Infiltrator Update Details

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Fightfan84, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Fightfan84

MLG live Anaheim Infiltrator Update Info
    Improved Decoy Grenade - shows up on HUD and makes gunshot sounds
    Stalker Cloak - Fill up cloak bar while stopped. Moving lowers the cloak bar. Downside give up primary weapon
    Motion Sensor - Real time motion sensing. Planted on the ground and can be destroyed
    New Suit Slot - Shows explosives on HUD and threw walls
    Straight Bolt - Shoot Bolt action rifles without leaving scope, gonna take up a weapon slot
    Recon Drone - You control a flying spy drone, maybe weapons..unclear
    New Infiltrator weapons but no specific's. NS SMG will be in Update 12 or 13

Vehicle hacking was talked about. The word is a big no.
    Prone isn't likely going to happen due to amount of code to get it working well.
    Medic will likely be the next class update from what Arclegger said.
    • Up x 2
  2. Fightfan84

This is from the MLG live Anaheim: Day 2 feed. Most of this is meh for me. I am really excited about the straight bolt. Stalker cloak will be okay if it makes you completely invisible while crouched and hopefully they give you more secondary ammo. The decoy grenade definitely needed some love. But the motion sensor is just redundant and not mobile. The new suit slot I won't be using. Recon Drone might be cool if it has a weapon system. What do you guys think?

Instead of a motion sensor which is redundant when we already have recon darts why not a sensor jammer on the Infiltrator that shuts down the minimap and HUD of enemies within a certain range. It would need to be mobile to be effective.
  3. Mustarde

Thanks fpr posting. I was watching the stream, overall they are adding a lot more features to the class than the max update. Pretty cool!

Stalker cloak should be awesome. Curious about motion sensor... how it will change my gameplay. Straight bolt - i've gotten so used to unscoping, I wonder how it will feel with this attachment.

Recon drone. Seems gimmicky, but i am totally open to it. Cool!
  4. Curse_Gamerkin

Stalker cloak is ok if the cloak wasnt obvious and broken
    Showing explosives is... ok
    Drone is the biggest deal, better be decent.
    NS SMG a new OP wep that everyone will buy and will be nerfed.
  5. Gadamlu

interesting, at least it isnt that much longer for the NS SMG :)

no, unlikely to be OP. the only NS weapons that have ever been nerfed were bursters and the annihilator, and the annihilator was an indirect nerf to all lockon weapons, so it did not specifically target it.
  6. Shuuda

I don't think the motion sensor will be redundant depending on how it works. If the motion sensor lasts for as long as it's planted in the ground, as opposed to the limited lifespan of the darts, then it could be a useful tool for snipers. They could put one down near where they'll be sniping and use it to watch their backs without worrying about ammo or having to keep firing it off.

In before the mass whining.
    • Up x 3
  7. Get2dachoppa

So between Recon darts, scout radar, proximity radar, and now motion sensors and recon drones...how are we supposed to sneak up on anyone? And still no way for us to do anything against vehicles. I don't consider the decoy grenade to be an update so much as a bug fix. Thing never worked properly from day one.

I'd give up all those changes in a nanosecond for a way to stay off radar and something to do against vehicles. I'll wait to see how they play out, but my feeling right now is kinda "meh"
    • Up x 1
  8. Aimeryan

This is just a few of what they have been working on for the last few months right? Not like, all of it... right?

Improved Decoy Grenade - Decoy Grenade, probably one of the most useless items in the game. Improved useless = still pretty much useless. Regardless, seems like very little work needed to implement - maybe an hour for a proper coder?

Stalker Cloak - Really, really, hope this is not all of it. Indefinite duration (under certain circumstances), but no primary. Ok, good start, need the rest. Hopefully it also has improved visibility reduction, at least while immobile - very much preferably also crouch moving. Otherwise, indefinite duration just by itself isn't going to cut it. If what Fightfan has posted is what we get with the Stalker Cloak then I really can't see what took them so long working on it. Minimum amount of work required to modify the Hunter Cloak to this, while offering no new playstyle really at all - if this is all of it. Fingers crossed it is not.

Motion Sensor - so, recon dart, but permanent. Nice, but how much time could this have really taken to work on?

New Suit Slot - right. Next.

Straight Bolt - finally, but really, they aren't even copy and pasting code this time; it is simply not using already existing code. "gonna take up a weapon slot" - what does this mean Fightfan? Like, rail attachment? Scope? Barrel attachment? First one would be completely fine (we have nothing there anyway), but replacing the scope or barrel would be a big problem for certain situations.

Recon Drone - I am 99% sure this is what has taken up the vast, vast majority of the time; and I don't think anyone has even asked for it. Weapons, good (maybe), otherwise almost pointless given our radar capabilities already. Still, if this is what has taken up all the time I am very disappointed in the delays.

New Infiltrator weapons - who cares? There are so many more important things that need doing that I really couldn't care less if they took weapons away at this point if it meant they worked on something else.

Conclusion - Is this is all that is happening I am gone. Simple as that.
    • Up x 4
  9. Shuuda

Er... Stalker Cloak.

Also, ridiculous assumption that every class must be able to handle every situation much?

As someone who's actually okay with the way the class is right now and plays it with few hitches (unlike pretty much everyone else here) I'm quite interested in some of these things.

I've been practicing my pistol/knifing a lot recently, and the Stalker Cloak looks like it'll go perfectly with that fighting style.

The Recon Drone looks like it might give me team-based ultility to the class. It sounds like it might be useful with voice comms, where an infiltrator can relay to his team exactly what he's seeing.

The sniper rifle addition sounds like I'll love it because it'll make dunce players even easier to backstab.
  10. Sidecar77

Hmm..
    Between Get2dachoppa's and Aimeryan's posts, I feel jipped, nerfed, and generally bamboozled. I agree with both posts to the end of my soul and back.

Maybe one of the new weapons will be armor peircing? (desperate hope*)
  11. Fightfan84

I agree with everything you said here. I would like a Jamming Dart to counter all these things.

Aimeryan They weren't specific on what weapon slot the straight bolt would use. Sounded like they were still deciding where to place it. The scope slot would definitely be a dumb idea. They mentioned rail and barrel but were really undecided. I think it should be a rail option since we really don't have any that are useful in that slot. Now if they made foregrips reduce scope sway or increased your hold breath timer for sniper rifles it would be a different story.
    • Up x 1
  12. Get2dachoppa

Well if we assume the Stalker Cloak operates the same way as the Hunter, you'll still be on Scout Radar when you turn it off to shoot someone. Recon darts will still detect you moving around. And I would imagine the motion sensors will detect you as well. And if its as visible as the Hunter Cloak, all someone has to do is just look at you to see you.

I'd prefer this game with less radar, not more of it. Or at least more ways to counter it. Maybe implants will give us something to do that.

And what ridiculous assumption did I make about every class handling every situation? Infiltrators having something to do against vehicles? That's quite a misleading exaggeration. It's not like I'm asking for Infiltrators to be able to heal, repair, and jetpack around too. A better question is, why do you think the Infiltrator should be the ONLY class with NO way to interact with vehicles?
    • Up x 2
  13. cfnz

I'd expect that to be most if not all of it. Look at the MAX update in terms of content and make a comparison.
  14. Sworaven

In case you haven't seen it, here's a vid NedCentral posted:
    • Up x 1
  15. Mustarde

This is more than I expected them to put out for the class update. I have been saying for a while that this update would be underwhelming, given what I saw with the max. I am not sure how much of it will translate into new playstyle, or enhanced performance, but I'm not going to judge. All I can say is that the announcement contained more content than I expected.
  16. CuteBeaver

Oh the fun i am going to have with decoy grenades.
  17. Aimeryan

Given the huge delays I am very underwhelmed. Most of that stuff is just fluff and/or bug fixes that wouldn't have taken more than a cup of tea or two to do.

The recon drone and motion sensor speaks volumes to me of the fact that the developers don't know just how much intel is already in the game - proximity radar (dart, vehicles), scout radar (vehicles), spotting, map "hotspots", minimap (unsilenced weapons, capture points, generators, terminals), chat (text of various channels, voice). Is the absolute thing the infiltrators really need right now more intel at the expense of other things that could be worked on?

Suit slot, explosive detection. Well, there are two classes that uses anti-personnel mines at the moment (which would be the chief use of this suit slot) - engineer and infiltrator. Engineers often use other things in that slot instead - tank mines and C4. Therefore, infiltrators are the main ones that would lose out to people who take this. On a sidenote, is this really going to be that useful anyway? If I take flak or nanoweave instead I get the same benefit (surviving mines) while also getting much much more.

Decoy grenade is a bug fix, not a new feature. Shouldn't be in the class update, just general fixes.

This leaves us with the only three updates really worth talking about; the Straight Bolt, the new weapons, and the Stalker Cloak. The Straight Bolt is something that even a novice programmer could have done while eating a sandwich - it is simply, attach this, skip part of the normal code. Still, useful none-the-less, but only a minor update if bolt-actions did their jobs to begin with. Just not really anything that should have taken any time to do. At all. In any universe.

That sort of brings me on to the new weapons. I am having a hard time imagining any useful sidegrades for close-range combat at the moment. Upgrades I can think of easily - just give us the same sort of weapons that everyone else can use. Side-grades for long-range combat are likely to be fixes in disguise (and actually therefore upgrades); bolt-actions that ignore nanoweave on headshots, or do more min damage (enough to OHK again) but have slightly slower rate of fire, etc. This is needed, but once again it is more bug fixes in disguise of new content if they do do this.

The Stalker Cloak is just an energy usage change at the heart of it, with primary weapons disabled. Instead of draining energy when stationary energy is recharged. This is again something that shouldn't really have taken any time. If this is the extent of the differences between the Stalker Cloak and the Hunter Cloak I think many infiltrators are going to be very disappointed. There is simply no use in being in cloak for long periods of time without primary weapons if you are still going to be very visible at close range.

The flat-out refusal for vehicle hacking (in any form) is pretty horrendous too. No talk about new base features for us to hack (it is not in the roadmap directly, so it was strongly hoped it might be in the Infiltrator Update). Nothing about new avenues of approach unique to infiltrators (yay for having to run through chokepoints with a dozen enemies aiming their guns at you!).

Basically, if this is the update then they could have removed the fluff and have released it two months ago. Then get on with the real update.
    • Up x 1
  18. KnT47r

TBH I'm pretty disheartened about the update, though I have high hopes for the drone.

IMO it should;
    - Be cooldown based and NOT resource based. Similar to the Spawn Beacon for example.
    - NOT have a passive motion sensor/spotter or it'd overlap with the new motion sensor/sensor darts. Can still Q spot
    - Be a mini-jet like thing, similar to the ESFs but around the size of a MAXs torso
    - Weaponised (with certs of course) with either a light machine gun (the Heavy's starter LSW would be perfect) or a guided missile launcher like the Engy AV turrets
    - Have a maximum range from the infiltrator. Screen goes all static (like when you're hit with an EMP) if you're too far out, if you keep going you lose control of the drone and it crashes to the ground

Make it happen SOE
  19. Elddric

There is only one thing I would like more then stalker cloak... Pull the trigger uncloaks and fires. did they say anything about that being in the update?
  20. DeadliestMoon

Yeah I was thinking, since Infiltrators have recon darts, why not give them "jammer darts" that works the same way recon darts do except it jams the enemys signals. Which means they won't be able to spot people and their minimap is scrambled.