Infiltrators may be getting a crossbow?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ravenorth, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Ravenorth

Now before you start jumping on walls, there is no confirmation on this at anywhere, its all just my own speculations.

On the latest test server patch, there was crossbow animations added alongside with REK(remote electronic kit) animations, which are probably for recon drone.

The Infiltrator update post says that we are getting a shared semi-automatic sniper rifle, which was kinda odd decision, since we already have both close/med range and med/long range semi-automatic sniper rifles, which were never used that much, so why add another such weapon? New BASRs at least makes more sense, since they they´re going to be empire specific.(assuming they dont mess it up)

So lets get back to the semi-auto sniper rifle, first I though "it cant be", since they clearly wrote that its going to be sniper rifle, but what if they just didn't want to reveal it yet?(that´s what I´d do) Then I thought that crossbows are not semi-automatics until I remembered this lil´ fellow:

[IMG]

As you can all see, it has a magazine, there´s also nothing that would suggest for it to be manual; strings seems to go into some kind of mechanized wheel, so its not totally impossible for it to be semi-auto and on top of that its also NS weapon.

Okay, then lets sum this all together:

• Infiltrator update is on the next month
    • The animations were added alongside with infiltrator related animation(REK) Im pretty sure they have their hands full of work, so why would they waste their time making animations for a crossbow?
    • It makes more sense than semi-automatic sniper rifle, since we already have two of them, which are not even used so much, so what would new semi-automatic sniper rifle possibly add to make it more popular than the previous ones?
    • They have a concept ready and semi-auto crossbow sounds pretty unique and is not common in shooters. How the heck it works? How does NS PDW works? Who cares? Nanites!
    Again, these are all just my silly speculations, I may be totally wrong with this all, so everybody just chill!
    • Up x 2
  2. hijinksleturtle

YES! Crossbow!!!! Finally! I'd say this would be my main weapon if they REALLY are going to have a crossbow!
  3. Botji

The only way I see this even having any function in the game aside from "looks" is if you can reload different bolts that do different things.

Normal: Single target damage(high)
    Explosive: splash
    EMP: Bzzzzt
    Recon: ?? gets upgraded with the recon tool??
    Long range: less damage but less drop?
    etc etc etc.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tenebrae Aeterna

They flashed a crossbow on an episode of...err...I'm not sure what the show is called but not Friday Night Ops. It was a long, long, time ago and I truly believed that they shied away from the idea...but perhaps this IS the Nanite Systems Semi-Auto "rifle" that they were talking about. It looks like a hybridization between a rifle and a crossbow...so it's perfectly possible.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it, but...if it's the case...then it's likely that it's VERY stealth oriented and exactly what I was hoping that the semi-auto NS rifle would be. In the words of Bruce Wayne, "Does it come in Black?"
    • Up x 2
  5. Imposer

I would really enjoy a Crossbow. I'll still be happy with the Inf update but a crossbow would be really nice. Also this made me think of Isa from Infinity Blade III.

[IMG]
  6. Hoki

It looks like it's rigged to be sort of a pump action like the M26 if you've played BF3.

I couldn't imagine it being better than an auto shotgun with slugs. (the true battle rifles)
    • Up x 1
  7. hijinksleturtle

I wonder if it'll come with new attachments like a longer barrel. That bar thing on the side looks like after you put a bolt mag in the gun, you pull it and the whole top comes down and closes the weapon, now ready for more action.
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

I am a little saddened by the lack of arms. If you're going to go for a crossbow, you should probably go all out and add the arms for the entire visual effect no?
  9. Zinus

Oh wow, it seems like it fires those rubber band thingies (those hurt alot, might be op)
  10. applecherry

Not many people using semi-autos does not mean NO one is using them. You gotta share a thought for other people that are using them and not just focus on BASR ALL THE TIME. This game need variety and not just basr only.

Natalie

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  11. BloodyG

the design looks really good, the crossbow they showed a few month ago had nothing on this one, will buy when stats are ok. :cool:
  12. Ravenorth

I agree, I use semi-autos often and I like them, but I hardly see other people using them nor get killed by one, of course it doesnt mean that no one is using them, but they´re still probably most underused weapons on PS2.
  13. Benevon

I gotta hand it to SOE for making some really cool looking weapons, even if a lot of them would not physically work in the real world, or be overly complicated. Especially that crossbow, or the reload animations for the revolvers. They do look awesome though :)

That being said, I think a crossbow option would work better in a mid ranged scenario than a long range sniping scenario. Those bolts are not going to have near the velocity that a rifle bullet will, going to have to lead those targets like crazy.
  14. Zagareth

NC gets a Crossbow,
    VS a Longbow
    and TR gets a Slingshot that can shoot sets of marbels (for the "spray 'n' pray effect", you know? :p)
    • Up x 2
  15. ISKNausicaa

I hope this is the new NS 'sniper rifle', if it is we could have some interesting effects like botji stated :)
  16. Gav7x

M26 dart + heavy barrel just gives me nightmare man, get it out of my face :D
    • Up x 1
  17. K2k4

No no guys.. Its not going to be semi auto.. It IS a crossbow so it will be BOLT action.

Anyways it'd be cool if this was the new ns bolt action that would be neat.
    • Up x 1
  18. Tenebrae Aeterna

The NS sniper rifle coming out is a semi-auto, and the crossbow concept depicted has a clip of bolts...or are you being sarcastic? -.o
  19. K2k4

I was trying to use a pun because crossbows fire bolts. It sounded quite funny in my head up until i tried to put it in my post. Tough crowd jeesh
    • Up x 4
  20. Chad444

I so hope this will happen. Super secret crossbow infiltrator FTW!