Infiltrator Very Long range sniping help!!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by KukKung, Dec 1, 2012.

1. KukKung

first off, I'm average player, and i love the snipers, game play is bolt action, very long range 12x scope. what i need help is choosing the right character, not a big fan of the TR sniper thus far. i'm wondering about the differences between the TR, VS, NC snipers

1/ which faction has least / none bullet drop off?
    2/ which faction has the least / none 12x scope sway?
    3/ which faction has least / none reduced dmg over distance?
    4/ which bolt action sniper rifle is ideal to use for either faction?
    5/ which faction has the best pistol for close quarters combat?

6/ which certs do i ideally need, i was leaning towards these?

- 12x scope
    - supressor
    - front grip
    - extra ammo pack
  2. A-KO

Honestly? They're all fairly similar with bolt action. I'll give some general sniping tips:
    • lead shots with sway, hold shift, take shot
    • Suppressor mostly useless. Just because they can't see your dot doesn't mean they can't follow the bullet trail.
    • Front grip is mostly useless for long range bolt action. Perhaps useful for semi auto.
    • If you truly intend to aim for long range glass cannon attacking, just beef up your health, shield, and cloak. Pick up the best bolt action rifle for your faction, and a range of scopes. Scopes can be changed mid-fight, allowing you to choose which is best for the immediate task.
  3. Qaz

snipers are relatively similar across the board, at least in points 1 and 2. Vanu has damage reduction, but it doesnt really matter as a headshot will still kill at extreme ranges.

as for which bolt action to use ... the cheaper one is alright. the 700 sc one (every faction has one) has a faster bullet speed though and thus makes it easier to hit moving targets.

Both TR and NC have very good pistols. The vanu one is very lackluster.
    As for certs .... cloak improvements, shield regen, iff upgrade, and maybe mines. before certing into a suppressor you should know that equipping one increases the bullet drop rather massively and thus makes sniping at extreme ranges rather hard. its function is to prevent you from showing up on the minimap, which shouldnt really be an issue if you are 250m+ from the nearest enemy.

front grip is relatively useless as well, as it's only relevant for automatic weapons (reduces horizontal recoil). oh, press shift to stabilise your scope before taking a shot!
  4. A-KO

Yeah, with the lack of options for long range sniping I'd love to see more options for us, like choosing the types of rounds we want to fire, etc. That would make things really interesting and allow you to customize a bit. But at the end of the day, nothing beats a good headshot :)
  5. KukKung

my biggest concern is the speed at which it takes time to target them, like i was saying pretty new to it, so does one faction or bolt action have the least sway? and most dmg?

you both mention there they are the same, so it doesnt matter which i use, im currently rank 10 with TR with the b77 bolt. should i switch or not?

because right now im leveling slowly and ive missed alot of opportunities because of the sway.
  6. A-KO

You have to hold in SHIFT when you want to take your shot. It also only holds for about 2-3 seconds, so you have to line up well. This will remove the sway.
  7. KukKung

corrrection M77.

side note. i did recently pick up a HSR-1 semi auto. i found it good because of no sway, just vertical recoil. is there a difference with head shot / body shot damage between semi/auto vs bolt? do bolts only do OHK?

i moved away from the semi with 6x scope, because to me it seemed i would have been better off using heavy / light character with scope for more damage having to be in that close to snipe. would that be fair statement?

what are the effective ranges for "long" vs "very long" and damage output head vs body between bolt/ semi auto?
  8. KukKung

ive used the shift, it still gives you a slight sway even at its best, why im wondering if any factions have a reduced sway or next to none with bolt action even when holding shift. generally i just finding it annoying that as you level your gun controll doesnt improve and hate having to hold shift to reduce sway each shot.
  9. Timeraider

1/ which faction has least / none bullet drop off?
    In my opinion Vanu sniper rifles OR the NC LA-80 (wonderfull with very little drop)

2/ which faction has the least / none 12x scope sway?
    All equal sway

3/ which faction has least / none reduced dmg over distance?
    All bolt-action kinda have the same dmg over range when comparing empires, most people do prefer either Vanu V10 or NC LA-80 to be the best at far range

4/ which bolt action sniper rifle is ideal to use for either faction?
    Vanu V10, NC LA-80 .. no clue about terran

5/ which faction has the best pistol for close quarters combat?
    In my opinion, terran. Their burst bullet pistol works best.

6/ which certs do i ideally need, i was leaning towards these?

- 12x scope
    - supressor
    - front grip
    - extra ammo pack

Front grip is useless, supressor is not that good, 12 times scope.. well.. i use it and really like it for real massive sniping. Extra ammopack.. if i had certs i would buy it since im far range lone wolf sniper. I did put some points in nanoweave but i think i will change to this.
  10. KukKung

Thanks for the info, i think i might go back to the hsr, question is there a damage difference between semi and bolt for body and head shot?, also since I'm using just long range and 6x scope for the hsr, will the suppressor still have a large bullet dropis out worth getting?
  11. Apina

Dont take supressor. Vanu's starter sniper rifle is good for long range sniping, its actually so good I dont even want to buy new gun. Everything dies to 2 headshots, press shift, aim head, shoot, wait, shoot, and dead target, 95% of the time they dont know what hit them.

Keep in mind though there isnt that many good long range sniping spost and usually they're known by enemy and damn crowded, sad really. Medium range where the action is. Also terrain is very restrictive, and we lack mobility big time.
  12. Timeraider

bolt is 1-shot against the head.. semi-automatic cant do that as far as i know. They require more then 1 headshot. For headshots, bolt-action owns.
    Bolt-action requires 2 bodyshots, semi requires about 3-4.. advantage about semi is the faster firerate ofc.

Well, 6 times scope isnt that much of a very long range scope. Nonetheless the suppresor will still almost have like 15 meters bulletdrop on such distances. 12 times scope with suppresor almost makes the bullet land below the scope :D

If you want to focus on longer ranges, dont take suppresor. If you prefer around 150 meters.. then its nice.
  13. TheCF

Bolt Action needs one headshot or two body shots, but you have to zoom out and reload after each shot.
    Semi-auto needs two headshots, one headshot and one bodyshot or three bodyshots to kill, but you don't have to zoom out or reload until you've emptied the mag. Also, after the recoil the aim resets to the exact point at which you fired, so getting two headshots isn't that hard. Shoot, half half a second, shoot again.
  14. StrangerDanger

TR has pretty bad snipers from what i can tell...and this is from someone who never plays infiltrator so i could be off here.

TR does have an advantage with the right guns and right mods to do HA/LA sniping. I have taken down an infiltrator or two by refitting my gun and sniping back, key is sneaking into the right position, usually flanking the snipers in a LA.

If you want to exact revenge on enemy snipers get a gun with higher accuracy, high velocity ammo, and a good long range scope. Personally i find that getting into a LA with infrared scope (no magnification) and flanking the infiltrators, getting close, then using the IR scope to see them cloaked is a great way to get revenge.
  15. Lazaruz

If you're VS, go for the V-10. If you're TR go for the SR-7. If you're NC go for the LA-80.
    All of those rifles are fairly similar, and kill with 1-shot to the head. As far as pistols go, TR reigns supreme with their "full auto" Repeater. I've heard good things about the NC's store bought "Rebel" pistol as well. If you're VS, better stick to the original, it's nothing special but it gets the job done.

Cert wise, I personally use a 10x scope but I was using the 6x and 7x for a long time. You will not need the 12x until they magically fix the infantry render distances, but I guess it's personal preference. Suppressor is a waste if you plan on doing your shooting at around 250m, but if you always stay below 150m then go for it. Forward grip does nothing for the bolt action except makes it look pretty. Not sure about how it effects the semi-autos since it's been a while since I used one, but you can do well without it anyway.
    For the suit mods/other certs, I carry as much ammo and health kits as I can, but decide what suits you best.
  16. KukKung

Thanks for all the input, i think I'm gonna go semi auto, long range, with the ammo belt, my sniping not the greatest, and I'm obviously wasting time and opportunity to hit ppl with the sway and rezoom, looks like if be more beneficial to my team to just pump out lead, might not get the 1 hit shot, but i can rack up a ton of assist kills
  17. KukKung

Question on dmg, why doors my hsr have full max damage on the start sheet, and the 77 has only half damage but yet in game situation, bolt does more damage?
  18. TheCF

That's how I started too. I had played very few military FPS before this, so I wasn't too good. I started Conglomerate but I hated their bolt action since I just got body shots and never any kill and the pain of having to reload. Went Terran and though I didn't get many kills, I could at least get a few in just by emptying my mag at a running guy (while I was screaming "Dance for me, Dance!" At them). After a while I learned how to line up shots to the head, and started getting kills by doing some accurate headshots followed by bodyshots.
    In short, going the way you're planning is a great way to learn IMO.

As for the dmg question, I haven't got the slightest idea why the weapon chart-things are as inaccurate as they are. For weapon info, real data, check the recent thread called something like "Weapon comparison for all factions".
  19. KukKung

Well I've gotten my share of head shots, i really hate to lose the advantage of very long range, maybe in time I'll get quicker, but there s so many moving players that going semi with no sway would be more of an ideal support character, figure I'm far back enought that the front line will take most of the attention and damage

Any recommendations on semi vs fill auto, i just assume that full auto has a bigger recoil whet as semi has a slight recoil and resets back to original position
  20. TheCF

Wait what? There are no full auto snipers, and the closest is a full auto scout rifle meant for close-quarter combat.
    The only two sniper types are Bolt-action and semi-auto...