Is the Heavy Assault standard overshield OP?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Netsurfer733, May 2, 2013.

1. Jalek

I have a medpack to give me more health too. Of course I die quick enough with or without the shield, most fights are more like 2v1 or 6v2 because this isn't some arena game.
  2. Bill Hicks

magically? the light assault "magically" flew to a spot where I didn't think an enemy can shoot me. Light assaults job is to ambush, sounds like a light assault failed at his job. i easily kill heavies I ambush on my engie
  3. FnkyTwn

I for one appreciate people who want to make changes to a
    class, and yet have no idea how that class actually works.

I bet you can't wait till I start farting out my ideas for how i'd
    ham-handedly make just a few tweaks to your favorite class.
    • Up x 3
  4. Nenarch

The idea is that the game has ROLE's, HA is good.. but he can't fly or snipe. Just don't run into him.

If HA would be any worse in gun play than it is now, we all would be playing medics and light assaults because they'r as good as HA.

You see the point, stupid question to ask. If HA would be equal at close combat corner fight, I'd never play it as a forward class.

Not to mention the great equalizer is in the game, it's called shotgun. Kills everything.. Broken weapon.
  5. Paperlamp

Only if the HA has the shield on, not always possible to predict a bolt action headshot incoming. It does let them take precaution vs. snipers when aiming/firing launchers though.
  6. Syphers

Light or not it doesnt matter anyway the second that you shoot, and you either run or your shoot so being slowed down usually also doesnt matter, the shield can still save your *** on a run if you have very few HP left.

But as the infiltrator is getting a cloak revamp I'm fine with the shield my only concern is that NC and VS need a good silenceable pistol to fight HAs on a fair ground, the TR got the Repeater.

And LAs really need a better and smoother jetpack sound the class is built around the element of surprise as carbines are medium range weapons. Not silent but not this annoying pitched sound either.
  7. Netsurfer733

Like another guy said - the speed change is barely noticeable in the slightest. Also I'm Vanu now, so I'm all into getting enlightened 'n stuff. Cool your jets.

And Goden - I totally hear you :)
  8. vilehydra

About the pistols, I only use the repeater with my battle rifle, everything else I use a silenced Emperor, AKA watered down Mag-shot.

I mean can you get a silenced rebel? Dear god I would love that.
  9. Syphers

The rebel is really meh the TTK is slightly longer than the Magshot, the tradeoff is +50 damage for half the magazine size and -100 less RoF and the sight and hit registry is slightly misaligned too so big downgrade.
  10. vilehydra

I really have to know how much you've played HA. That speed loss is pretty bad, especially when your trying to hop around a corner to save your life. Or from that tank that's about to fire an HE right down your protective rock.

As per Godens comment, it really kind of ticks me off a little, maybe because Im tired.

All other classes get utility (barring MAX)
    Infils-invisibility
    Medics-heals/revive
    Engineer-repair and kill tanks (better then we can)
    Light assault- Incredible mobility

HA's trade that utility for endurance. In a pitched close fight, we have the natural advantage, we're shock troopers.

Your asking to take away that so we have nothing.

LMGs are mediocre weapons
    With the GU08 tank buff we're only good at anti-tank en masse. Engineers do it better then we do.
    And now you want to take away the only thing that gives a slight edge over other infantry?

Cool, just save the trouble and remove the class.
  11. vilehydra

If it works better then the Magshot as a finisher then I'd take it. But for now Im stuck with mag-lite.
  12. phreec

I'd say no, it isn't OP. It lights you up, slows you down and it's still depleted pretty fast with headshots.

It being available from the very beginning is also great. Makes the game more about skill rather than who's spent the most money or time on the game. I mean, why shouldn't newcomers get the same powerful shield to play with? This isn't supposed to be some MMORPG where a high level basically means lowbies can't do sh** against you while you effortlessly gank dozens of them.
  13. Syphers

Bah the mag is still better at that due to the RoF. The Repeater is the best IMO but you slightly sacrifice effective range for stopping power, the TX2 is not bad either 1 more bullet over the Magshot to kill +50 RoF and a larger magazine. Ideally the underboss could get a silencer ;D
  14. Ghosy01

all heavy shields are op perios , maybe not adrenaline but thats because its not properly designed , right now heavy class not only have the best guns but the best tools in dealing with infantry and vehicles i hope soe addresses this in future GU
  15. Bill Hicks

Versatile? every class but the infiltrator can do what you just said. Only a medic can rez, a engineer repair. There seems to be a pattern.....
  16. Ravenorth

I think that nerfing their standard shield would be a overdoing it, the class might need a little balancing, but it can be also balanced with other ways. The one thing that gives heavy assaults the upper hand is their moving speed, since they can run the exact same speed as every other classes, which shouldn´t be possible for them. They they are carrying the most heavy and powerful weaponry in the terms of firepower and a shield, which further increases their powerfulness, so its the most reasonable change to make them a bit slower than every other class.

Its just a bad game design that someone with powerful ability like that + LMG and RL can keep up with the movement speed of every other class. The more powerful you are, the more slower you become, its a very basic system used in majority of online shooters and even in single player games. Everyone can agree that HA is without a doubt most powerful all around infantry unit in the game, so change like this is good way to start without a need to touch their special ability.

I can only wonder why they didn't introduce this on the PS2 in the first place, since its used in so many games.
  17. Jalek

Sure, as soon as they set up the 1v1 arenas...
  18. vastaitku

Why are you getting into debates about classes you've never even tried?
  19. Purg

I certainly notice it. When I'm taking damage and rushing to cover, you often have to consider whether it's better to move faster with less health or move slower with more health. The shield protects you less than you realise.
    • Up x 1
  20. Lexicon

lol @ barely noticeable. These kids who stick their nose in to discussions when they have absolutely NO knowledge of what they speak of...

Let's rephrase the sentiments here: "I haven't tried the class much but I do die to it a lot, therefore I'm an expert on it (oh and nerf too)"
    • Up x 2