Is the delay on the Railjack hard to get used to?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TCryan44, Dec 15, 2014.

1. TCryan44

I am thinking about buying the Railjack, but I want to make sure that it will end up being worth it. I have tried it out once, but only for the trial. It is just the delay in the shot that I am worried I will not be able to get used to.
  2. Bindlestiff

Go to VR and try it for yourself. You are the best person to make that judgement call.
    • Up x 1
  3. FieldMarshall

I can only speak for myself. I didnt even know there was a delay until someone pointed it out after switching from the Longshot.
    After that, i started performing worse with it because i subconsciously kept thinking i had to compensate for the delay.

The trick is to dont stop leading moving targets after pressing fire. That way you cancel out the delay completely.
    For stationary targets you dont have to worry about the delay at all. Maybe if the twitch move just as you fire, but that can happen with other BASRs aswell.

All in all, i dont regret getting the Railjack. Perfect for long range anti-sniper/turret work.
    Its a really fun weapon. Looks cool sounds cool feels awesome (subjective)

You probably wont have problems with the delay once you get a feel for the weapon.
    • Up x 2
  4. TCryan44

I will, but there is not moving targets.
  5. TCryan44

Thank you for the reply!
    • Up x 1
  6. Metalsheep

Not really, but if you already have the Longshot, its basically the same weapon.

The railjack has higher velocity, but a shot delay. The longshot shoots instantly and also has high velocity.

IIRC, both the longshot and railjack rounds will strike the target at the same time out to most ranges from the moment of trigger pull. The Railjacks round will overtake the Longshots eventually, but at most ranges they hit at mostly the same time thanks to the Longshot firing instanly.

i could be wrong though.
    • Up x 2
  7. _itg

This doesn't really give a sense of it, though, since the delay is irrelevant with permanently stationary targets. A 30 minute trial would be more useful.
    • Up x 2
  8. Bindlestiff

Sorry I didn't realise snipers aimed for anything other than stationary targets due to all the weird jerkiness at range.
  9. TCryan44

The weird jerkiness is not always there, and that usually seems to happen at an actual distant range. I shoot moving targets all the time.
    • Up x 3
  10. JudgeNu

Stationary targets are easier to hit for sure.
    When targets are jerky as you say I just move closer, that's just too far.
    Moving targets are "easier" to hit at certain ranges and angles.
    Emerald VS move around like crazy, very hard to hit, no rhyme or reason, idk how they get anything done.

They added the delay because Railjack was too OP in Test.

It takes a bit to get use to.
    I have Auraxium'd it before any other sniper rifles.
  11. Goretzu

It's about 400m before the Railjack becomes better than the Longshot.
    • Up x 2
  12. FieldMarshall

This (old) video has some nice info about the railjack you may find interesting.
    At 3:31 he even talks about making the delay work to your advantage.

Made by Wrel.
    • Up x 1
  13. McToast

Moin

When you first use the Railjack it's like you have a 200ms additional lag. The biggest problem I have with this weapon is that you have to stay in scope longer and can't move as deft as with other BASRs. In my opinion it's only a real upgrade over the Longshot or LA80 if you're one of those 250m-away-hill-campers.
    • Up x 2
  14. andy_m

I managed to adapt to the Railjack okay, but once I got the Auraxium medal for it I reverted back to the Longshot. I dunno... I just prefer the Longshot. And I purchased the Railjack with SC.
    • Up x 1
  15. Titan6

I didn't even realize it was there until the forums told me about it. If you're trying to quick shot and whatnot it's probably more noticeable. If you're sitting back and trying to snipe, I doubt you'll even realize it's there.
    • Up x 1
  16. HadesR

^ This pretty much but In my case it's using the Moonshot ... Might use the Railjack now and again on those rare occasions when need a 200m+ shot , but for every day combat the Long / Moon shot are better ..
    • Up x 3
  17. TCryan44

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!
  18. pnkdth

If you can get the hang of pulling the trigger and maintaining your target, hitting targets at range is almost effortless. When you get used to pulling the trigger before you are on target, it is pretty much a hitscan sniper rifle.

Hold breath implants also scale really well with the Railjack.

I used to refer to it as "just another BASR" but it really isn't. I realise now what I was really saying is "I am using it like BASR, expecting better results."
    • Up x 1
  19. TheShrapnelKing

Only if you go by when you click your mouse instead of when the gun actually fires. But that's like measuring the velocity of the Phaseshift with the time needed to chargeup counting into the travel time.
    • Up x 1
  20. FieldMarshall

Or Lancer charge. Would hate to see how "slow" it would be if it was measured like that