I'll say it. I think the reduction to MBT's primary velocity is a good thing.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gnometheft, Jun 14, 2014.

1. doombro

IMO, they should be trying to keep infantry out of a tank's LOS, not trying to keep tank rounds away from infantry's faces.
  2. iller

okay reasonable enough (but only b/c it still sounds like a big overall reduction to me ... had dalton shots pegged around 600m/s)
  3. Klypto

They are currently 250m/s
  4. EliteEskimo

If you're not convinced from several people with several hundred hours who have gained credibility for making sound posts in regards to tanks and the support they have from the community I'm going to chalk up your lack of understanding to the fact you don't tank that much. The likes my initial post got in response to your initial post were not because I made some off the wall or amusing statement, it was an accurate statement that people agreed with. What I stated will happen is not an opinion, it is what will happen. Tankers are not going to move in and get instagibbed by powerful infantry AV, no if this stupid change goes live it will be the equivalent of shelling with HE rounds. You point up higher and the shell takes longer to get there, but long range shelling will remain basically the same. Thus these changes only serve to make crappier more frustrating tank gameplay while simultaneously failing their intended purpose of forcing tanks to come closer. Logically speaking the velocity changes are not so much a gameplay changing balance patch for tanks as it is a blatant tank nerf. Pathetic.....
    • Up x 12
  5. gnometheft

What you don't understand is I'm not disagreeing that tanks are going to be less effective. I am saying this is a positive change for the rest of the game, a point you still have not bothered to respond to.

People speak up alot more often when they believe their style is going to be nerfed, than they speak up when it's not. Your holy grail of "likes" does not make your reply the word of truth, or even insinuate that you know more. The number of likes you have is attributed to a well worded and somewhat harsh reply, and exactly to the type of people I am targeting to this thread: Tankers upset about the velocity change. Your likes do not surprise or daunt me.

I have alot of respect for the veteran tankers such as klypto and yourself that are taking the time to reply here however.

I disagree with this entirely. Close range is not the infite black hole you are making it out to be. Tanks move into bases now. I have 72 days in game, I have seen, you have seen, spout your veteran tanker mumbo jumbo all you want, tanks can get close, they are doing it at some base right now as we speak. You cannot realistically say to me you never see tanks within 50m of an infantry. They have, can, and will continue to do so, ESPECIALLY when they are buffing them in that region with the maneuverability, and stabilization changes.

Yes, getting close sometimes can be hard, but you aren't supposed to be able to waltz into every base you want with your MBT, especially when the enemy puts time into setting up AV. However, with enough numbers, tanks ARE able to get close regardless of this.

Some tankers may prefer to stay back still, but now they will be less effective. In exchange they are a bit more durable in close quarters, and if they aren't then I suggest a buff to durability, but without a live test that is hard to judge. This is a trade off that I believe benefits the game far more than having tanks able to shell each other from hexes away.
  6. Scr1nRusher

I wish instant action was removed.

now THAT promotes not caring about logistics.
    • Up x 1
  7. Scr1nRusher

HE tank rounds exists.
  8. Sebastien

What the **** are you talking about.
    All the people saying this is a **** idea are the ones that pull tanks purely to fight tanks. I don't think they give a **** if HE velocity or HEAT velocity is nerfed.
    Infantry farming with AP is Secondary, because it's boring as **** and you get a better SPM blowing up vehicles.
    The problem you don't seem to understand is that nerfing AP will make it more difficult for tankers trying to blow up tanks. They don't give a **** about farming ******* spawnrooms, that is boring as ****.
    • Up x 3
  9. gnometheft

I am unable to interpret your response because of the asterisks. I assume you disagree. Ill try to respond to the part I can understand which I have snipped.

Believe it or not I understand that nerfs make it harder to kill things.

I have literally said that this is a direct detriment to tanks over 5 times by now. You can browse the thread for my responses.

I dont think that tanks having less range to blow up other tanks is going to detriment planetside's combined arms gameplay as a whole.
  10. Alarox

Tankers know what is good for tanks. We know what makes tanking fun. We know what needs to be changed.

It bothers me that you're saying "yes, do the exact opposite of what tankers want because I don't particularly like the way tanks work right now."

You don't even have a stake in the changes:
    [IMG]

---------------------

People are fine with changing OUR playstyle without even asking us what we think! Most of these changes are tank vs tank, meaning tankers are the only ones who really understand what they will do. I don't care if you're a developer or player... please stop.
    • Up x 5
  11. NinjaKirby

Even the original implementation of the "I Win Button" made such forays a risky endeavour in some situations.
    • Up x 1
  12. Mirco

I enjoy tanking at range. I enjoy getting in long range shots that makes things go boom. I`ll agree with first poster that the shoot, pull back, repair, go back to position and fire again is boring gameplay. What I experience is the problem though is that anti-vehicle ammo is to slow. Its to hard connecting the shots at range. Forcing me into going close will just make tank combat frustrating and I will definately have a feeling that my gun should perform better, as I do so allready. In short I just disagree that this is a change that will make this part of the game more interesting. For me it will do the opposite.

What I think will happen is that when tankers have to get close, we will have demands for tanks having more HP/armor and then one thing will happen. In big fights its going to be harder and harder to kill tanks when they group up because every tank will be able to take more damage and unless the other side is extremely displined at focus firing tank crews will be able to retreat and repair all over the place. Add impotent weapons to the mix and you`ll have a great big blob of HP/armor and no-one is ever going to get **** done.

I feel that the direction of this game is going more and more towards "we need more up in your face explosions, action, action, action, yea, no it needs to be right there, right up in your face. Like boom, BOOM RIGHT IN THE FACE!!!!". "What you mean range? Clusters is the word dude! Lets make biofarms OUTSIDE!!!".
    • Up x 4
  13. Arkenbrien

I'd hate to agree with that, but yes. This.
    • Up x 4
  14. Deathcapt

Any work about horizontal stabilization. only vertical stabilization was mentioned.
  15. Flag

There are safer and more efficient alternatives to using tanks for sundy-hunting.

That's before these nerfs go live.
    • Up x 1
  16. Klypto

There will be no horizontal stabilization. I can't imagine that being fare at all for the tables to turn entirely on the Magrider. They can't even get that as an option because of the fixed turret.

Wow Ouch

This thread was starting to piss me off though. People have their opinions and that's fine, but the OP's concept of tanks seems to be like they are all the same.
    • Up x 2
  17. Silkensmooth

Yeah i really don't get the idea behind buffing HE velocity.

Lets see, whats the number one cause of new players quitting? (Hint: it was the reason all 10 of the people i got to try the game quit.)

If you guess tanks with thermals and HE rounds you are right!

I don't even bother trying to get people to play this game now. I'd have to add in so many caveats.

Yeah its really fun, but there are tanks that will come and farm you when you are infantry with thermals and they can ohk you from a decent ways off, and you cant really do anything about it.

Yeah the flying is really fun except for the constant flak and lock-ons and A2A missiles and Coyotes.

Bio domes are cool, no vehicles, oh but yeah people will pull max suits and lame you with those.

If they would just get rid of the cheeze this game would be HUGE!
    • Up x 1
  18. Scr1nRusher

That strange moment when you realize That I could actually solve all of this if given the chance and the time, and greatly improve this game that we love.

really now, I know how to solve all of those damn problems that are plaguing the game.
  19. Mezinov

There are more than 900 types of cheese in the world friend; you will never get rid of all of it. Throw out the Swiss and a Muenster will take it's place.
    • Up x 1
  20. gnometheft

Liberator pilots pilot libs the most so only liberator pilots should decide balance and their mechanics. Does that seem right to you? Or might there be a chance of bias?