaking for a short while because they suffered from an initial P2W factor with the addition of the expansion that added BFR's, Timers were insane for BFR'se but were later fixed (this on top of the fire power was why they were so CRAZY at first...), and people could hack their game to get the expansion content for free making the P2W factor worse, beyond that cant find many people that considered BFR's OP beyond this initial factor, they were giant targets that EVERYONE would focus on without need of basic comms because of the whole "ITS A GIANT ROBOT" factor...

Mechs would be awesome for this game, they can serve an plethora of purposes tanks cannot fill with bipedal mobility over rolling on wheels or tracks or hovering alone, maybe we can even get jump jets on mechs if they are ever added in this game like they had in PS1, something around 3-5 meters high would be cool over walking Goliaths that were like 5-8M+ as seen here:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  8. Foxirus

The mechs would never move. Ever.
    • Up x 2
  9. KnightCole

I would love a rompy stompy robot in this game as well, but itwould just be one more thing SoE nerfs into the ground. Plus it would probably look lame and be very NS...
  10. DorianOmega

Fixed it.
  11. Neo3602

I think that it would be cool if it was added, but I could live without it.
  12. KnightCole

And im sure it was the JJ version that really sealed the deal on everyone's hatred for them....

I wouldnt want a JJ BFR. I want something like the Mantis from Halo 4, or that odd alien robot thing from District 9....or maybe something a little heftier....I have many ideas as to how they could be implemented, but JJ isnt one..
  13. ZenitHMaster

Yeah too many uncoordinated people...
  14. WarmasterRaptor

So, a thread about beefier MAXes?
  15. =ADK= Turrican13

go play Titanfall....
  16. khai

What I think SOE should do is the same thing I have thought about every major change so far. Pick a continent, preferably a new one and add them only there. If they are popular and successful then include it in new areas. I thought the same thing about the lattice system and galaxy AMS but for some reason SOE does not want variety in its game play.
  17. TheMadCapper

I agree fully that we need mechs. However i think they should not be as powerful as the BFR from PS1. I think everyone agrees that those things were way too OP. Making them more powerful than the tanks but not as powerful as the originals is probably a better idea.
  18. Akashar

For the lol
  19. =ADK= Turrican13

I'd like to see multiple Maxes join together into one giant Robot, like Voltron, only laggier...
    • Up x 1
  20. Scett

a watered down version of "twitch plays pokemon" would be more likely.
    i for one wouldn't mind seeying a giant max spazzing out on the battlefield.

kindof like this.

• Up x 1