Implants have been reworked again

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Tuco

go back to WOW
  2. Hoki

Implants need to be held back for as long as is needed. They're too important to **** up, and atm I think they're very limited and lackluster.
  3. BeyondNInja

At this stage I agree that these are pretty much the only ones that are properly balanced.
    Not entirely discounting all the rest but there are some like 'awareness' and the flash/emp/concuss nade immunity that I don't see ever being anything less than a hard counter.

I'd actually prefer they have 5-8 implants rather than the huge amount that the're trying to go with anyway.
    That way we won't have as big an issue with half of them being useless and 3 of them used by everyone.
  4. starlinvf

Its the precedence they set with the cert system. The biggest flaw with the Cert/Unlock system is that your required obtain a certain number of attachments or class upgrades to reach competitive status, and are inherently less useful as a player until you've properly kitted out at least one class. Anything that doesn't conform with this overall model will break the premise of game balance of the existing system.

This particular situation could had been completely avoided if base line equipment for each class started at their max level, and most of the "leveling" complaints would be placated if core support equipment (like medigun and repair tool) were significantly cheaper to cert up completely. However, this situation was "allowed" to exist in order to support the Exp bonus provided by their Boost/Subscription business model. The main reason people had given this concept a pass was that a kitted class could potentially fuel upgrades to other classes, so you're not forced to use them at sub-optimal status to get them up to speed (like how battlefield does it).

However... the Implants directly conflict with this above model for 3 reasons.
    1. Certs are difficult to obtain without boosts. The rate at which you gain them overall is very slow in light of time and effort you put into getting them.
    2. It takes FAR too long to kit out multiple classes, even with boosts. The only saving grace on the matter is that these gains are permanent.
    3. You are now introducing a system which costs a difficult to obtain resource (certs) and is severely time limited. From the perception of freebie player, those certs are better spent continuing to upgrade your classes. But since the implants have a competitive advantage, and is unreasonable to obtain via certs, that means Implants have crossed the line for pay to win. The only argument now is how severe an impact will Implants have on game play?

The only alternative I can see with bringing the Implants back into conceptual balance is to have them as unlockables (cert or SC), and using nanites (from the new resource system) as a their power source.

TL;DR: They either have to change the consumable model of the implants to match the unlock system the game uses for everything else, or redesign the ENTIRE class/unlock system to properly accept a consumable equipment system.
    • Up x 1
  5. Winfield

Clear Vision OP.
  6. Ash87

I imagine this is what they meant by: "All implants are being reworked" considering it's Awareness and Clear vision that are making most people upset.

I'm not sure, I imagine that range finder would work in vehicles and on foot, and there are 1-2 others that would be pretty useful... that said I tend to agree, some vehicle only implants would be nice.

The consumable part with batteries doesn't bother me, but I saw this... and I'm not thrilled. Honestly, while crafting with a fixed system is easy to figure out, and makes unlocking a chore, making them totally random isn't something I would recommend either.

Maybe instead, they should go with the whole: Class specific thing, and as you kill classes, you get implants based on the classes you kill. Make it random which you get from that class, but still that means that if you want implants for your infil, you hunt infils a bit.

Honestly, I see range finders to be a 100 times more useful than a reduction of camera shake.

How often? All the time. Anytime you survive a 1v1 you will notice the biolab regeneration. What do you mean about not having disadvantages to begin with though, you lost me there.
  7. Nocturnal7x

This is hilarious. Batteries...Batteries. Wow. Just wow.

SOE you impress me again.