Is reduced "spawn kill" xp relevant (anymore)?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DJPenguin, Apr 22, 2014.

1. DJPenguin

Has anyone ever said to themselves "I'm not gonna camp the spawn cause it gives me reduced xp" ? With Auraxium medals and now ribbons gained every 10 kills it's more encouraged than ever. Even if the kills gave 0 xp I'm still hovering above the last poor sap i took down who is in the process of getting chain revived 10+ times because it's quick & rewarding (for the enemy medic too). It feels arbitrary.
    • Up x 3
  2. Latrodectus

Spawn kill still boosts your KD/R. What is this "xp" you speak of?
    • Up x 12
  3. SinerAthin

Indeed.

I believe that is the main factor people camp.
    They don't want to die.

If they had cared about getting maximum amount of kills and EXP, they'd have gone rambo and almost never camped the spawnroom.
    • Up x 1
  4. GeneralPeragorn

It's not so much for spawn camping I think, more than killing revivies. With the tiny amount of XP got from spawn killing, your far more likely to kill the medic before the revive is made. Even if it is a small incentive, it is a good thing.
  5. HadesR

Kills made on fresh spawns should not

A) Grant XP
    B) Count towards number of kills
    C) Count towards medals
    D) Count towards any KDR metric

I would also reverse that so it includes kills made from within spawns ..
  6. z1967

Honestly, I have never decided to not kill someone because they were just revived and would give me low xp. I am not going to let someone who has a good chance at killing me run free just because I get 75% less xp. Only thing that would make me not want to kill them would be getting negative xp for a spawn kill, which would be pointless and degrading to the overall experience of the game.
    • Up x 4
  7. iller

2 Simple fixes for ALL of this kill-farming that will greatly improve stat tracking overall (and stop padding exploits)
    Start tracking 2 different categories for Weapons kills and thus Accuracy:
    • Body shots VS. Head Shot against Stationary/ADS'd targets.
    • Body shots VS. Head Shot against Sprinting/Strafing targets.
    Moderately adjust the numbers of kills needed for Auraxium based on this new Metric:
    • Every kill against the Moving targets awards 2 points.
    • Every headshot against Moving targets awards 5 points.
    • All kills versus Stationary targets only award 1/2 of a point.
    • Fresh respawns/revives awards no progress towards medals
  8. Iridar51

The only problem with that is there's not always a way of telling who is a fresh spawn, and who isn't. Will you be a gentleman and let the enemy take a first shot at you before you attempt to kill him just to make sure he doesn't count as fresh spawn?
    Somehow I doubt that. Enemy is the enemy, XP is secondary.
    • Up x 3
  9. HadesR

Very true .. And people will still spawn camp regardless .. But it should be a non profit / stat action from either direction
  10. IamDH

It should be this way. You shouldnt get rewarded a full 100XP for killing someone that just revived. I do not think this change was meant to reduce spawn camping
  11. Rift23

The certs must flow.
  12. Phyr

Spawn camping isn't about xp, it's about keeping them contained. They could completely remove xp for the first 5 minutes and it wouldn't change anything.
  13. Iridar51

Don't really see why. One of the two most reliable ways to capture a base is to contain the defenders within the spawn room.
    Second way is to defend the cap point with team of MAXes and engineers and medics, and requires a lot of coordination. So if that kinda leaves the capturers out of option.

As for the not granting XP after revive or spawn - again, why? If you spawn in a compromised position, more often than not it's your own fault. And if you think that XP/stats shouldn't be granted because it's a dishonorable easy kill - then go a step further and say that XP shouldn't be granted for kills made from vehicle. Or don't grant XP for kills made from behind.
    • Up x 3
  14. HadesR

I don't view it as dishonorable .. I view the XP / stat gain as promoting the action of spawn camping beyond the norm .. I'm sure you might disagree but there are a lot of people who spawn camp purely for the stat padding aspect ..

Changing the XP / stat gain would still retain it's use as a " Tactic " so there could not really be any complaints if they were removed .. Unless ofc people do it for the XP / stat gain ( and not worried about pissing them off anyway :p )
  15. FateJH

Shoot everyone who is not on your faction. Simple as that.
    • Up x 2
  16. NoctD

I really truly hate the fact that you don't have to stand on those cap points anymore - that was one thing the lattice totally did wrong.

Cap point influence should influence base capture timers.
    • Up x 1
  17. Leftconsin

I suspect this is to add disincentive for a small team to make a new guy, fly to a vacant hex, and take turns killing him for an hour. Although I don't care if that behavior is going on.
  18. Phyr

All it did was force a handful of people to stand around doing nothing while the rest of the team secured the base. It was a stupid mechanic that added nothing to the game.
  19. NoctD

Nope - now all you've down is freed up everyone to spawn camp instead.

In the old days, we'd get fights over the cap points/at the cap points instead of this lame spawn camping meta the lattice has produced.
  20. Phyr

No we didn't. We got 2-3 poor souls stuck on the cap point while everyone else camped the spawn. What game are you playing?