MAX Kinetic Armour.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by MaxDamage, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Kicker

I have certed 3 bubbles into the kinetic armor. Working on the 4th now. I would like to say i see a difference but the truth is it feels the same. i still die extremely fast to small arms fire. Maybe later ill get with a team mate and test this out.
  2. Con411

Ok, which part of 3% extra protection at level 3 did you not understand ?

You take 100 points of damage without your kinetic armour
    You take 97 points of damage with your level 3 kinetic armour

It really is that simple. That said you are better off using the flak armour its cheaper and it gives you 25 % extra protection against grenade spam.
  3. lifelonghalo

So basically, your class has a cooldown, costs resources, and you totally rely on another class in order to be effective.

Sources: this thread
    • Up x 1
  4. DrTeeth

We're hoping that it *isn't* that simple, given that:

1) 2250 certs for such a paltry reduction is completely crazy.
    2) There are other armor certs (such as ESF) where it says 8% but apparently that is equivalent to a 50% reduction.
  5. gilrad

The whole point of this thread is that the listed 3 percent might not actually be 3 percent. It says it adds 3 percent to the small arms resistance. So 3%+x%>3%.

Kicker, what server do you play on? Do you want to test this theory once and for all?
  6. DrTeeth

Ok, I decided to spend my points and test this.. it was a quick and dirty test as follows:

I got an Engi friend to fire 10 shots at me with his default carbine (TRAC-5).

Without the suit mod, the 10 shots removed:

roughly 6 bars (chest)
    roughly 12 bars (head)
    roughly 5 bars (leg)

With level 4 of the Kinetic Armor, the 10 shots removed:

roughly 4 bars (chest)
    roughly 9 bars (head)
    roughly 3 bars (leg)

I had the bio lab benefit active at the time, and didn't get exact figures, so everything is + or - 1 bar, but the comparison stands.

It looks like level 4 is about a 20% reduction, so maxed it could be a 25% reduction. Head shots do double damage, which freakin' sucks imo. I think that should be removed.
    • Up x 9
  7. MasterSith88

If this test is true then that means maxes do have an 80% small arms fire damage reduction instead of the super high hp amount.

Incoming damage on an uncerted max would be 20% of normal and with fully certed armor it would be 15% of normal which means an effective 25% reduction in incoming damage at max level.

Great info guys, thanks.
  8. Bloodburn

An hero enters the arena!
  9. Spartan 117

Thank you for providing some test data for everyone. I would still like to see more if possible. I am really hoping Kinetic Armor ends up being the solution to MAX's current state. They seem to be vulnerable to everything & die wayyy to easily. This cert line needs to make MAX's far more durable to be on par with the auto-repair cert line.
  10. absolofdoom

I just finished getting nano-regen maxed out on Friday but I'm interested now after these results. How many bars of health does a MAX have total, to give me a better idea?
  11. Naj

I just tried a brief test with a friend of mine.

Him: Engineer with NC Rebel pistol, red dot attached

No Kinetic Armor, 8 bodyshots did 8 notches of damage, with a very slight amount into the 9th notch.
    With level 1 Kinetic Armor ("1%") 8 bodyshots did 7 notches of damage, with a very slight amount into the 8th notch.
  12. absolofdoom

Man, now I have to cert this too.
  13. -lOldboyl-

I have Kinetic armour certed, it seems to make a difference with small armies fire. I've even wiped out entire 4-5 man teams before having to sprint away to cover.

Of course you naturally have to avoid grenades and other explosives. But if you get up close and personal to enemies and time the sprints properly you can utter devastate enemy squads and small groups of infantry.
  14. Lohk

Thank you Thank yuou Thank you Thank you Thank you oh my god thank you.
  15. MexelVanMexelen

Thanks for some hard data!
    I'm very glad about the head shot data. I played right through beta and followed the forums quite closely. I don't recall headshot damage being neutered, and this confirms it.
  16. medbot544

So, if I take rank 5 of this....I won't get utterly wrecked by small arms fire like I do right now?

At this point, stock MAX seems to have only slightly more durability than a HA. Then again I could play HA instead like everyone else....

Head shot multipliers don't help. Friend told me they removed it but I guess they put it back in, eh? :(
  17. Hoki

What server are you on? I would like to help test this to find out for sure, with 3 bubbles certed, if it is indeed 15% instead of 3% it will be easy to detect.
  18. JoCool

So according by what DrTeeth found out we get

x*100/(100-base resistance) = Y // x:= % certed resistance , 100=total hitpoints, base resistance:=80, Y= % effective resistance

That makes more sense anyway than what we assumed before since the engineer's repair-tool-amount directly scales directly with it.

Thanks a lot for your testing DrTeeth. Now we ought to get somebody with FLAK armor to find out the FLAK base resistance. I just wish a Dev would pop his head in and give us base resistance for small arms and explosives. Would be so much easier.
  19. Vortok

[IMG]

Doctor... Engineer. Same difference.
  20. JoCool

Looks like the MAX has a base resistance of 20% to direct explosive hits...

Test with ML-7 (standart issue TR launcher) 1 shot to the chest, roughly:

Each of the 2 Healthbars contains 10 bars (summed them up from 20 each because I like it).
    ~46,25% HP left with FLAK armor level 0 ~equals ~11,5 bars removed.
    ~54,00% HP left with FLAK armor level 2 ~equals ~9,7 bars removed.

If MAXes would receive 100% explosive damage by default, we would have gotten different results (10,3 bars removed at level 2!), but we do not. This means MAX units have a base resistance against explosives. It means without the base resistance, the MAX would lose 14,375 bars at the direct chest hit.

Premise: Both health bars = same amount of HP.

Could mean that lvl 2 Flak armor gives an effective ~12,5% effective additional protection over an uncerted MAX. Could mean that the FLAK armor at level 5 gives ~31,25% effective additional protection. Could mean that at level 5 FLAK, the MAX would lose just 70% of his first healthbar with a direct chest hit.

Nice, I'm gonna keep on certing FLAK armor. 31,25% less damage from C4, Grenades, HEAT, AoE damage, all of that at Level 5? Count me in.
    • Up x 1