Is Quad core processors better than six cores?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by aazo5, Apr 20, 2013.

1. aazo5

The title says it all. I was wondering which is better for games such as PS2.
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz)

OR

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (12M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)
  2. Ganelon

As someone who is using the i7-3820, it works fine. I haen't had any experience with the 3930K, but this game is terrible at using multiple cores anyway.
  3. aazo5

So it wouldn't make a difference?
  4. Ganelon

It would probably be better to get the 3930K, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the money.
  5. Leadamse

To give you the short version of below: No, you don't need any extra cores.

For my recommendation:

i7 is NOT NEEDED for gaming, people who buy it want an over the top computer,mainly because they think it will improve their performance (it won't) even by just a little bit.

There's isn't a single game out there that uses more than 4 cores atm.

get an i5.

The rest of us who build realize it's not worth the extra money, not for gaming at least.
    We go on playing the game at the same or better quality and speed that they do.

get the i5, it'll last you as long as you need it to, and do it's job extraordinarily well.

the same applies for amd, for those on a budget.

invest that extra dough saved into your video card or a nice lunch.

Have you noticed that most gaming computers for sale have i5's in em? There's a reason for that.

There's no point in getting in i7. Even if you are ocd about the technology, it'll be obsolete by NEXT MONTH!

If you are one of those people who want a top of the line computer, you can get an i7, it's your money after all.

I'd say the 3830.

my two cents ^
    • Up x 6
  6. werzinator

In terms of PS2, no. In fact, most programs and games still don't run optimally in quad core setups, even less so in hex and octacore setups.

Are you on a budget? The amount of extra money you would pay for an i7 chip doesn't justify the +5 to +10 FPS you would gain over a cheaper i5-3570K or 2500K. I personally recommend an i5-3570K and getting an SSD to speed up the load times for the game
  7. aazo5

Well this is the case. I can send my PC back to get a 6 core processor. Should I? Or just upgrade it later?
  8. BlackDove

Why would you spend so much more to upgrade later, rather than just buying the better CPU up front? Spend more money now and you'll end up saving the $300 that the 3820 costs altogether.

LGA2011 CPU's have 40 lanes of PCI-E and the potential for 8 cores so that you can run multi-GPU configurations more effectively. If you're getting the 3820 with a single GPU, you could just as easily get an LGA1155 CPU and get the same performance for a lot less money.
  9. aazo5

Hows this from newegg? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=intel core i7-3930K 6 core&IsVirtualParent=1
  10. BlackDove

The 3930K is probably one of the best values from Intel. It's a few % less performance than a 3970X for about half the price. If you want to get that, and the rest of your system matches it in terms of performance and quality, it's an excellent value. Make sure you get a lot of RAM, really good PSU(Seasonic or Antec High Current Gamer(rebranded Delta), a good motherboard(Gigabyte or Asus) and you can easily have multiple GPU's on that CPU as well. It'll be an excellent system.
  11. aazo5

I already have 32GB (4 X 8GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz and a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB GDDR5. Would that be balanced?
  12. HellasVagabond

Hmm weird cause my 3930k still kicks @ss.....And i have it for over a year....Oh and nothing comes close to it (aside the higher end 39xxk CPUs by Intel).
  13. ZEPLN

I still have to overclock my 3930k. My 3820 ran PS2 better because it had a higher clock speed and this game doesn't support multi-threading.

For the time being, clock-speed is your best friend. I had my 3820 clocked to 4.7GHZ and it was amazing... but I had a faulty ASUS mobo and I ended up returning the rig and building a new one with the 3930k. From a purely planetside 2 aspect... I miss my 3820. The game was faster with that one.

Granted, I still have to overclock the 3930k, and being an unlocked i7, it has a lot of potential that I have yet to explore. Upon successfully overclocking, I might change my opinion.
  14. HellasVagabond

You can overclock it at 4GHz in under 5 minutes (like i have). Anything more and it's overkill especially with memory modules running at 2400MHz or more (not that memory speed plays that big of a role).
  15. aazo5

16. ZEPLN

4GHz sounds promising. I'm waiting to do it until after finals week (incase I blow something up :p)
  17. HellasVagabond

The easy way is to just change the multiplier. You will loose a very small percentage of firepower if you do it that way and not play around manually with every setting available (voltages, multiplier, bclk) but it's easier and won't damage anything.
  18. ZEPLN

Yeah agreed there. Multiplier is the way to do it. I don't quite know my way around the gigabyte bios yet, so I have some learning to do. I don't think I'll ever touch voltage, even if the i7 is insured.
  19. BlackDove

20. aazo5

Yes. But I just called Alienware. They said I can. So does anyone have any tips or video links for how to upgrade a processor? :p Sorry. i'm not the smartest with PCs yet. :)