Lancer! Striker! Phoenix!

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Transvestosaurus, Mar 1, 2013.

1. RorianDeevergh

Agreed, however there are some key differences that will make balancing them in PS2 harder.

1) In PS1 you could loot from fallen enemies fill your locker with another empires AV weapons.
    2) In PS1 only TR had lockon infantry AV (and only NC/VS had lockon AA Max weapons).

The Lancer and Phoenix are both great because they bring something very unique to each empires infantry AV.
    Unfortunately since there are already common-pool lockon launchers in PS2, it will be harder to make the TR AV unique (and still balanced). Ultimately we can't say for sure until they are in game and we get to try them, but there is room for concern.

I guess they could add a non charging version of the lancer and a lower damage common pool phoenix, but that would just further homogenize things.
  2. Crewell

I'm not one to usually complain when TR get the shaft, but unless the rocket does a bit more than the Annihilator, people won't use it.

For NC, it looks like they get a rocket version of the new engineer turret. Once people get used to it, it might be great. It all depends on the damage compared to the other available weapons.

Not sure how the VS one will be. Without knowing the rocket speed or base damage it is hard to say.
  3. kukuman

i had lot of fun killing phoenixes users with my lancer .
  4. Splort

Pretty much this.. I hate Saron's already, now everyone is going to have one. Camera guided I don't know, depends on how all the details hash out. You're right, they just gave us a new lock on launcher with pretty effects, unless they've said something different.
  5. Anvildude

If it works the way I think it works, then it means that a skilled TR player will be able to hit multiple targets with a single volley by dragging their aim across what they want to hit as the rockets approach at slightly different times. It also means that it'll be rather a useful anti-infantry tool as well, as it can effectively 'carpet bomb' an area.
  6. Ghodere

The Phoenix is dangerous balance-wise, not because of individual users being able to attack without risk, but because of organized squad+ level play making vehicles obsolete. Annihilator squads, which killed tanks in one volley but provided a handy warning tone and the ability to react via countermeasures and cover, are going to seem positively tame in comparison to Phoenix squads that kill a tank in one volley without warning or reaction. To a lesser extent, the Lancer, but that will require the heavies to be within LOS of the tank, providing at least some indication of the coming doom.
    • Up x 2
  7. DirArtillerySupport

If we went over in detail all the perfectly balanced variables with those three PS1 weapons alone there would be a wall of text 3 pages long. Now all that's left is the Lancer and Phoenix and with 3 empires that's more messed up than anything. It got totally messed up when they made available lock on shoulder launched weapons...to everyone!? ...that was pure TR and they give it to everyone?

I miss my locker soooo much...full of enemy ammo and gear.
  8. Eclipson

Why do the TR always get the boring stuff? A lock down tank, another stupid annihilator, and eventually a lock down max, boring.
    • Up x 2
  9. SirCrazed12

My biggest worry regarding the Phoenix is the possibility of getting rear armour hits despite firing from in front of the tank. Rear armour hits are by far the best way to bring down a tank but in order to get them you have to flank the vehicle which adds some risk and skill. If you will be able to just sit behind a rock fire your rocket into the air and curve it into the rear of your target for massive damage then it will be immensely strong, especially since there is absoloutley nothing the driver can do to counter it.
  10. santuckcasper

i dont think the NC one will be as OP as people are saying, it will probably only be able to fly for a few sec.s, people are making it sound like you can fly it all over the map, but it probably only be able to fly for a few seconds, and i believe that these posts i have quoted also state that it wont be OP
  11. Stormlight666

Oh it'll have its x range firing time (400m perhaps). But the whiners will come when we start firing over walls or around corners into the face of a MAX or a far away sniper. Especially if it has the ability still to detonate early.
  12. Stormlight666

Back up?!? We still have to fire high to arc down to get it, so reversing would mean a top hit.
  13. Kroova

NC and VS launchers sounds sweet...TR launcher seems kinda boring.

If the TR launcher supports dumbfire as well, it might be interesting (e.g. adjusting aim to lay down rocket fire on moving targets or suppressive fire on groups of infantry).

Guess we will just have to wait and see.

I read somewhere in the forums that directional damage was based on the target orientation to the damage source (i.e. the heavy, not the missile), so the side of the tank facing the heavy launching the rocket would be used to calculate armor. Someone correct me if this is wrong...
    • Up x 1
  14. Stormlight666

Imagine you firing the Phoenix over a wall you're hiding behind. You get xxx meters of fuel before it explodes. You can direct it to your target and when it hits BOOM! OR you can detonate it early if you're firing toward a sniper and he hides behind a rock. You might get some minor Blast damage that way. However it does have a distinctive sound, so hopefully they'll keep the missile shriek as it goes towards its target so everyone nearby knows a guy with a PHOENIX is out there..... SOMEWHERE.

Then BOOM, sniper gets a rocket to the face!
  15. Stormlight666

Especially Snipers.
  16. santuckcasper

but that is the idea of it, just give it a shorter range than the other launchers and it will be alright, even if they give it equal range it wont be as OP as they are making it sound.... dang..... we have whinners before it is even out (not you stormlight)
  17. Ganelon

Great, we get another version of the Annihilator.
  18. Stormlight666

Well the Lancer will also bring about a lot of whining as it's an HA-sniper rifle. But what makes the Phoenix a great launcher (and one of my favorites) is the fact that you can arc it over to hit those Sunderers parking behind rocks, up a mountain into the face of that AA Max, hit the Vehicle terminal on a base you're assaulting. It's a precision weapon.
  19. santuckcasper

yes it is, but it is not as OP as people are saying, i think it is a great weapon and it is not as OP as most of the people on this thread are saying
  20. Maxor

@LiamPam The HA Heavy Weapons all sorta suck they are very situational, get over it. Plus Jackhammer got buffed and I see plenty using it indoors now.