Infiltrator Update Details

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Fightfan84, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Nobalification

Its possible to mount motion sensor to the enemy or ally vehicle?
  2. DeathSparx

Fighting fire with fire...that would be great if every other class couldn't kill us off even more effectively than we can...and I'm talking CQC for the most part. Sniping is rather obvious in this regard.
  3. K2k4

I think we need to calm down a little about the changes. The secret benefit to the infiltrator update will be the focus that the class will be getting. If the devs do not normally play with infiltrator then they will try and find that the learning curve is pretty significant and with any luck they will buff the class or mess with the sniping mechanics to make things more tolerable to newer players. The result will be that those of us who have been playing infiltrator consistently will be monsters on the field. The changes will also allow us more flexibility than we had before if e don't want to snipe.
  4. Lioren

This is a slightly different version of what I've already posted elsewhere on the forum.

Out of all of these proposed changes, only the stalker cloak and the drone have any appeal to me. I'd prefer the drone have some sort of weapon option, but I can also see why it might not go in that direction. The iff and faction-specific sfx will have to go away to make the stalker cloak useful, though, otherwise it will probably be of little value, even if 100% invisibility while crouched and not moving is implemented (unless you're willing to sit still for a while). The rest of the changes are particularly lackluster imo, though the new weapons might be an exception to that.

What I would like to see most of all, though, is some sort of limited anti-vehicle capabilities for infiltrators. I think having the choice of ap mines, or at mines, or c-4 would be a good change. It would be nice to not be nearly useless against vehicle spam, or vehicles in general. In the time I've played that has been perhaps the most frustrating thing, and while hacking turrets can be useful, it is not hard for the opposing faction to find you and put an end to it.

It would also be nice to be able to lay down mines while cloaked, without breaking the cloak.
  5. kingskorpio80

Are they gonna fix the ridicolous way on which infiltrator stand out like white or clearly black shadows on low or very low settings even at long distances if they are zooming on you with a mgnified scope? because if not i really don't see how stalker cloak is gonna be of any use.
    • Up x 3
  6. Crovax20

I watched the video about the infiltrator update.... So basically its either, we can do 100 things that don't really make your class more interesting, or we could put vehicle hacking in the game and make a huge difference to worth of the infiltrator.
  7. Fightfan84

3000 views and nearly 100 replies. Let's keep the discussion going full force and maybe someone on the dev team will get the hint.
  8. KnT47r

IMO the drone needs to serve 2 functions (at least)
    1. Spotting, not motion sensing. With the T-UGS (that's pretty much what we're getting) and the RDD AND vehicle radar there is already far too much detection utilities just to add yet another one.
    2. Some kind of AT support, whether that be;
    i. launching it's own unguided rockets. Think a smaller capacity version of the ESF rocket pods
    ii. dropping EMP bombs that disable vehicles (or just their weapons/vision/movement) for x amount of time
    iii. lasing a target for an orbital strike/cruise missile type thing
    3. Able to swap out the AT support for an AP gun (optional, but would be a good addition) like the HAs starter LMG
  9. Avraa

Honestly, when I saw this update info I was a bit pissed. I found it to be pretty much worthless.
    Just random ideas/examples I have below next to the official ones.

1. Improved Decoy Grenades
    So you are fixing something that is already in the game and want to pawn it off as a feature? Get real, still worthless.

If you wanted to get creative, you could of made a disable grenade where in a radio of x around the grenade for xx seconds all equipment losses power. So vehicles would stop dead in their tracks for a few seconds, turrets would stop operating for a moment, and terminals.

2. Stalker Cloak
    Interesting but the fact that he is like so you can actually infiltrate just shows there is a problem with the core of the class to start with. Why not make the Stalker cloak take up our grenade and/or prox mine slot instead of a primary weapon, not like we have much ammo anyways.

Again, could of got creative. Behind Enemy Lines Cloak. Removes the cloak/uncloaking sound but reduces movement by 10% when active.

3. Motion Sensor
    I swear, this made me go wtf. With the current sensor darts I don't need more than one out to know generally where the enemy is going when I am solo. If I am hunting with a squad, I toss more darts out and if there is an enemy that shows up I even overlap them so that they are constantly there. Why? Because there is pretty much always an engineer around throwing ammo out. I can place darts where I want and can get the same effect in a combat situation.

Why not Jamming Darts? We have lots of radar stuff and ways to see people, why not use the same sensor gun but to shoot jamming darts where it disables radar devices/mini map in the area the dart is shot, can act have the life/range as a sensor dart but it blocks info instead of gives it. Simple and effect.

4. New Suit Slot
    Come on. Outside of when you are first really learning everything and once you learn to know what the mines look like to know what to look for this becomes nearly a non issue. Yes, you will die sometimes to them due to well place ones or you just cant take the time to look, but nanoweave is always the superior choice. If it is upgraded to 5 you can normally survive a mine if you do happen trigger one, but it gives you the added benefit of survive ability from the source of any othe damage.

How about a suit that improves the amount of time that our cloak can be active. Energy Suit. Gives you armor benefit, just improves the amount of time you can stay cloak before your energy runs out. Or what about a suit that can drastically reduces the amount of sway when using a sniper rifle or can allow you to hold your breath a lot longer.

5.Straight bolt

This seems fine and needed. I rarely ever snipe and prefer to play the class by its name. So I can't say much about this.

6. Recon Drone
    This is interesting and imo the best item of the bunch. I say do not give it weapons. In stead make it utility. Give it a proximity sensor and let it carry like a couple of smoke grenade rounds. That way you can help your team advance.

A cool toy I think would of been a remote hacking device type of thing. What I mean is, you hack a turret and you can place the item next to it and you can go off and hide somewhere and remotely control the turret. That way when you draw a ton of attention towards the turret once you start firing it you are off hiding somewhere and don't basically put a giant HERE I AM sign for the entire opposing team to see.
  10. Camatoo

i dont think the drone will get any weapons..i think its a little like the Phoenix from NC. You have a view of the enemy base and can check the defense. But im afraid that this utility costs SC and it is just a fun item. I mean, i dont want weapon on this drone, come on, rockets on a drone...look, people cry if we OHK them at a distance of 200m (before the NW update :confused:) what do you think will happen if this utility had a MG or rockets.

A few questions about the drone:
    How many HP will it have?
    What range? Over 400m or less?
    Duration? Forever until its shoot down or about 30sec till one minute?
    Visibility? Is it a blincking screaming drone who will yell everytime it see a enemy or is it a little and sneaky drone with a little hitbox.

These questions are important for me. The rest of the update is just...i mean..a fix, a claok without a good weapon (if you shoot with the underdog or commisioner, anyone of the whole base see that red blinking "kill me dot" on the minimap), more scout that nobody needs and a useless suit slot. I hope this is not the "great cloaker update" that will hopefully come in august.

Im only really excited at the Straight Bolt. Its not a feature for long range sniping, but its very helpful at 100m. The big problem is the Weapon slot...if they take away the scope or worse, the suppressor...well then i will quit this game, because not only ONE of the SOE team plays an sniper in this game.
  11. Wayfar

The problem with game development is that things have been worked on for weeks prior to them being announced.

I think that is why the things we ask for don't get worked by the time they have new things coming.

Planetside 2 is Planetside 2.0, for sure. Or at least, getting there. They are just rebuilding something that has already been done. Making it a little more modern but still playing catch up. At least to me. They haven't gotten to the point when real, freshness is being introduced beyond remaking the core of PS1.

Nothing wrong with that. Just I think it'll be a year or more before we see some real strides towards working on more unique gameplay elements. So people disappointed with not seeing a lot of "cool" stuff (myself included!) will just have to wait it out and HOPE the devs pay attention to us early enough to actually attend to our real demands. :)

>>oh and yeah pullbolt = rail slot or nothing!!
  12. RobinTheRude

Still waiting for the day the devs realise that 'Infiltrator' does, in fact, mean 'Infiltrator', and not 'Sniper' or 'Marksman', 'Assassin', or even 'Recon'.

If the Stalker Cloak works properly (as in actually concealing the Inf), it might work as a means to infiltrate...what, exactly? The vehicle terminal?
  13. Camatoo

it would be so funny if they fix the problem with the low settings at the cloak^^ so many victims will fall under my SMG and knife
    I would barther all these "updates" to this fix
  14. Lioren

I just had another idea: how about giving infiltrators the ability to booby-trap consoles and turrets, not just hack them? Enemy goes to change class or spawn a vehicle, console explodes. Enemy hops in to a turret, takes aim, pulls the trigger, turret explodes. Damage could be equal to a prox mine, or could be variable based on how many certs you drop on it.

That is something that I'm sure could be a ton of fun.
  15. Get2dachoppa

Well, another day of fighting the enemy and all was going well until they started pulling more and more vehicles. So glad I have the Infiltrator update to look forward to when I'll actually be able to do something against those tanks, harassers, and sunderers.

Oh wait....
  16. Canno

I'm not usually one of those "the devs don't play" people, but that video and the update make me wonder.

Kill max's with mines? Did they up our carrying capacity to like.. 6?

"When you're rushing a base an infiltrator will be able to spot the explosives" - when rushing a base no one really gives a darn about mines. They run in, explode, medic revives. Is ANYONE going to stop a rush because an infiltrator says "Look out boys, a mine!" Running around an empty-ish base gives plenty of time to see the blinking lights on the mines now.

Stalker cloak - if it's not true invis it's of little use. Knife should be upgradable for infs wearing a stalker.

Straight bolt is useful for some but overall not very interesting. If it's not on rail (since we have nothing useful there) then it won't be used - at least on rail and may as well cert it just to have.

Recon drone is interesting. Depends on what's sacrificed to get it and what it's capabilities are. Hey maybe it can drop 6 mines so we can blow up a max (<-- sarcasm). Trying to think of situations where a drone may be useful - finding enemy sunderers, snipers, spawn becons? They can't make it tough enough that it can take a beating, can it be locked on to? It's going to get shot down fast.. limited use. Would I give up my mines or recond darts for it? Probably not.

Motion sensor - I guess? Not sure what purpose it would serve other than helping secure your sniping spot. Which is limited use since you should be moving around anyway. Also a mine detects motion pretty good too - comes with bonus chance to kill someone. I can fire a recon dart pretty far versus running to a spot and dropping a sensor that the enemy can just destroy...

SUPER excited about the decoy grenade fix though! Hooooooboy will the enemy every be fooled by that! Never mind that the map shows there's 1-12 enemies in the area, 1-12 allies, but a big ol' fight over there! Def. going to use this over a grenade that does damage or even the EMP (<--- sarcasm).

No vehicle hacking because the code would be too much. But the possibility that mines could be hacked via implants. I guess? Hacking a sunderer could be as simple as making it un-deploy. Hacking a tank could prevent it from moving for a duration (should be long-ish). The solutions can be simple. Very few asked for actually taking over a vehicle.

No mention of counter-radar since everything has radar.

No mention of making the recon dart NOT show up on radar when fired.

And the update kept getting pushed back to implement this stuff.... Half baked and limited use items, overall. Sweet.
  17. zaspacer

I disagree here.

I would definitely use this Cloak when trying to long distance Stealth into an enemy base to Hack a Vehicle Terminal and spawn a Sunderer.

Being able to be perma-Cloaked means:
    1) safe from ESFs/Air spotting me (especially if they have Scout Radar)
    2) safer from most vehicles and other units spotting me
    3) safe from Scout Radar
    4) no noise from de/re-Cloaking

I do this kind of long distance Stealthing a LOT, and being able to have the above advantages would be huge.

I'll probably also spend a lot more time figuring out which bases have accessible Infantry Terminals, so I know which ones I can sneak into and change into something else when I get there (without having to spawn a Sunderer).
  18. Dr. Euthanasia

Stalker Camouflage is not a "perma-cloak". It's permanent while standing still and most likely will only allow you to advance extremely slowly if you don't intend to turn it off. You most definitely will not be safe from vehicles and infantry spotting you either, in the sense that while their spot command may not work, their bullets most certainly will, and unlike with Hunter Stealth you'll spend a lot more time standing still for them too.

Quite simply, if this cloak is going to work at all, it's going to need more diverse stages of visibility than Hunter Stealth and to be completely invisible at its most effective one. Nothing less is going to allow us to effectively infiltrate in close range, and I challenge anyone who disagrees to try and hide indoors using Hunter Stealth's crouched/stationary mode. Its visibility will fail you long before the 12 second duration does.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scan

Sitting still crouching, is as close to invisibility it's going to get I'm afraid. I too think our range in which we can move will be limited. Makes it all the more dangerous, since we will only have a pistol.

The stalker cloak, I think, will not replace the huntercloak. You will not be able to use it well in open areas. It will be situational. It will only work well as long as you haven't been spotted. That's what I think it will be. It'll still be the better option in highly populated areas such as towers, but not make you impossible to find

What I hope: is that it will make you fully invisible, even when running, at the expense of it running out super fast.

It will take skill to use, it has major drawbacks, and still is a side grade to huntercloak, but damn...

The mindgames you'll be able to pull off.... Gives me a semi just thinking about it....
  20. zaspacer

Per OP:
    So then the questions are how does the following work on Stalker Cloak?:
    1) appearance
    2) duration
    3) recharge speed
    4) noise

IF Stalker Cloak has the same appearance, duration, and recharge speed as Hunter Cloaking Device, except that standing still recharges it (at the same speed as an uncloaked recharge), and makes no noise unless uncloaking, then I stand by what I said.

I don't mind sitting crouched while I wait to recharge it. Just being able to have Cloak up with no sound fill time is all I need.

As long as the Stalker Cloak is just like the Hunter Cloak except it recharges while Cloaked (and at the speed of the Hunter un-Cloaked recharge), I will use it.

Again, I would be using it for long distance travel, that I already have a lot of experience doing. Any use beyond this would depend on how powerful and (ab)usable they made it.