Latest patch = Total nerf for LA (in my opinion anyway)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kildorragh96, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Kildorragh96

First off, lets just say I'm not full on complaining it is their game which they provide to us for free so they are free to do what changes they wish. However, I have to say I personally wish that they would revert at least a few of their changes because I really feel that the LA has been given the short end of the stick here.

The first change that I wish that they would change back is defender only jump pads. I loved being able to use my jetpack to alter your trajectory after you were launched off the pad, and I'd use it to make sure I landed right on top of the shield gen from out of nowhere. Obviously this is no longer possible. Although I can understand this change, I still think they could have implemented it better. For example, maybe have three pairs of jump pads that only go one way instead of one continuous circuit. So if the links were between A-B, C-D and E-F, the attackers would still be able to use the jump pads without being able to attack from all sides thanks to just one sunderer.

One of the more serious issues that I think has unfairly gimped us: These "shielded" windows. Just cut my mobility in half, why don't you. The whole point of an LA is to be able to go places no one else can go, and for me personally was windows a very big part of this strategy. You could use them for all kinds of things, say youre being chased by a HA into a building, I'd jump out of one window, fly over the top to the other side and take him out when he least suspected it. No longer possible. You have one way in, the door, same as everyone else, losing any advantage you'd have over a Heavy. My solution is to this one is to have shielded windows, but as in the same type of shield that the spawn doors have, one that allows you to shoot out but not in, however infantry can pass through freely. Not only would this make buildings much more defensible (something that the game would more than likely benefit from), the LA would be able to ambush like the (3) days ago of old.

The third thing that I'd wish they'd change back is the Grenade Launchers trajectory. Completely fine with the damage/radius whatever they did, I don't care about how much damage it does as long as it's reasonable it's fine. However, the trajectory has just been F'ed in the A, but only if you're a Light Assault, and heres why: Pre-patch, the higher you were above your opponent, the more of an advantage you had against an enemy (something almost exclusive to the light assault). Engineers could definitely still get some use out of it, especially since they can resupply it, but they'd have to first find a good position and then set up shop, much like with their turret. Now however, the GL is much more suited to shooting over cover, and the advantages have been completely flipped. The range has become far shorter, the drop off happens sooner and is more intense, and it's now basically become impossible to aim if you arent level with your enemy. By this I mean that in order to hit someone who is a reasonable distance away from me im having to aim right into the sky with literally no reference points.

This is just how I see it, but as far as I'm concerned the main reasons you would pick a LA over any other class is because of your:

Jetpack - Less useful (so nerfed)
    Mobility - Climbing through windows etc (nerfed)
    Advantage via Elevation - Nerfed (not only with the GL but also now the fact that anyone who spawns and goes up the lift will be exactly level with you should you be on a rooftop where an LA will usually spend 60-70% of his time.

Don't get me wrong I'm open to new ideas, and this is just my opinion but if somewhere along the line these patches have actually closed a door but opened a window (or at least, fully opened a half open window) then please share, but now at this point I just don't really see any valid tactics that would make you choose the LA over anyone else.

Especially painful since 90% of my certs are in the LA :(
    • Up x 5
  2. Daibar

i agree on the windows, it's one of my favorite areas in this game, the solution, remove the shudders, i do not see a problem with there being open windows, if its a problem then make it a shield barrier that does not allow projectiles going above a certain level, so that we infantry can still throw grenades and c4 inside without it bouncing back or sticking to the shield.

i used to love the towers, now i only go there when my squad needs to take a tower and it only has 1 point.
    i dont mind the walls, makes it more interesting, but the window-block killed this game alot for me.

i still dont know who came up with that idea, but i hope they'll reconsider their solution.

The jetpack has been kind of a "meh" thing since the spawnroom got a clear view over many of the buildings in the camps without an option to sit on that rooftop.

again, i hope they come up with a solution, i for one would like 2-3 level structures with more areas to sit on.
    • Up x 3
  3. Village

Yeah the windows have annoyed me so much, nobody was asking for this change i don't see why it was added.
    • Up x 3
  4. Achmed20

but on the other side you have more stuff to sit on rigth now (towers f.e.)
  5. Daibar

just logged off for today.. got into nerdrage again about the windows....i'm gonna go sleep, it seems like a more fun way to spend my time as of this moment :)
    • Up x 2
  6. SixReasons

I agree with the windows, it was my opinion that LA not being able to fly through them was a secondary less though of side effect to what I believe the actual reason is....

Libs and ESF's can no longer shoot through the windows.

But yes it was a huge nerf to us LA. :(

To those who used to flank... WE SALUTE YOU!

EDIT:
    Also not being able to land on vehicles with out dying instantly... that hurts my game play to.
    • Up x 3
  7. MarlboroMan-E

I miss the windows, but I think for the game as a whole, limiting the ability to spam tank rounds into them is more important. Bummer for LA, good for game. We'll live.
  8. RebelYosarian

A seconds worth of thought and they could have put vehicle shields on towers at the vehicle bay and the cap point window. With gens outside in the surrounding buildings, and tunnels from the spawn to them to defend. Vehicles rolling over tower problem = solved.

edit: A nice big shielded window to the cap, LA can get in, infantry can get out, shoot out, and defend the base while holding the point instead of just sitting there. maybe even a ledge?
  9. Daibar

spam tank rounds into the cap point on towers???.. you mean that room where the cap point can be influenced from outside the room? that room where you can cap it by sitting by the stairs leading 1 level up? anyone who set foot in that room deserves a bullet to the face if they cannot duck. please go try what i just said and then return to this thread.

there are so many lines of fire in this game and if the gamers dont like it, work around by not sitting in the line of fire.
    i would like to say that i could work around the issue of flanking and lack of tower windows but if i were to get one of those godawful hacks to make my clipping go away so i could flank like the class, by design of the same people who put up these damn barriers, was meant to, i'd become a cheater and i'm not going to even consider that road.

i still say that they should reconsider that window blocking thing. i still don't get it, it cannot be because of vehicle kills, i think i saw higby or some other dev report that only 20% of deaths overall were caused be vehicles.....
  10. Ogedai

You also cant be anywhere above any kind of spawnroom/house without taking passive damage. They already fixed spawncamping with multiple exits, windows, roofopenings etc
  11. Ghoest

I agree that the window change is bad and not fun.
  12. Jadith

Yeah, Light assault got hit on some of the routes they can take or places they could go, but all these changes have made fights better, in general. Not every window has been blocked, jumpads are still available in most areas, and the GL trajectory will just take some getting used to it.
  13. VVarnis

I agree on the windows nerf being unneccesary, it hurts twice as bad when you play LA and INF.
  14. LibertyRevolution

They nurfed the "in" area around the point, you can no longer sit on the stairs and be in range, have you not played at a new tower?

Tank rounds still go right through the new window plugs.

If they really wanted to fix the tank spam..
    Make all walls 2' thick, so windows will be like tubes, then tank shells would hit the roof of the window tunnel, unless they were shooting directly in line with the window.

I walked into a point room yesterday, it had 1 door downstairs, 2 windows upstairs fully plugged, and a 2nd floor balcony with no stairs...
    So 1 way in, 1 way out. Well done. I got many bouncing betty kills on that door.
  15. Kildorragh96

I don't disagree with the fact that hindering tanks from shooting in through windows improves the game for everyone (even if I have never really experienced this problem personally as I don't see what's so hard about not standing directly in front of the window), I'm sure theres another way that it could be pulled off. Having some kind of forceshield like the spawn rooms that allows people in and out, bullets out but not in. Same colour as the yellow shields that only let you go through one way.
  16. Daibar

i have indeed played at a "new" tower, as you call them.

if we're facing the spawnroom, on the level with the cap point, go left, all the way out to the boxes. you can cap there.
    from the boxes, you go towards the stairs something like 10 meters. you can still cap from there.

same deal on the right side of the room. no boxes, but the stair block still allows you to cap it from there.
    i did it yesterday at crossroads and the tower at tawrich.
  17. Minsc

The loss of the multiple entrances and exits in buildings is a serious nerf on attack strategies for LA. But not having tanks shoot through windows is really really nice.

I agree with the idea forcefields for "glass" instead of the current shudders. However, I do not think it should be one way. The shutters reduce visibility for both sides, those on the point don't have an easy time shooting out. A colorless force field that allow only small arms fire through, and people of course, would be ideal.
  18. Compass

They just need to change the plugs to be shields and the issues will be fixed.

Somewhat relevant:

C4 is still fun.
  19. Village

This is the worst part about it, the windows at the A point in all towers. Completely impenetrable by light assaults now and we need to take the doors which are almost always covered, like any other class.

Such a disappointment especially since LA was by far my favourite class. Entering through windows was always unexpected and was a ton of fun.

[IMG]
  20. vaxx

I guess I am the minority, but I have had no issues with the changes at all. It has not changed my playstyle in the least.