[Suggestion] Ideas for improving the ESRL's.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Messaiga, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Posse

Yes, it would, without doubt, and you don't need the zoom to hit vehicles really.
  2. Messaiga

Maybe reduce the zoom levels available a little bit? But still why would people go after infantry if they don't do it already with the Lancer? Vehicles are much bigger rewards.
  3. Posse

A 2x could be, but nothing bigger than that, and people don't do it now because it's really hard (I sometimes get a few sniping kills though), put a 6x on it and it will be much easier, real snipers would be worthless if you make the lancer an effective sniper rifle.
    • Up x 1
  4. Messaiga

It really couldn't be an effective sniper rifle in comparison to the real thing, although it has a higher projectile velocity and no bullet drop, there is no headshot multiplier and no way to 1HKO somebody. If somebody is getting killed by a Lancer at long range, then either luck or they weren't moving. I think I am going to have to leave the zoom optics for Lancer as is, I just don't quite see how one could be doing as much killing against infantry with a rocket launcher that it would be OP, except for that one week in the ESRL's release where the Phoenix could 1HKO infantry all day every day. Also who would spend 300 certs to Max out zoom optics on an already bought Lancer just to end up with only 2x? Keep in mind I was trying to keep the total cert cost between all 3 as even as possible.
  5. Shiaari

What the Lancer needs more than anything is a means to abort a charged shot.
  6. Messaiga

You can abort a charged shot by switching to a different weapon while holding down the LMB.
    • Up x 1
  7. Shiaari

Thank you kindly!
  8. Posse

Sniper rifles don't OHK at long range if you have nanoweave certed anyway, besides, it would be quite easy to follow up a fully charged shot with a few non charged for a kill if you used a 6x scope. The problem with it is, as I said, that it would make infiltrators useless, at least for sniping roles.
  9. Messaiga

Maybe change the zoom certs from 2x, 4x, and 6x to 2x, 3x, and 4x.
  10. Posse

Could be, I'd have to see how 4x looks like though.
  11. Messaiga

There is my OP, updated again, I have changed a lot on the Lancer and the Phoenix's side.
    • Up x 1
  12. TheKhopesh

Whoops, messed up. Ignore this post.
  13. TheKhopesh

I like it.

However, I don't agree with the Phoenix losing all splash damage, as splash is useful for getting assists in bulk (Every so often - I will find myself raking in about 5-10 assists thanks to a tank's good flanking ability, a group of enemy engies huddled together in about a 1 foot radius frantically trying to save a sundy, and my lucky timing).

One thing I do want to see is the Lancer and Phoenix shots getting OHKs for Head shots. If you take a supercharged beam of energy or a rocket to the face, it should kill you... Always.
    (Obviously the Lancer should only get OHK head shots if it's a full charge).

Also, the phoenix could use a bit more speed (Perhaps a 4th speed boost rank at 250 certs?) so that it hits a max of 128 m/s with the boost (The max speed of a stock Galaxy flying level).

like this:

The Phoenix-Burner has 4 levels and when activated it increases the projectile velocity of the Phoenix by 24/49/73/87 meters per second, respective to the level of Phoenix-Burner you have certed. It would cost 50/100/150/250 certs respectively for levels 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The total cert cost for that tree would also be 550 certs (Making that last level nearly double the rest combined), rather than only 300.

Keep in mind, at that speed, this would be almost exclusively used for chasing down an easy target who's strayed further than they should before he evades you.

Even with still being able to turn at the same rate, going that fast would burn up 300 meters in 2.25 seconds, and 400 meters (If they did find a way to do 400 meters effectively) in 2.75 seconds.

Turning would be of little use.
    This would be more of a "I know he's going to try to run" thing.

Lastly, I like that Phoenix missiles can be shot down (It's VERY aggravating while piloting one! :mad: ).

Though it should be much more difficult, so that infantry is the most likely to land the shot. That or ONLY infantry weapons could shoot it down.
    It gives a much needed defense against the missiles for those who move slowest.

In addition though, it should only be shootable if the missile is manned.
    In dumb-fire mode, it should become just like any other RL shot.
  14. Messaiga

Originally the boost was supposed to be 36/72/108 meters per second for a boost, maybe that could work better? I changed it because I was trying to balance the whole dumbfire thing so the drop on the projectile would be similar to a dumbfire rocket. As for removing the ability to shoot it down, I feel like that unless they make it much harder to shoot down the projectile and also make it so that even if it gets hit it won't spin out of control until they land enough hits to destroy it. Also, thank you for posting those travel times, it is very helpful if I wish to calculate TTK at some point in the future.
  15. TheKhopesh

You're welcome.

Unfortunately I was incorrect about the speed of 128 m/sec.
    I was thinking 128 kph (The base Galaxy's max speed), where as we were talking meters per second.
    128 meters per second is 460.8 kph, and much faster than I had intended.

Sadly, I cannot correct my previous post, so I wanted to correct it here.

The missile speed is listed on the launcher info. where it says "Muzzle Velocity 42 m/sec " , in case you want to look it up yourself.

Personally, I feel that thanks to how few people like using this launcher (And how EXTREMELY rare it is that any of them get organized together -As that can be quite difficult at times-), I don't feel it will be necessary to inhibit it's downward control.

Also, that would severely hinder it's anti-air capabilities (possibly to the point of being just as useless as it is currently, or worse).
    You have to be able to correct for 3 dimensional aerial movement and the target's evasive action -they would certianly take advantage of the limited downward movement- at the last second (When evasion is best utilized, to allow for little-to-no time to react).
    Having limited movement after engaging the thrust to catch up with them is plenty limiting in itself, and anymore limitations would be overkill (In my personal opinion).

Using 3rd person view, a phoenix rocket would be quite easy to avoid, and the phoenix would be quite useless.

As a fun little feature, players should get Exactly 15 XP for shooting down a phoenix shot (Not a single XP more or less, no matter the local multiplier, XP boost, or subscription level) as a reference to the name "NC15 Phoenix". :)

(Note, due to how easy it is for someone to just grab a semi-auto sniper after seeing the first shot, nothing with a 6x scope or greater should be able to hit the rockets. Shooting them down should be more of a "Lucky you!" experience, than a hobby for the bored.)

One last feature I would like to see, is a record attached to the Phoenix in the weapon information stating how much time you have spent piloting Phoenix rockets (Preferably, not counting in the VR).

As well as a more prominent display of kills, shots fired, and shots hit (Perhaps vehicles destroyed as well?).

The NC15 Phoenix is a very unique weapon, and I am a HUGE fan of it.
    I would be quite happy to see it's use considered more along the lines of a weak, kamikaze ESF, than a launcher.

Every ESF has a record of how much it is used, and this would be a nice little way to show how much use you have gotten out of it in real combat.
    • Up x 1
  16. Messaiga

I am confused, when did I say something about reducing it's downward control? Are you talking about making it 25% less maneuverable when the Afterburner thing is activated? I already said the Phoenix should get 25% more maneuverability off the bat, so using the Phoenix burner would make it handle very similar to how it is now, just a bit faster.
  17. TheKhopesh

Oh, sorry.
    You didn't say reduce downward control, you said remove it entirely.

Your exact use was in bullet-point form, which I have copy/pasted below:
    • Remove the ability to shoot the Phoenix down.
    I SEVERELY disagree with this.

The NC15 Phoenix is intended for use on all enemy forces.

Including Ground Vehicles, Air Vehicles, Stationary Defenses (Phalanx turrets as well as Mana turrets), and infantry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like your ideas, and I would LOVE to see them made reality....
    ... all but the one removing Phoenix downward shooting.

That would kill all use against anything on the ground.

"Oh look, a phoenix user."

Ground Unit's reaction:

++++Edit++++

Had to change this post due to my not understanding what you meant by "Downward Shooting" until I had posted about my incorrect interpretation.
  18. Messaiga

Lol you are misunderstanding. I mean, the Phoenix rocket, can be shot down by the opponents. If you have ever used a Phoenix you would probably know this (I do not know if you have used one or not though). An enemy can actually shoot at the Phoenix and it will spin out of control and eventually either crash or just *poof*. I am saying remove the ability for an enemy to shoot a Phoenix down.
    • Up x 1
  19. Van Dax

getting rid of the pheonixes ability to be shot down would be fine, currently the pheonix projectiles don't render properly anyway so its never really been a proper disadvantage.
  20. Messaiga

I hear they may be fixing that in GU15. That said I think that it is an unnecessary mechanic at this point to allow the Phoenix to be shot down by an enemy. The only way I would be fine with it is if the Phoenix took as many bullets to kill as a regular infantry-person (1000 HP with no resists or multipliers) and if the Phoenix did not spin out of control as soon as 1 thing hits it.
    • Up x 1