Lock ons should not curve around mountains

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Feench, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Feench

This is the most ridiculous mechanic I have ever seen. If I put a d*mn mountain between me and the rocket, the rocket should fly into the mountain. What's the point of weaving through terrain or trying to break the lock. Once they get the lock you might as well just sit there and eat it cause if you don't run flares then there's nothing you can do. And if you do run flares then you get to dodge one rocket then eat the next one. And I'm not just talking ESFs. It should be the same for ground locks as well. If I get my harasser to safety behind something, it shouldn't squeeze through a keyhole, do a 360 kick flip and then smack right into me.

There's nothing more infuriating than that one guy who is just sitting in his scopes waiting for something to lock on to with his annihilator. Who has nothing better to do than annoy any vehicle that comes near.
    • Up x 21
  2. vsae

Amen.

Welcome to planetside where rocket outsmarts you but cannot ohk a soldier.
    • Up x 4
  3. NinjaTurtle

Lock ons should exist at all
    • Up x 2
  4. Goretzu

1. They don't dodge all terrain (so you can make them crash).

2. In a Mozzy you should be able to outrun lock-ons if you are set up right.

3. They'd have to buff lock-ons massively if they just took the most direct route (they'd probably have to scrap G2G lock-ons entirely, as they simply wouldn't hit anything).

4. Maximum flares or smoke make you pretty much immune to lock-ons (that's the trade off, but if you run them you are).

5. Being TR and complaining about Lock-ons after 6 months of the Striker's Reign of Terror(!!111) takes a having skin made of titanium. :eek:
    • Up x 7
  5. Goretzu

That's certainly a possibilty, but the game would need to be heavily redesigned to accomodate that.
    • Up x 1
  6. LUCAGRABACR

But it's the 30th century. :D
    • Up x 3
  7. NinjaTurtle

I disagree, there is already plenty of AA already in the game.

Bursters
    Skyguard
    ESF
    Base AA turrets
    etc etc etc

The removal of one AA doesn't make it impossible to defend against air, it just forces the player to adapt
    • Up x 10
  8. Maelthra

Should lock-on missiles be given sufficient intelligence to be able to tell when their tracking happens to be taking them around a mountain so that they can self-destruct?

(inb4yes)
  9. Fredfred

I been playing with the annihilator, it is too easy to get kills with this thing it is laughable. Since A2G has been nerfed to high hell, why not nerf some of the AA out there too.
    • Up x 1
  10. f0d

they seem to be so smart that they can go round trees/corners/mountains and still hit you no matter how much you avoid them

just today i had a huge head start on one and i hid under a mountain and i watched as it went over the mountain just about do a 180 and avoid a tree and then hit me :(
  11. Goretzu

That would just result in an effective huge (monsterous, in fact) buff for Air and Vehicles (both are fine at present IMO).

They'd need at the very least to add some sort of AV and AA machinegun for infantry, or things like Decimators would have to end up being able to 1 shot MBTs.
  12. Goretzu

The Annihilator (much like the Striker) was always a fairly bad idea, removing the choice of AA or AV (yeah you can dumbfire, but that's a lot harder) for the sake of a bit less DPS (or bit more DPS in the case of the old Striker and more inital DPS now).
  13. f0d

i agree there is plenty of AA options other than lock ons

how about a flak style rocket launcher (like max flak) for HA instead of lock ons and i think it would be just fine having normal dumbfires only for MBT's - they already have to deal with loads of AV counters (like c4's/mines)
    • Up x 1
  14. Xada

Bursters, skyguards, and AA cannons already have a pretty strong effective range if the user knows how to lead.
  15. NinjaTurtle

All it takes is a semi organized effort to destroy a tank as it is, I think on Auraxis they must have ran out of any form of strong alloy because all tanks seem to be made out of wet paper

Infantry don't need anything else, they already have all the tools they need and in terms of ground vehicles they are even more well off than they are with AA...... C4 and AV mana turrets I'm looking at you
    • Up x 1
  16. mooman1080

If anything they should lower the G2A lock on damage, it's kinda insulting that they practically deal the same as A2A, worse so that they didn't get the required line of sight nerf the A2A locks got.
    • Up x 1
  17. Goretzu

Interesting idea, but would have to be a fast as hell (as fast as Burster fire) to be anything more than an annoyance for decent pilots.

The problem with AV is the Lancer would then be by far the best AV weapon in the game, and the Pheonix 2nd so long as the target was within 285m, and the TR would have no ES AV weapon.

Against a solo tank, certainly.

But Zergs would be a different thing, it would hand immense power to the Zerg, not only would they be able to destroy enemy armour and air in seconds, but the underdog would be fairly powerless to fight back.

Currently the infantry portable AV and AA is the only thing an underdog has going for it in that situation, without it, it would be brutal to say the least.

Vehicle and Air camping would be 10x worse than it currently is, if not more.

They do, but AA cannons last about 4 seconds against an AV MBT, and skyguards 2 shots against a Dalton.

Without infantry portable AV and AA to back them up and protect them, they'd be gone instantly.

If you want to see how that works try Skyguarding without support against 2 or 3 decent Libs, you'll be dead before you can go "WT.....". :D

Never mind that you've got to get to things like vehicle terminals an AA turrets to be able to use them in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  18. vsae

Lockon mechanic should only exist in form of current coyotes. There is no reason to have allmighty lockon launchers that dominate air whenever it doesnt even threaten the ground.
    • Up x 4
  19. Tragachinos

I'd be careful with giving lock on missiles intelligence. Next thing you know, they become self aware and start posting on forumside asking for flares nerf.
    • Up x 10
  20. mooman1080

Sounds like combined arms working as intended if you ask me, if the AA doesn't have support of MBT's/Libs and the air does, then of course it's going to lose out, why do we need small scale solutions to everything? It risks a stacking effect that invalidates the thing it counters in large scale fights, see lockons and mana AV turrets.
    • Up x 1