[Suggestion] Increase death timer; Give medics limited revives

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Jun 21, 2018.

1. karlooo

This may increase fps in fights, and make the game more strategical.

Right now no one values their life, just running in where ever. Sometimes fights are super clustered, too many people, which is not fun and most unfun thing is the low fps! In a normal fight my fps drops like from +30 to below 15, that's a bit extreme.

You know the MAX units? The ppl in the MAX do not want to die, because the units are expensive. When needed they fall back, take cover, they do not run in cause if they die noone will be able to revive them. Do the same thing for regular infantry.

Increase death timer to 50 seconds and give medics 10 revives, which could be resupplied at the terminal, just an example. Some ppl may not find this good...50 seconds ?!
    But this will make the fights more interesting. People will have to think about their decisions. Work as a team. To breach rooms, team will need to coordinate an attack, keep the medics alive. Not rush in mindlessly.

And maybe it may increase fps because of smaller infantry numbers. It will also make redeploys slower.
  2. Eternaloptimist

You're not suggesting we spend more time not playing i.e. dead just so that you can get a better fps are you? Or that Medics have their ability to do what the class actually does best slashed for the same reason?

Speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with fps (even though I run on an i3 processor) and I play this game for the massive fights, so I don't recognise the concept of "too many people".
  3. karlooo

It's like as if you didn't read what I wrote. Btw not many people have expensive gaming computers. You're saying like as if I'm the only one having fps issues and I want it to increase lol.

But basically ignore the fps part... just think about what it can do to the game, if you increase death timers.
    For me, I would see people taking cover, taking their time, fights being faster, less clustered up, no more shooting waves of enemies, more strategical gameplay instead of rushing through one entrance, other classes being used more often.
    With death timers there will be massive fights, if organized.
  4. Halkesh

I mean no harm, but if you want that, i think it's time to seek for an other game, planetside don't feature that and trying to change the game this much will be hard, assuming it's possible at all. Arma and Men of War are amazing if you want the most realistic battle as possible, planetside 2 is just another arcade game.

As long as while dead people have no impact in the game and nthing to do, you're supposed to keep a short death penalty or it will kill the game. 50 sec is way too much compared to the current 15-20 sec.

You want to increase death penalty by +30 sec ? Add +30 sec travel time between the capture point and the spawn.
    It will impact the game the same way as +30 sec death penalty but will offer multiple tactical choice and will make non-spawn logistic more revelant.
  5. Demigan

This is going to blow up in your face so incredibly hard.

going from the 7 to 10 seconds we have now to 50 seconds would be absolutely horrible and kill the game. We already have the perfect system that shows us where this will go: KD.
    KD ****** try to avoid deaths already. When you see half a dozen Heavies not assault an entrenched position despite it giving them the victory if they did you've seen the "careful gameplay". If you add massive downtime for deaths you get griefers galore. "Hey how about I'll just teamkill a bunch of dudes to screw with them?". Or how about all the cheesy methods of play. Vehicles would suddenly reign even more supreme. Kill 9 dudes and you've just made them spend more time dead than the time it cost you to regain the resources for your vehicle (and we haven't even considered the time it takes to get back to the fighting). Chokepoints would be impossible to take as no one wants to attack it (you said it yourself, careful play) and there won't be a way passed them any time soon. Also in many bases you get just a few lives before the base is taken. Considering the average lifespan of infantry is 2 minutes you get about 4 lives or something to defend a base and that's assuming you don't play more careful.
    The game also sports too many deaths that couldn't really be avoided. A Sniper getting a lucky headshot on a moving player. A lagspike that helps an enemy rather than you (or it helps you and screws over the enemy, doesn't matter). Running into a MAX or vehicle etc.

Also, what are you going to do when dead? Sit around doing nothing for a minute? At the very least provide dead players with something to do, such as controlling AI equipment (indirectly), calling in support for allies etc.

You know, this would heavily reduce the amount of strategies and interesting things players will do. No one is going to try and flank an enemy is they risk running into an uneven fight. No one is going to attempt new stuff like a new weapon or vehicle if it's even slightly bad because it'll make them spend more time in the deathscreen. PS2 isn't build for high death penalties. You can achieve more by making deaths have less meaning.
    • Up x 2
  6. Leaire

No, all this will result in is fewer people attacking and starting fights, fewer people playing infantry, and more heavies. I can't think of a single worse change you could make in earnest.
    • Up x 2
  7. DarkStarAnubis

PS2 gameplay is the equivalent of "Pyramid Scheme" in Business: it works only if you have a steady flow of newcomers who are getting (guess what) farmed mercilessly over and over again by experienced players who have spent years and years firing the same weapons, fighting in the same continents, driving the same vehicles.

it is not even a matter of skills: if an infiltrator knows the right branch to jump onto the central Biolab Tower, then he can farm endlessly.

To balance frequent deaths and avoid frustration you have medics to resurrect dead ones, the Phylactery implant and if everything fails, just respawn at leisure.

If you take that one out or reduce it, expect even less players to remain in the game, and we have already empty continents...
  8. adamts01

I think a bigger problem is base design. We're limited in maneuvers because of all the choke points and have very limited options of where to hold up and fight from. Look at Squad as an example of how to do it right. You fight for population control over a very large area. Cyrious suggested a change to this system in his hybrid lattice video. I really think that's the way to go. I also love how Squad handles forward spawns. It's similar to our squad spawn beacon but there's no glowning beam showing everyone where it is, but instead a more easily spotted over-size backpack with limited spawns. Arma also does something similar in one of their better mods, "Ace" I think. It's either a deployable backpack for a solo spawn or a deployable tent for squad spawns. It causes the enemy to have to observe the flow of enemy troops and really scout out where exactly they're coming from, very similar to what you do with our cloaked sundies in small fights. But, both of those games have much better concealment for those spawns. I really wish Planetside would shift towards that tactical type of play and away from lemmings pouring out of the single place to hide a Sundy, just to hit a meat grinder when they approach the single little point that matters.
  9. karlooo

Well yeah I know heavy classes would be spammed by some squads...but with the current death timers they are still being overused in base fights lol.
    Like I know only increasing death timers will cause problems. But I'm not meaning only change death timers.

I'm suggesting a new meta, that looks enjoyable in my eyes. Everyone has their own head and also other changes and rules could be added to make the game balanced...

Like for example rework some classes, remove some abilities, switch weapons with some classes....Everyone has their own head and can come up with anything.

All this change would do is make the players/squads more cautious about their decisions, value everyone life more, and create more strategy.
    Constant changes to a game are not good, but when did this game ever have a change? One change would bring good.

This game could be getting a ton of players, just no one wants to play it because of the brutal, unfun cert grinds. I tried bringing ppl in. Most people can't deal with the cert grind, some ppl can. Like I don't care about the grind, I can deal with it. But this game could have way more players if items would be free and only special items for money or currency.
    Special items could be for example new vehicles or some structures devs don't want to be spammed, overused.

Another big problem is 2/3 of the players are not playing the actual game...They are trying to cert grind lol. Giving players items for free will make them understand the game better, help the devs make balance changes, maybe enjoy it, and donate money for a special item in return, and also bring more players.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

yea let´s not do that .. i am not intrested in waiting a full minute whenever i get a tankcannon or dalton to the face ..
    nerfing medic revives is again bad for defenders and just further boosts the snowball when even slightly outnumbered ...
    • Up x 1
  11. karlooo

Your comparing it too much to current gameplay...anything can change.
  12. LordKrelas

And you're not providing any 'extra' unmentioned-earlier information on said changes or how it would affect gameplay to make being dead for a minute+ while having every medic be useful for 10 uses before executed, not be murderous.
    Hell, what else is there to compare it to? You don't paint the picture of where your gameplay exists.

If a 1.2 second TTK, is paired with a 50+ second respawn, You aren't reducing Heavy Assault use.
    If your unlisted changes, includes making that ability gone: then what?
    You have an "Assault Class" with no mobility, a low TTK, numerous near instantaneous deaths, long-range AOE tanks, Aircraft with AOE weapons, and numerous highly accurate, high RPM weapons, with a massive minute long period of JUST being dead.
    Like what exactly can change to make an entire minute unable to do anything, enjoyable?

They're not getting more 'tactical', someone throws a grenade, hits a spawn room shield with a tank, a rocket, an aircraft, or even C-4.. You just made numerous people be unable to play for an entire minute.
    The "grind" for anything, goes through the roof, as the time between deaths prolongs the time needed to gain a single cert.
    Unless you're a Cortium Miner, and death is rare, you basically just added minutes unless your ability to stay alive is bloody high
    So camping becomes more painful for ALL players on the receiving end, as it takes a minute to try again, lucky-shots become god-send, and a single vehicle ends an entire attempted attack.
    As a full minute means, No sod is able to keep the pressure on anything without being in a Vehicle or a Max.
    and medics? Oh they best shoot themselves in the head, after 10 revives, given they aren't exactly sitting in a Spawn room when trying to use their revive ability..

Vehicle spam would be through the roof.
    Unless made useless, in which case, to support a minute-long death, You **** 90% of the game..
    So your computer can get more FPS..
    We die for minutes long, and have Medics whom after 10 revives, might as well kill themselves.
    Oh, and a possible thousand unlisted changes.
    As, a 50+ second long respawn is hell, when all you can do is stare at a screen useless, while the TTK & numerous sources of death (like spawning at a Sunderer that you can't know is being shelled, or an AI ESF flew over) that take not even a second..
    Which means everyone that wants to play the game, MUST BE PARANOID of engaging any enemy..
    As they have an entire minute after being killed in .3~ seconds of contact.
    • Up x 1
  13. TR5L4Y3R

that means nothing ..
  14. karlooo

Ok ok. I'll make a more detailed topic, laterrrrrr.
  15. Xebov

It will drop player numbers because noone wants to wait 50s for a respawn and you will no longer see any medics as they dont want to canstantly run back and forth. Its a terrible idea. If you have bad fps better save some money and buy a new pc or upgrade it.
  16. Doc Jim

Both forcing players to be dead for longer and limiting the reviving capacity of Medics are horrible ideas which would cause immeasurable frustration among players. A perfect recipe for killing the game.
  17. karlooo

I'll explain this again later, a bit more detailed (Don't reply to this anymore).
  18. Skraggz

No amount of explaining will make me WANT to stare at a death screen for almost a full minute, regardless of class changes, and/or weapon changes. I don't have time for that, and there are other games out there that will actually reward me..... for playing them, not just sitting and waiting. I get what you want to try and do, make death mean something, but staring at a screen is not the answer. (Don't care if you dont want a reply, more details will not change my answer).
  19. Lee Weldon

I gotta say it does feel a bit like a rugby game, when your teammate dies, then you pick him up, he passes you the ball, you pass it back to him, he gains 3 meters, he's just out from the try line, he shoots he scores!!! the nix(nc) are up 10 points. The OS resets the game back to the sunderer. The ball is kicked to the TR... you run at them. So fourth.