Is the Heavy Assault standard overshield OP?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Netsurfer733, May 2, 2013.

1. Jalek

Next do MAX suits, they come with armor too. Never enough threads calling for nerfs.
  2. Grotpar

The overshield isn't necessarily OP.

It's the HA as a whole that is too good.
  3. Lexicon

Let's nerf the medic whilst we're at it; they can heal themselves and get access to some incredible ARs. Nerf!!!
  4. 13lackCats

HA shield is good for retreating, or desperate situations.

If one is counting on it for domination, they'll die.
    • Up x 1
  5. Goden

If you want to run into battle with your healing ability turned on then by my guest. It won't do much for you I'm afraid.
  6. vilehydra

That would be so sick. Currently working on getting the underboss for my battle rifle set up to.
  7. TRman

nope i die fast
  8. rickampf

Nope, i die fast too... with my overpower shield maxed out, specialy if i get hit by shotguns or surprised by infiltrators with smgs.
  9. ThePackage

Too many players use HA for there to be an intelligent conversation about why it's too good currently. Too many people think that ammo packs, repairing, and healing is some sort of gift from God. Without understanding that those are necessary skills in a game like this. Then fail to understand that giving a character 600 more hitpoints at a press of a button isn't, and never will be, needed. A skill that slowly boosts your shield over time, much akin to the medics AoE heal ability would be fine. Instantly increasing your effective health is not.

HA's are already a unique class without the need for a absolutely massive effective health increase.
    • Up x 2
  10. Xonal

It's part of what makes it OP. HAs have that trifecta going for them of:
    (1) High capacity weapons that are extremely good all round.
    (2) Powerful Anti-vehicle weapons
    (3) High survivability through their special

IMO these three together is what makes the HA too much. Pick any two of those and ditch the other and I'd say the class would be fine. Giving the engineers the launchers would be nice... although with that I'd definitely stop ammo boxes replenishing rockets or have rockets cost infantry resource (which should happen anyway imo)

You don't even necessarily have to remove one from the class entirely you could even have it so all three aren't available to the class but not at the same time. IE make primary weapon / launcher take up the same slot so you can only have a launcher + pistol combo. Or have the launcher and shield take up the same slot etc.
    • Up x 2
  11. Pikachu

It's fine. I just forget to use it. :confused:
    • Up x 1
  12. Muerte_LOL

I mostly play HA and rarely use it, it makes you stand out for all to see and IDs your faction at a distance. Want to beat it, dance around until it runs down then blastem'.
  13. Netsurfer733

Since so many of you seem to not want to stop bringing this up, I'm going to have to go ahead and finally respond to it.

To all of you that have called me an idiot/etc. for not knowing the Heavy Assault shield slowed you down (despite how some here have said it IS barely noticible):

Re-read the title of my post, and realize this thread was a question and NOT a call for a nerf, nor a call for anything else. Not one thing.

The purpose of this thread was for information gathering only. I was hoping to be reassured that, somehow, the heavy assault situation was NOT as bad as my friend had made it out to be.

Now those of you who have not read this post I've just written can go ahead and resume assuming that the opposite is true.

Thank you.
  14. AwakenRiceball

Shields are fine, but melee attacks damage reduction should not be affected by the shield. That is what makes it op'ed, I think.
  15. TheBloodEagle

^ This is so much win.

^ More win.
  16. TheBloodEagle

Oh please. You should've just had the balls to put your true agenda out there instead of insinuating it. Not to mention there are enough threads on this.
  17. vilehydra

(1) LMGs are substandard weapons in most situations, I'd rather have an AR for longer ranges and a CQC carbine (both of these would beat me in their environments). There only benefit is an increased ammo cap allowing them to outlast opponents, this is also mitigated by the much longer reload time. My carv-9 takes an ungodly amount of time to reload compared to the trac5 and it's only a medium reload speed

(2) with the buff of vehicles rear armor, our AV is really worthless in small groups. Decent in a swarm still. Engineers with AV turrets and mines can do that job much more effectively and safely then we can.

(3) This special will absorb maybe 2-3 (NC) hits, which can safe my *** sometimes. But to use this I first have to give up the ability to heal/repair/fly/cloak and then I have to ACTIVELY deal with the incredibly bad side effects of activating that special. AKA lighting up like a Christmas tree for everyone to see and moving incredibly slowly.

Also the reason against having rockets cost resources without literally everything in the game costing resources (from tanks to the Shells they resupply with to the bullets in my LMG, which would actually be pretty neat IMO) is that it allows for a force to always fight back against an armor zerg when they're held against a wall.

People over exaggerate the effectiveness of all of our specials.
    Our LMG's are medium type weapons, not bad in close, not utter **** at range
    Our rocket allows us to damage and scare tanks off when alone, destroy them in groups (which is why you see so many of them, because not everyone has an AV turret and mobility has slight benefits)
    Our special gives us a slight advantage in a straight up fight. But 9/10 times it will not save us when you get the drop on us or you land all your shots and I only land half of mine.

IIRC it isn't affected by the shield
  18. Netsurfer733

Mmk. I'm going to go ahead and request a GM close this thread because I'm not about to continue debating this.

Please all - no more posting in this thread. It's done, as people just cannot believe what the actual point of it was and have decided to fill up half of it with off topic discussion.
  19. Olden

Why would anyone in their right mind play a HA if you destroy their shield? The launchers? Screw that, after GU8 engineers are the way to go.

If you take away Heavy Assaults (name kinda suggests what this class should be doing) shield capabilities you might as well remove the class and refund people who have certed / spent SC on it.

If you play an engineer or a medic do you really see yourself as the spearhead of an attack? They are supporting classes with their own incentives for earning experience. A medic is vital, anyone who has tried being in an attack with one and without one can attest to that. Without healing and revives gaining ground get's considerably harder. An engineer provides superior anti vehicle capabilities, while being able to keep friendly vehicles in working condition. Ammo packs are important to, but I might argue that heavy assaults should carry less ammunition to increase the importance of engineers even further.

Same goes for infiltrators and light assaults. Classes built to flank, not charge head on.. Sure you can hear the light assault jet-pack, but on a already chaotic battlefield it kinda just blends in with the rest of the noise.. Leave the infiltrating to the infiltrator class. Unfortunately the infiltrator class is semi-broken, which is why it is due for an overhaul on the road map.

Don't try to treat the symptom's, look for the actual problem. Fix/adjust the other classes, don't break the ones which are already fun and working imo.
  20. DoubleTake

Nope. HAs are shock troopers. If you want to attack something head-on, HAs are the intended way to go, their intended role. Of course it's should beat classes that have other functions. That's the whole point of a class-based game. HAs are basically the Heavies and the Soldiers found in Team Fortress 2; you would be stupid to go head-on against them as a spy, engineer, medic or sniper.