Latest patch = Total nerf for LA (in my opinion anyway)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kildorragh96, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Compass

You can throw C4 through the window plugs IIRC. That solves the problems.
  2. JonboyX

Good post OP - I hadn't really thought of many of those points as I don't use the GL for example, and tend to fire through windows rather than go through them (don't like the vulnerability as you go through).

I think they could better have fixed windows by having pale shields which allow bullets and hand grenades to pass, but not rockets (plane or HA) or tank shells. Covering the windows = taking the windows out of the base without having to rebuild the object. Make-do solution.

On the whole, I think the LA class needs a bit of buffing work. Reason being that outside of basic armour, as you get more certs it's actually pretty hard to make your class better in infantry combat (exclude guns & attachments here - they're cross-class).

I think the difference really shows in typical indoor fight scenarios of LA vs HA. HA should always win a toe-to-toe fight, but as you level up, Heavies also win even if you get the first shot off as they can pump certs in to boost shield. LAs have nothing to boost damage in these fights, or boost damage mitigation, which in effect means that as we approach end game, the balance will keep moving further over to heavies. Topline summary; you can get an edge at level1 by jumping on a building and jetting off. You don't get any more advantage at level4 jets. You get to jump up more frequently, but if you're not in combat it's not that great a bonus.

I'd cite the same for self healing medics - maybe not quite as defined a change. And I'm waiting to really see how SMGs will shift the infil balance, but I suspect they will - and in favour of infils.

I don't have a substantial answer to this. Cling to ceiling (inverted :) )would be cool, but probably overpowered.
  3. Deladin

I have no issues either. Yes it makes it harder for light assaults to come rushing through windows, but still allows for then to fire into them. My only gripe is that grenades are STILL complete worthless **** if you need to throw it more then 6 inches and have any sort of obstacle. If SOE can ever make a grenade that you can actually throw with any margin of accuracy, you know like every other damn FPS, then the windows will not be so bad. You can throw some flash in the windows, then stack and rush the room through the door.

I would really have no problem with the old windows, but the change was needed because the windows were used FAR more often to just spam tank and lib shells through them, then light assualts flying through them.

Sadly, the loser tank spammers that refuse to get out of their tanks to take a base and just want to farm kills from 400 meters away ruined windows for the LA's

Now all that being said, they DO need to do something to make LA more desirable, as right now, HA is the do all, do it all the best, and live to tell about it class. Frustrating when for every one LA you see, there are 6 HA popping shields and laying waste with rocket spam and CARV automatic sniper rifles.
  4. Ayre

Good. Only solid counter to a LA is another LA and I will be happy with less of them. If you cant adapt, you're playing the wrong class.
  5. Marcus Sateda

I like this.
    Still gives the LA the "mobility" advantage but makes the "vehicle shooting through the window" thing a think of the past.
    :cool:
  6. Curse_Gamerkin

The windows are nice, and you shouldnt be able to fly straight into a room the team is trying to defend. if you fly 10 feet to the left, balcony! crisis adverted.
  7. Ronin Oni

Funny cause I was still killing people passing the windows with my prowler.

Meanwhile the hole in the windows aren't even placed well for troops inside to aim out.

Honestly the whole thing should go... I want my old windows back.

I used to use them as a quick escape for any class, and an alternate route in for LA.

I used to be able to effectively fight from the windows.

And replacing with a shield would be even worse... so people can shoot out but NOBODY can shoot back? yah... we really need more of those spots on the map :rolleyes:
  8. jak

The biggest thing that irritates me is the Maniac Helmet. Why did that go to the medic? It's kind of the definition of our playstyle. HOW DARE THEY!
  9. K2k4

I think this patch also introduced a number of weapon lag issues which have also caused major class imbalance. the spread of my jaguar and shotgun seem to have greatly increased despite apparent improvements to the shotgun in the patches notes the gun feels weaker than before. i suspect this is intended to promote buying SMGs over previous weapons but it still means we have been nerfed.
  10. Sapare

SMG's, not many entrances, mines everywhere, total overburdens of hackers(worst for LA because they ALWAYS know where you are and headshot you no matter what you do).
    After 250 hours of LA and getting only really mad at the liberator spam earlier in this game I can say, I see little reason to still play LA. My gameplay has gone down the drain beause everything kills you everytime you step your foot out of a warpgate.
    What is the point of a jetpack if we cant use it anymore and even positional advantage is ruined because somehow everyone always know where you are(and I am using silenced guns). And then there are mines(Which I never anymore seem to see), and the SMG means an infiltrator can own you close quaters.(I am NOT switching to SMG because everyone is)
  11. Talizzar

I stink at going in and out of windows so not a big deal for me. At least I don't have to worry about being shelled in there now.
  12. Kildorragh96

Sorry I missed out in my OP, I meant the windows could be shot into with small arms fire as well as out (which is what I meant with explosive nullifier). However this has sparked an idea for me...

Just an idea mind, but it could be a pretty interesting mechanic to have shields on the windows of a building, that can only be shot out of but not into, but only on one or two sides? And also the shields do not include the door. Then you could stick a shield generator-lite in the basement of the main building that could disable these shields. It'd give you a highly defensible building that is still quite easy to overrun if you can get to the back without being seen. Possibly throw a teleporter in there too? Would give more dynamic feel to battles I think, as opposed to throw numbers at the opposition until you can camp the spawn

I disagree with this. The whole point of the LA is to be able to go where no other class can get, I almost think of them as a second infiltrator. If the enemy is defending the room properly, then they will have men shooting out of the windows and the LA won't be able to get in anyway. Besides, once we do get in, what are we going to do? If we're not immediately seen we'll get a few kills before we're gunned down because it's about 1 vs 30.
  13. Kildorragh96

I was more sad about the fact that we can't use the windows in smaller 1v1 or 1v2 scenarious as an escape route. If you've got one guy capping a point in a building with windows, he used to think, where is the LA going to come from? The roof? One of the windows? Or will he double bluff me and come up the stairs?

Now he just thinks "I'll crouch here, point my gun at the entrance and if the LA comes in he gets BLAMMO'ed, same as everyone else
  14. Doublefrost

I hate the new window covers. Shields that infantry can pass through would be much better. Better still if it required a special tool slot item, like the Sunderer's ability to crash through shields. One way only projectile shields. No fire in on the protected windows, just fire out.
  15. glohkamp

Would it really be so hard to have shutters on the windows that open and close? A little switch to their side?

Imagine having open windows that you can freely shoot from or enter/exit a building from. Then the armor columns and aircraft come in to start shelling the place, and you lower the shutters for blast protection. WHAT A CONCEPT. I took inspiration from, well, real shutters.

This seems like a fair compromise. You could even have infiltrators or really any other infantry just running around opening up windows to try and peel back some defense. Or maybe you want to limit the exit opportunities that a LA might be counting on, and you lower the shutters and camp the point. It would add depth, provide protection from relentless shelling, and it would allow units to shoot and move through the windows without gimmicky energy shields.
  16. Caladin

With a little adapting, I believe this idea could work; instead of shutters, you have a shield that goes up and down.
    This shield cannot be fired through from either direction when up; thus, it prevents random shelling without also setting up invincible fire positions everywhere (and still providing a way to shoot out)

However, whether the shield is up or down, it can be passed through by infantry, thus giving the LA it's mobility back.

(Plus, these new engi turrets can easily get a shot through the gap from a long distance away, bringing the issue in regards to prowler spam back)