Lock-on launchers more expensive? Make 'em avoid obstacles again!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DevsAnswerMe, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Ronin Oni

For TR I'd actually save the extra bit for the Striker.

Takes more skill but feels more fun to use, and you don't feel cheated by flares or rockets being forced into ground/terrain because the pilot can't control them, but rather have to dodge them (and they don't get warning till they start taking damage.)

It's also better at ranged AV than a grounder, and can unload quickly into short range Sundy busses for attacking AMS's
  2. DevsAnswerMe

As far as I remember the missile did lock back on to its target when it was past the obstacle no matter how far it was away, but depending on that exact distance the target could already be too far away for the missile to catch up with it again. I've had more than enough situations where the missile did indeed fly around the mountain and go after the target but I never got a hit afterwards. And since BY FAR not all ESFs have flares equipped my guess is that by the time the missile had gone around the mountain the target was already too far ahead to get caught up with again.

And yes, as far as I know vehicle stealth also reduces the lock on range for that particular vehicle, so there's still more than enough ways to get away from lock on missiles and make them ineffective!
  3. LordAnnihilator

Hmm. I may need to think about that. Give the two test runs (i wont run munitions pouch though if i go T2 over ASP).
  4. Silkensmooth

If you are into laming A2A pilots flying far above infantry render range then you will not want a striker.

If you want to actually be effective against A2G pilots then the striker is awesome.
  5. Drasilov

Since they were nerfed they are little more than a deterrent. Their range is so low that any ESF pilot with skill just flies through your aim cone in half a second so you dont even get a chance to lockon. If by a miracle you do, your rocket either is hit with a flare, flies into a mountain or the ESF simply outpaces it. All a pilot has to do to avoid any missile is pitch down. The missile will just fly straight into the ground.

If I'm going anti-air I just use a Skyguard or Burster Max now. Rockets are still ok vs ground vehicles though.
  6. Silkensmooth

No pitching down doesnt make the rocket hit the ground most of the time. If you dive behind something the lock hits the ground, in the open it hits the ESF.

Locks shouldnt even exist as they are. There is no difference between G2A locks and Mana AV turrets pre-nerf. Invisible guys on the ground hitting ESF for 42% damage is no different than invisible mana turrets hitting tanks before the nerf.

G2A locks work best on A2A pilots which is completely backwards. Flying A2G it is entirely too easy to avoid a G2A locks. It is when flying high above the ground and especially while engaged with another ESF that the lock-on as it currently stands is at its best.

I die all the time in the game due to G2A locks. Either directly or indirectly. If im in a dogfight 400 meters above the ground some un-rendering guy can hit me for 42% so if i start to get locked i have to either take the damage or try to get out of his los while engaged with another ESF.

The problem is that the ground targets are either literally or in the case of tanks virtually invisible.

The Striker on the other hand is absolutely deadly to A2G ESF who like to hover. 1 volley will do something like 80% damage to an ESF if they all land, and with a little practice against hovering ESF it isnt hard to hit every shot almost every time. Get a buddy with a striker, coordinate fire and rake certs.

On the other hand hitting high flying ESF who are dogfighting is nearly impossible with the Striker and thats exactly how it should be. And even though its very hard to hit high flying planes its a lot more fun to try with a Striker.

With the Striker obviously there is no locking, no waiting to shoot, no warning to the hovering ground pounder pilot that hes about to get pwned.

All locks should work like the Striker.
  7. Ronin Oni

Ground inf don't really care about enemy A2A

... or shouldn't anyways. It's good to help clear the way so your own A2G can pound at the enemy, but honestly when I play inf generally I don't pay much attention to air unless it's hitting us... then I'm pulling something out.

Striker is by and far my favorite AA for any faction.

It's fun like a burster without the 450 nanite price tag (I use resources for my own farming ESF's and AV tanks :p as such, I rarely, rarely, pull a MAX, so pulling one for AA feels like a waste, and Skyguard I can't even use after chasing the air off... now if I could swap my Skyguard for an AP lightning I'd spawn skyguards all the time.)

Vehicle loadout swapping needs to happen IMO.

Armor can swap for AA, Air can swap for A2A... let us adapt.

I don't care if Armor can swap at any base and Air has to fly to WG or Facility (seems fair)

At a minimum I feel armor should be able to change, but it seems if they're gonna add the system then Air should get it too.

Oh, and you can force G2A missiles into the ground by pitching down... but you have to be low in the first place. You're right if you're high in the skys you can't do that. Your ONLY option then is to force the missile into your opponent (Works less than it fails, but I've gotten several to hit enemies... Libs and Gals are almost cheating to use :p ) which is not reliable.

It's actually why Flares is a good option for A2A pilots, while for A2G flares is kinda a joke. If it was still the only counter for Coyotes I'd consider it a must even.

ANyways, I recommend flying low generally, even for A2A.
  8. Rentago

The only thing I want is for missiles to be ditched using maneuvers.

I hate that even if you dodge a homing missile it'll perform a 180 right into your face, the only way to lose them is with flares or diving them into the ground or having a mountain between you and them.

The fun with them isn't there, they are purely meant to shut down anything flying in the air.

I of course want something in exchange for this, since that means you'll use more ammunition to shoot someone down you either have rockets hurt more against aircraft or you carry more ammo.
  9. DevsAnswerMe

Except that u get a lock-on warning and, depending on the situation, can either get the **** outta there or deploy ur flares, finish whatever ur doing and THEN get the **** outta there!

Which pretty much confirms my ealier assumption, that u just SUCK!

To which there are 2 solutions:
    1. Equip ******' flares, deploy them in the last possible moment, shoot down the other ESF and get the **** outta there!
    2. Make sure u don't fight ESFs above their territory which also makes it more likely that the ENEMY ESF takes a hit from a lock-on and becomes less of a problem for u!

Well then reduce the ******' range to 300 already so ppl quit whining! But the avoiding of obstacles needs to be brought back!

Hail naw, u just need to learn how to ******' avoid getting hit by the damn lock-ons! They're already ineffective WITHOUT being too stupid to detect stuff in their path!
  10. FieldMarshall