I'll say it. I think the reduction to MBT's primary velocity is a good thing.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gnometheft, Jun 14, 2014.

1. gnometheft

It all depends on numbers, there are many times and places where enough tanks will easily be able to push up. Bases do flip in planetside, and yes armor sometimes helps accomplish that. But again the point isn't about giving tanks an easier time, it's about bringing them into closer ranges, and making them more maneuverable in those ranges.

Can you post my time played in a tank? Iam unsure how to find it, but would be happy to show you the hours I've logged in a vanguard.
  2. FaLI3N

"tankers" are on average not very dirty. The higher-tier ones typically hunt other vehicles with flanking maneuvers.. you seem to be throwing us in with all the taxi-tanks that group up and shoot at spawn rooms, only stopping to line up near cover and trade shots with enemy tanks in the distance because they are shooting at them. We like to go around and disassemble those massive balls of armor.

Forcing tankers into closer range engagements is just going to make them pull more AI weapons to beat back all the whack-a-mole heavies and c4 fairies which will result in more infantry farm. I guarantee you that no infantry will want to be using a tank for cover when it can suddenly reverse at the same speeds as it does forwards..

These changes will be detrimental to tank-play as a whole.. there is almost nothing but nerfs to compensate for the ability to run over more friendlies and lower your FOV by sticking to first person view on the move rather than 3rd-person which most use at the moment.

As for your first comment.. yes I did realize that when we got nearly nothing but both direct and indirect nerfs since the game released. Tanks are hardly the dev's favored vehicle.. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 7
  3. Ranik

Then you are utterly blind or trolling and I'm done bumping your foolish thread.
    • Up x 2
  4. FaLI3N

According to the players site, not sure how accurate.. 52 hours and 17 minutes

For reference I have - 118h 5 min in magrider
    - 69 hours in lightning (giggidy)
    - 80 hours in prowler
    - 36 hours in vanguard
    • Up x 2
  5. gnometheft

Ha I only kid when I meant to say tankers were filthy, it's just nothing can replace my love of an infantryman in planetside.

You hit the nail on the head. ( Well besides the point that I don't think the reverse speed changes will stop engy's from repairs though, loosely related to infantry being scared of reversing tanks I think, but I digress).

These changes ARE detrimental to tankplay as a whole. But the gameplay that results from tanks being more wary of close range infantry, pulling more AI options, and tanks being encouraged to get close to bases like infantry, will result in a few gameplay changes that I do not think will detriment planetside at all, and might even make some of those fast paced maneuvering tank gameplays more exciting.

Thank you for posting those hours! You are indeed much more experienced in tanks than I!
  6. gnometheft

Thank you for ellaborating, twice is enough.
  7. Ranik

"By being more likely to die at any given moment and forcing yourself to sit in front of a firing squad, the game is more varied"

Do not feed the troll. Let the thread die.
    • Up x 5
  8. LT_Latency

I think we have to wait and see.

Being able to back up fast is HUGE. The number 1 reason my tank dies in close combat is because it backs up too slows. So you either can't escape or you have to try and turn around and eat everything in the rear.

I think this is more powerful then having your projectile slowed down a little.
  9. FaLI3N

.. I am wary of close range infantry. It is why I stay the hell away from them if at all possible :p Constant damage from rockets and insta-gibs from c4 all whilst making sure I don't run over mines and leaving myself room to run if I need to isn't my idea of exciting. I also know that I haven't seen a single post on the forums since its inception that details an infantry's pleasurable experience of being shelled by HE so they won't be finding it exciting either. Tanks just do not belong in close quarters, we take too much damage from infantry sources and run over too many friendlies.

Hunting enemy armor is exciting. Hunting infantry isn't.
    • Up x 3
  10. Scr1nRusher

This is true.

Yet SOE still keeps HE rounds for tanks in the game for some strange reason.

Rather then remove HE tank rounds and then allow MBT's to have bulldogs & fury's as secondary options.
  11. gnometheft

How many more bumps are you willing to give me then? *grins*
  12. gnometheft

I agree. But this is a combined-arms game. The vehicles, infantry, aircraft, everything has to be able to play in the same place, attack each other, and die in the same place. Every aspect must have proper gameplay mechanics versus the other.
  13. RemusVentanus

So the point is to give tanks a harder time? because that is what it will do. Why the heck would you even want to get close to a base crawling with infantry aiming their lockons on you? they will still hit you even with the "add maneuverability". All this will do is get you killed in a matter of seconds and looking at your resources and waiting till you can pull another MBT.

Maybe i'm just lacking the HE farming mentality as i hunt other vehicles with my tank and dont farm infantry with it. But all what will happen is tanks will just stay where they are now and compensate for the added gravity and lost velocity.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618040130369/vehicles should be 52 h and 17 m, at least with that char.
    • Up x 3
  14. Jeslis

See colored text.
    • Up x 2
  15. Scr1nRusher

I think the OP might be a undercover dev.

thats worrying.

Also that would explain why he thinks HE tank round should still exist in the game rather then be removed.
    • Up x 1
  16. gnometheft

Kind of. The point is to make tank vs tank game play closer to each other. That means a harder time for tanks because of infantry yes. However, with the maneuverability, stabilization and the HE velocity buffs, this will become slightly easier to deal with, if it's easy enough is another question that only live tests will prove.

Getting tanks into an area where they are able to be really affected by the friendly, or enemy infantry around them is the point. Getting close enough to bases so that tanks cant snipe each other from hexes upon hexes away, and instead become a more "front line" Anti Armor vehicle.

Thank you for posting those hours! I assume I do not have the hours to be a veteran tanker, but I consider myself average in experience and skill!
  17. FaLI3N

When I pull an AV loadout it is to participate in the combined arms game. I take out the tanks that are harassing my friendlies, the sunderers so that the infantry can push them out of the base and the skyguards so that air can move in and help out.
  18. gnometheft

I just hope a dev sees the thread. All too often, forumside is one giant bandwagon of people disagreeing with nerfs, but that is not everyone's inherit opinion. Although I am on the obviously unpopular side here, my opinion is just as valid and I'll fight for it word for word, even though I don't swear as much.

I'd be okay with HE getting removed. But I again support a combined arms gameplay, and I like that tanks are able to sacrifice Anti armor capabilities for Anti Infantry, and moreover see a point in it in a combined arms game.
  19. z1967

I don't think you understand. Tanks in this game are in no way built for close quarters. The only one that might do well in this scenario is the Vanguard and even that is iffy. Tanks are, quite simply, designed to hir trade at medium to long ranges (200m-500m). Close in and they get annihilated by any number of AV guns. It won't be fun when the already paper mache tanks have to deal with even more of their counters. Its just not a good thing for gameplay. Tanks in general are too fragile for close range, so sniping and hit trading at long ranges is the most logical type of combat.
    • Up x 6
  20. Scr1nRusher

taking care of infantry is the secondary gunners job(depending on weapon).

HE rounds make having a secondary gunner invalid and actually hurt the combined arms your want to see in gameplay.

As I said MANY MANY MANY times already.

SOE could remove Tank HE rounds, Then give MBT's Bulldogs & Fury's as secondary weapon options.

Aswell as allowing walkers & rangers to look downward.