Large Battle = Warping

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Greyfrog, May 28, 2013.

1. Greyfrog

Looking for some tips, tricks, troubleshooting to try for the following problem-

Problem: Generally cruising around, battles with less than a platoon PS2 is a dream and I generally have a lot of fun. As soon as there is a big battle (Platoon vs Platoon) all of the players start warping around and my lag gets quite bad (up to 4 seconds to turn infi cloak on & off). I can move away from the battle and my game goes back to normal, its very frustrating.

Troubleshooting: Tried it with Ultra Settings, Extra Low Settings, max render distance, min render distance. all other programs on my machine closed and no one else on my connection. Reset modem.

Specs -
    i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 660Ti
    Win 8 Pro

Its a relatively fresh OS (3 months old) and I've only really installed Steam and few other games on it.

Net -
    ADSL 2+ synced at 16MBit down 1Mbit up. Very Stable. I am wired to the router.

Ping to Briggs 38ms - 69.174.220.23
    • Up x 1
  2. kr0naa

wth..you should have no lag at all.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tamonize

I have the same system spec as yours except I have a HD7870

Ive been playing since Nov 2012. And it was so awesome! Best days were around December when the game was still hyped. Big battles everywhere and no lag at all!!

Since GU08 Ive been experiencing your problem even on more simpler battles. It became less on GU09 but it still happens. So frustrating.

Also on Briggs. But my ping is about 100 since Im from southeast asia.
  4. haldolium

This is not related to our machines.

The engine and servers cannot handle so many people. PS2 is essentially flawed in that case. Nothing we can do but hope...
  5. Tamonize

Just experienced it now so I stopped playing. What really bugs me is that it never happened before. =( And there are more people playing before than now.
  6. Greyfrog

I've started to narrow it down. Its to do with CPU stepping or the E1ST or whatever you call it.

With my OC, even with Power Setting in Windows set to use 100% min/max, my CPU still steps the clock speed up/down depending on load. I turned E1ST off in the BIOS and the problem got a little bit better but my clock speed still jumped around, so I turned C States to Fixed and the issue almost went away (its still bugs out intermittently in bigger battles). The only thing that makes my CPU clock move now is the VCore voltage and thats because I use an offset instead of fixed.

I have as AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo. This does not seem to be an issue with the same Machine Specs, but using an Asus mobo instead.

It is related to our machines, in the same battles my Outfit members are having no problems with warping. Or if not our machines the way PS2 uses the CPU couple with power saving features on Ivy Bridge.

My next test will be to set a fixed VCore and see if the problem goes away entirely. I will also test the game with default BIOS settings.

PLEASE let me know -
    What Motherboard you are using if you are getting the same issue( and have a 3570k).
    What Motherboard you are using if you are NOT getting the same issue( and have a 3570k).
    For the above, whether you are running an OC or not.

Lets narrow this mofo down and get a fix.
  7. haldolium

No. Everyone will encounter it eventually. Some more (that is maybe related to the local machine) some less. It's not an exclusive hardware vendor problem...

But go ahead, try stuff.
    • Up x 1
  8. Greyfrog

Well I play on Briggs, so really big battles where everyone warps isn't so much of a problem.

This happens to me without fail, not occasionally. Every time warping happens I ask around to see if anyone else is experiencing it, I'm pretty much the only one. I'm not talking one or two players skipping around, everthing warps, tanks do barrel rolls in the sky etc.
    • Up x 1
  9. P3YCH

I have been having the exact same problem Greyfrog. I enjoy the game at the highest settings without any problems but whenever I join a large battle, soldiers and vehicles start warping around the place (the tanks doing barrel rolls in the sky can be quite hilarious). I posted a thread about it yesterday but got only one reply from someone who suggested it could be packet loss, de-syncing or high system settings. I'm not very tech savvy and don't quite understand what you did in the BIOS, but I'm glad to see you might be on to a solution for this problem.
    My motherboard is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.
  10. Greyfrog

Is your machine Overclocked?

Try going into your Windows Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Advanced Plan Settings > Processor Power Management > Minimum Processor Power > 100%
    And Max 100%. See if it makes a difference.

What are you system specs?
  11. Gavor

I had to chime in here. I've just come back to PS2 after about 3 months off and I've started experiencing this issue as well. I've tried a whole lot of things without success, including everything mentioned in this post.

The reason I replied to this post are twofold;

1. I play on Briggs.
    2. Like P3ych, I also have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Any suggestions are most welcome, I'm so close to quitting PS2 again.

(I've fiddled with a lot of CPU settings and power management options. I also enabled AHCI just around the time it first started happening. I presume this is a coincidence, though I still disabled it again just in case. No change)
  12. haldolium

Oh, okay! I misunderstood that then, thought you were referring to the overall issue with that.
  13. TermiGR

I do have exactly the same issue!
    I stopped playing for 2-3 Months, before that all was just fine!
    I didnt change anything.
  14. FiendX

Hey Grey, we meet again...
    I'm suffering from a similar issue, and my rig is pretty similar to yours.
    i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
    Asrock extreme 6
    gtx670
    16gb ram

My issue is slightly different, but warping none the less. It generally happens to me after 15minutes of game time.
    Ive tried all the fixes in the main desync thread .
    Tried:
    Stock Cpu settings
    4.0ghz through to 4.6ghz, going up 100mhz at a time, with 20 minutes of Prime 95 testing for stability prior to each run
    Fixed Vcore
    Offset Vcore /Turbo
    Turbo On/Off
    Speedstep On/Off
    C states On/Off
    Hpet On/Off
    /set useplatformclock true/false - with Hpet On/Off for both
    Asrock Extreme tuning utility Installed/Not
    Windows Power profile is on High performance
    Run a couple different Exe's to make sure my system timers aren't messing up, and keep an eye on Dpc latency. WinTimerTester, TimerResolution, DpcLat.

Ive read some posts from people with Asus boards saying that turning thier Cpu fan Sensor off in their Tuining Software (AI suite??or something like that) or just uninstalling the Tuning software all together fixed the problem. Gigabyte users too, uninstall Easy Tune and the problem goes away for many.

I turned off the Cpu monitoring software for my corsair H100i AiO liquid cooler, apart from fixing a bit of Dpc lag, it did nothing for my desyncing in game.

Im so sick of relogging Every 15- 20 minutes. Make participating in Outfit OP's nearly impossible.
    Please do let us know if you fix your problem. And ill post back if i sort it out
    [IIW] FiendX
  15. TermiGR

I just fixed it for me! -> I updated my Kaspersky Internet Security from the 2012 Version to the 2013 one. Somehow it did reset my Firewall-Filters.
    The planetside2.exe was under light restrictions.
    • Up x 1
  16. P3YCH

I have never tried to overclock my machine.

I tried your solution by going through the power options. I found my Minimum Processor Power was already running at 100%

My basic specs are (not including my already mentioned motherboard):
    Windows 7 (x64)
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Graphics Card
    Intel Core i7 930 Processor
    6gb RAM

Do you know which firewall filters they were?

17. TermiGR

I have to go a step back! It did NOT fix it -> going to reinstall my pc! Ill report back in a few hours!
  18. Greyfrog

Hmm lots of people with the same problem..... Hi FiendX :D

Played around with the same OC settings FiendX mentioned and like him, it made almost no difference.

Turned my OC off last night and the issue was much better, but not fixed, I also lost 15-25 FPS. Also found out another member of my outfit had similar issues and fixed it with a program that turns CPU parking off so thats the next step.

This is the software I was recommended to try - http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Guys with i7's have you made sure Hyper Threading is turned off?

Edit: FiendX have you tried this - https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...-some-intel-nvidia-users.111018/#post-1544309 ?
  19. P3YCH

A guy on another thread was having a similar issue and had this fix for it by adjusting his i5 processor. I thought it might be useful to post it here:

Greyfrog, I'm not sure how to turn off Hyper Threading but why would I want to? Doesn't that make for better processing overall?
  20. Greyfrog

P3YCH - With out going into too much detail HT is generally detrimental for gaming. It really shines during rendering for applications such as Maya. You turn it off in your BIOS. Its easily turned on/off with a restart and worth a try.