It's been a while since a played and I need a refresher on how to use mil-dots

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by doomedking517, Sep 11, 2015.

1. doomedking517

Basically my understanding of mil-dots is that they allow you to determine distance etc. over a large gap, as well as being able to determine where you need to aim based of the mils. I always assumed (or believed) that 1 mill was needed to be added for every hundred meters, but in a recent game (first one in about 2 months or so) resulted in me shooting far too high. Does the game use a different system from real life, or am i just messing up big time (or am i using the wrong numbers... i.e i need to use yards or something? if so can i change a setting to do this by default for objective distances etc.?)
  2. Nagant

Depends on the lot of factors like weapon, projectile speed, drop, the magnification of the scope etc.

I'd just go to the VR get rangefinder (or place a waypoint for reference - you know you will see the distance of your waypoint in meters, don't you.) and start shooting and find the sweetspots.

With my setup it's like spot on till 100, top of head at 150, half dot at 200, more than at larger ranges. I use a TR M77B with a 12x scope without silencer. But I miss way too often, maybe I should go to the VR to practice too! :)
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

Adding to what's already been said, don't forget that your screen resolution can also determine what mildot will make your shot hit where.
    • Up x 1
  4. doomedking517

The error here is on my part, i forgot how to use mil-dots, its not the matter of how far i need to lead that you determine, but how far the target is (thus removing the need for placing way points etc. or the range finder), the formular is relatively simple, but is used to determine range and not lead, its as far as i can remember (and a quick few searches show), it is (if we allow the assumption all males in the game are 6' - im not sure on their actual hieght) 6' is 2yards, if you were scoped and they were 4 mils in hieght, it would be 2 * 1000 / 4 i think or roughly 500 yards away... (or 457 meters), however that being said, im still not sure if it applies to planetside (though it would be rather useful if it does)
    • Up x 1
  5. Nagant

Player models are 1.80 high for sure if that helps in your calculations. A quick check in VR will prove but screen resolution will be a great factor to get the correct measure. Also LOD can mess it up too.
  6. breeje

3.4 mill-dot scope is 75 meters no compensation for the BASR
    and ad half a mill for every 75 to 125 meters
    if you aim on top of there head with the BASR you will not need any real compensation up to 200 meters
    the bullet will land in the middle or lower part of the face (still a headshot)
    it's the only scope and rifle i can help you with, i play most of the time with smg
  7. doomedking517

I get unlucky at times, and end up having to take shots 350+ meters away to avoid being counter sniped or attacked by light assualts (oh how they are the bane of my ig life) while taking out support roles (safe to say i become highly inaccurate but y'know), its rather difficult to determin distance at such a range (accurately) as a result I normally aim for the body, but due to damage drop occuring there I almost never get kills unless im lucky and hit the head of someone damaged, with the mill dots itll be easier to get the face at such distances. (personally I think bolt actions should always be 1hks to the face regardless of distance, unless its a HA + overshield or a max but thats just me XD)
  8. breeje

this game is not meant to play at 350+ meters there would be no counter to long range snipers
    350+ meters kills are lucky shots or finish kills
    nobody wants to be killed by that guy they can't kill back
    even the 150+ snipers are hated in this game

i recommend you to find a new weapon that you like for closer ranges and practice with them
    it will get you killed a lot more in the beginning but in time you will adapt and get those kills you want
    it's all in the way you play don't sit in one spot

if LA keep killing you you are playing the infil the wrong way

9. Jubikus

I honestly dont know if the mildots mean anything in this game other than some sort of reference as the scope seems the same for every sniper even tho the bullet drop for each one is different. This causes you to need to use different dots for different ranges for different rifles but they are nice once youve fired that first couple shots from your current distance and can base it off that.
  10. doomedking517

I feel that when you've played at them sorts of ranges playing closer becomes far easier (so form a training perspective its great) secondly, its not easy, in fact its insanely hard (sniping at its best is difficult), but that's the fun in it, and the benefits of being able to hunt their MVPs without being seen is a huge benefit (tracers are hard to follow for 300+ meters XD), taking their turrets, snipers and medics (albeit medics far less often) is a huge bonus to my team and staying alive imo is hugely important, i suck at close range combat (tried it... i honestly die more as a HA than i do as a infil xD). I don't play to rack up certs i play to destroy all non vanu... i mean we are clearly superior to all other factions so we should put them out of their misery... that being said, much of the time i play at shorter ranges, too many things get in the way, i mean when playing on the desert map (im not good with names in general) i can get away with longer distance combat on small outposts, theres little in the way, and its clearer but on the jungle map i play closer because distance would be against me due to the amount of trees and foliage

I think they arent useful for measuring hieght and lead, but for measuring distance i think they still work (if you know all the factors).
  11. ProfNoodles

You would hate me then. I normally snipe at 200m. Been trying to work on my 300 an 400 with my railjack.
  12. doomedking517

Its funny my optimum distance for sniping is like clsoer to 300 than 150, I actually hit more often and am harder to hit and find... my life becomes so much easier...

No, this game is not convetionally played at 350+ meters (that being said 350 meters is rather large, but i frequently hit and often times kill unsuspecting enermy infantry at these ranges - i usually operate in the 225 - 325 ranges, 350 is my extreme distance to counter other snipers), but it is meant to be played at these ranges by one particular role... snipers, why because we made a pretty damning trade off for these kinds of abilities (to cloak and use insanely long range abilities)... y'know the loss of 100 health and any form of effective automatic weapon for straight up battles... (sub machines are great just not meant for head to head battles from what ive seen - then again im not good at cqc anyway so maybe thats the issue there - it just seems they are more meant for ambushing than anything else...)
  13. MisterSlim

It looks like the other cloakers here pretty much said it all about how to use in-game mil-dots.

But, to answer the question of "Does the game use a different system from real life?", the answer is yes. Very. In real-life, 'mil' is short for MRAD, which is short for milliradian. There are roughly 6300ish mils in a circle. IRL, the zoom level of your optic, the angle above or below your target, the focal plane of your reticle, and the height of your target all alter your firing solution (where ya need to aim to hit your target. Lots of other things go into it too, but I won't bore you xD) by a lot.

In-game, you basically say "My bullet seems to drop about 1 mil at 200m.", and as long as your target is at 200m, and you aim somewhat close to 1 mil high, you have a hit. In the real world, it's usually a two man job, and there's tons of math with tons of variables involved. My personal ballistic tables took me like 5 hours to chart out, and that's only for the one particular projectile type I fire out of my specific rifle xD.

Sources:
    -Competitive long range marksman for 3 years.
    -Long range combat and support mechanics Instructor's Assistant for 5 months

-Stay Frosty
  14. breeje

15. ProfNoodles

• Up x 1
  16. doomedking517

Taht thread gives meaning to my planetside lives... like the fear we force on other soldiers that they want another server solely for us... i feel happy
  17. jmdafk

The game needs to be a bit closer to this imo.
    Im probably the worst shot on the server and even i find it pretty easy to rack up some kills. Make it a challange and I for one would be stopped getting cheap kills with a m77 and it would make those on the receiving end more appreciative of the skill of the killer.