Longshot vs. Railjack: Some Numbers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Planetdoge, Feb 27, 2014.

1. skifton

BTW your forum sig is ironic.

"Give the NC more railguns/gauss weapons, NOT shotguns."

They give us a railgun that isn't a straight upgrade and you moan about it like a simpleton who doesn't see its strengths.
    • Up x 6
  2. gnometheft

Do you really think distant standing still targets are easier to hit if a shot takes longer? Why?
    The longshot and railjack drop are identical. You are probably one of the people who didnt try it judging by this.
    ... Ironic doesnt fit that context. Opinions about cool factor arent really redundant towards bad mechanics and I hardly meant or expressed the opposite of what I want. I still want a railgun, Railguns are cooler than shotguns at least to me in most places, still has to be a sidegrade though, which this is not, it is just worse. It totally has that cool factor though.
  3. GoyoElGringo

You assume too much. My experience in testing the weapon ended with the PTS version, which is why I added that disclaimer. And you seem to think that I don't know what 300m looks like as well, which is a bold and baseless assumption.

Maybe you're content with a 200m ohk range, but some people like to be able to ohk for that extra 100m. I personally use a 12x scope more than anything, but I understand that putting a 12x scope on the Phaseshift might not be everyone's cup of tea.
  4. skifton

The shot takes longer to fire, yes. But the bullet velocity makes a kill against a still target much easier. There might not be much difference in drop (although when I used it there did seem to be *some* difference)...perhaps that was just the velocity tricking me.

In any case, the bullet velocity more than makes up for the 0.15 second delay in firing, especially at long ranges (where the RailJack is supposed to excel).

That said, they did nerf the mag size to 4. Which is pretty crappy.
  5. Odin

lol go buy the failjack, I am over it. Any competent shooter can feel and see its a crappier longshot. Arguing semantics is getting old.
    GG Sony nice work on the failjack rofl
  6. Epicstrat

People fail to understand, at a range of 300m it takes about .11 seconds fewer to reach the target with the Railjack than the Longshot. That number is less at shorter ranges. Not a significant advantage.
  7. gnometheft

I think you might have it the other wayy around. according to ops post the longshot hits a target faster even at 300m.
  8. Epicstrat

He's accounting for the delay before the shot, I'm talking about from when the bullet leaves the barrel till it hits the target. Sorry, should have mentioned that. OP is correct too.
  9. Epic High Five

I especially enjoy how the Phaseshift is literally no-drop, meaning that the amount of compensation required to fire totally silently and never be on the minimap is a big fat zero.

I suppose if I had to pick my favorite reason as to why the Railjack is a polished turd, it would be that it's either worse or equal to the Longshot in every way, which means that the VS and TR have a superior or equal version of our empire specific gun as well
  10. Loui5D

Just a suggestion, you should have ripped/extracted the audio and then import it into audacity; then just look at the peaks which should be when you fired and compare that with the click sounds of your mouse if you record it whilst your mic is open.
  11. Revanmug

And here is the problem. You liking something doesn't mean it's efficient nor useful.

The C85 modified is awesome at less than 5m and some people like it. I actually find it funny which is why I have it on my harasser.

Still remain a POS though.

And I'm sure that someone who never used a bolt action on his character calling someone with over 22k kills with different bolt action a "simpleton" isn't Ironic?

Maybe you could show me how to use a bolt action maybe? It would be amazing!

I sorry to announce you that it would require you to leave your Reaver. It would also require something more than just a 1 kill every 5 min with mediocre accuracy. I hope you also know where the infantry terminal are. It would be a shame for you to get lost so fast.
  12. IrishPride

Rail jack is Has to be awesome against those AV AI turrets far away or high up on cliffs
  13. Tuco

Longjon silvers vs flapjacks
    • Up x 1
  14. Spartan3123

um did you even read the ops post...
    the whole point of this thread is that the bullet velocity does not make up for the trigger lag

They should have something where you can charge the rifle up by holding the trigger and then releasing... i would be happy with this...
    • Up x 1
  15. GoyoElGringo

I'm not even sure what you're talking about, since I never said whether or not I liked or disliked the railjack or phaseshift. You make far too many assumptions.
  16. AtomicCharge

All the stats made me cry of happiness. I just went past all this in my AP Stats class. I knew that it will not be useless. Awesome work dude :)
  17. Revanmug

I was talking in a general sense and not really targeting you.

The thoughts that something is fine because someone "like it" is wrong though.
  18. GoyoElGringo

Ok, gotcha. I agree with that.
  19. gnometheft

How and why? If they are dead still, how would that possibly help?
  20. DevDevBooday

You can see what the real one is on VR training before buying.
    SOE changed it alot because it was a difficult weapon to get right. There are multiple versions all over the place. :/