Maxed out Engineer Tool for What?!

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ForeverFree, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ForeverFree

Silly me, I spent 500 on the last upgrade of the engineer tool and can't see much of an improvement on this last certification for the life of me. :( Very disappointed.
  2. 4GibMe

I too can't see any difference from default to any of the upgrades.

But it is all over the forums that upgrades of any kind to anything aren't doing much of anything besides riping you off. Been through the same thing with the jet pack on the light assault, there is no dif between default and any of the upgrades, nothing, zero.
  3. Vortok

Repair tool upgrades are, to my knowledge, basically a linear upgrade path (something like 5% a rank). If you repair a turret you'll notice it, but it isn't a huge increase over the previous rank. Just slightly better. Not a waste as often the stuff you're repairing will be under fire so having that little extra repair power can help the vehicle/turret/MAX survive the oncoming onslaught a little bit better.
  4. Eric Smith

I maxed it out. It shaves a couple seconds off repair time of a base turret. It's not a huge improvement, but I do notice it. Then again, I often times "XP Mine" by going to bases and repairing turrets while I'm watching TV, so anything that speeds up that process saves me real world time when I'm just screwing around.
    • Up x 2
  5. Dakkaface

A single rank isn't terribly different - because as noted, each upgrade seems to be a straight 5% or some static number in difference. I upgraded straight from no certs to rank 4, and the difference was immediately noticeable. You heal more before overheating and can keep a MAX healed while he stands in direct fire. That said, there are much more interesting things to unlock for the 650 certs I could spend on the last two ranks for only a 10-ish percent faster repair. The first four ranks are really all you need.
  6. Compass

Yes, it improves. A turret/generator normally requires 3 overheat cycles without ups. With ups, goes down to 2. <_<
    • Up x 2
  7. tugernut

this^
    it works great, im a pilot n have mine at 5 , it comes in super handy for those quick land n heals
    base turret repairs in 2 rounds is far superior then the no cert 4 rounds you start with
  8. FateJH

I wish the last few levels for the ACE were something to write home about for the cost they impose.
  9. Stanis

Since it's going to take a few hours saturday afternoon to get wth double XP on top of boosts and premium access ... I'll be buying the 500 cert expensive things while I'm getting more certs than I know what to do with.
  10. Gearlock

Yeah I was literally angry when I learned this. Its ONE TICK away from healing a turret in 2 cycles instead of 3 at the 2nd to last rank.

Only way to 2 cycle heal up a turret is with max rank.

Expensive and worth it, but surely I'm not the only one who went to test on a turrent and went "OH COME ON!!!'

I still love my engy tho.
  11. Cyridius

I'm maxed out on the Engi tool and I have noticed a difference. I'm quite satisfied with it as it is now, but I really think after putting in 700 or so certs into something it SHOULD be a bit more excessive.
  12. Torsion

I'd like to see the repair range increased per rank as well.
  13. Jawa

With lvl 5 engi tool I can repair a dead turret to 99%
    With lvl 6 I would be able to repair it to full in two goes.

The XP stays the same at least, so it's worth it to upgrade it for speedier repairs.
    A slight range increase per level would be really sweet
  14. AssaultPig

I maxed it out on beta just to try it out, but I haven't done that on live. I have the penultimate rank, but for 500 certs the last upgrade is just too marginal. It doesn't add enough repair speed to make any difference when you're trying to repair something under fire, and a small decrease in the time it takes to repair some random phalanx turret isn't worth the cost of the upgrade.

Maybe if the top rank added a small range increase to the tool or did something else interesting I could get motivated to save up the certs, but otherwise there's a million more useful things to buy.
  15. Lovecraft

Exactly this. 500 certs is way too much for the incremental bump that last level gets ya' (imo)... way too many other useful places to spend those cps...
  16. Duckforceone

i refuse to pay 500 certs for one more tick before overheating..

it does not repair faster
    it does not repair longer range
    it does not give more xp

it only overheats a bit slower.. that's it... not worth the last one...
  17. Pashgan

FYI: if you overheat the tool during turret rep - you are doing it wrong because it takes additional time to cool down.
    • Up x 2
  18. Ayabe

That is probably still more effective than stopping/starting before the overheat because you're going to lose a second or two during the transition.
  19. Mattk50

if it takes a whole second im surprised you survive in a fps game

(it doesnt, and the cool down is an order of magnitude faster if you dont let it overheat)
  20. Adamar09

Yes it does, no it doesn't.

Where do people get these ideas?