[Suggestion] Ideas for improving the ESRL's.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Messaiga, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Messaiga

As we all know, the Striker is very prevalent when compared to every single other rocket launcher, including the ESRL's. I propose that since the ESF Update is changing the Striker's mechanics, along with every other Lock-Ons Mechanics, all 3 ESRL's get slightly revamped in different ways.

One form of buffs will be in the form of adding cert lines onto all 3 ESRL's that make them better at what they are already good at (For example, the Lancer will get a range-finder at the top-right corner of their screen when ADS'd with the Lancer that shows them how far away whatever they are pointing at is, so that they may lead a moving target easier). Another form of buffs would be in the form of directly improving the ESRL's through changing some mechanics of them.

Lancer VS22: The Lancer in it's current state is an excellent alternative to rocket launchers, but it doesn't seem to pack much of a punch when fully charged. In addition, for those who are not good about leading their target there is a maximum time they can hold a charge until you are forced to fire the Lancer. A few things I had in mind that could help make the Lancer a more useful option, especially at longer ranges, include the following:

• Add a range finder in the top right corner of the screen when you ADS with the Lancer, that shows how far away the thing you are pointing at is. This makes it easier for people to lead their target because they can estimate the travel time of the Lancer to the place they are pointing, allowing them to lead a moving target properly from longer ranges.
    • New Optics Attachment: Zoom Optics. Zoom Optics have 3 levels of zoom the Lancer can equip individually, those being 2x, 4x, and 6x. 2x zoom optics cost 50 certs, 4x zoom optics cost 100 certs, and 6x zoom optics cost 150 certs.
    • New Ammo Attachment: Overcharged Battery. The Overcharged Battery Attachment increases projectile speed by 25% at all charge levels, this means that a level 1 charge goes from 600 meters per second to 750 metes per second, a level 2 charge goes from 700 meters per second to 875 meters per second, and a level 3 charge goes from 800 meters per second to 1000 meters per second. Because the battery is overcharged and the plasma is moving faster than normal when it is released, it takes 5% longer to charge from level 1 to level 2 and 10% longer to charge from level 2 to level 3. This costs 100 certs.
    • Remove the limit you can hold a charge on the Lancer, and instead change it so as long as the user of the Lancer holds down the firing button they can hold the charge as long as they need to, this allows people to coordinate fire and gives people as much time as they need to lead a moving target at range accurately.
    • Increase damage per shot of the Lancer at all charge levels. Increase damage per shot of a level 1 charge from 150 to 250. Increase damage per shot of a level 2 charge from 375 to 600. Increase the damage per shot of a level 3 charge from 750 to 1000 (Yes I know that it can 1HKO infantry, but if somebody lines up a shot like that then they deserve it, and plus infantry can just use nanoweave like they do right now, it only costs 1 cert).
    NC15 Phoenix: The Phoenix suffers from different problems that make it ineffective in comparison to other rocket launchers, namely the fact that it has a somewhat short range, it's low amount of damage over time since it takes a long time to guide it and then reload. Like the Lancer, the Phoenix could also be buffed in the form of cert lines and direct buffs to it. I believe the following could solve many problems:
    • New Utility Attachment: Phoenix-Burner. The Phoenix-Burner has 3 levels and it increases the projectile velocity of the Phoenix by 36/72/108 meters per second, respective to the level of Phoenix-Burner you have certed. It would cost 50/100/250 certs respectively for levels 1, 2, and 3. You may equip whichever level of Phoenix-Burner you want as long as you have that particular level certed. The Phoenix-Burner is activated by pressing the Shift Key, but once you activate the Phoenix-Burner you cannot turn it off and it will remain on for the rest of the Phoenix's flight. When activated the Phoenix becomes 25% louder, glows 25% brighter, and has 25% less maneuverability due to the increased speed.
    • Increase the damage per shot of the Phoenix from 750 to 975, and remove all splash damage. This allows the Phoenix to deal more damage per shot to make up for the fact it cannot reload while being guided. The splash damage was removed so it may not 1HKO infantry.
    • Lower the reload speed from 5.2 seconds to 3.5 seconds. Once again, this is to increase sustained DPS while not making it over the top like it is when the game lags a lot, causing the Phoenix to reload during flight.
    • (An idea from Pikachu) Instead of the Phoenix relying on a fuel mechanic, allow it to keep flying as long as it is within a 300 meter radius of the user, and once it exits this radius the user will have a static screen that is the same as if it hit something and lasts just as long as it does when it hits something. In addition, once the Phoenix Rocket exits the radius, it will keep going as a dumbfire and will be affected by gravity, causing the rocket to start dropping as a normal dumbfire rocket would. If you have the Phoenix-Burner equipped it will automatically activate if you exit the Phoenix Rocket's camera (default keybinding is by pressing "E") or if the Phoenix Rocket leaves the 300 meter radius around the user.
    • Increase Maneuverability of the Phoenix Rocket by 50%. Increase the FOV of the Phoenix Camera by 50%.
    T2 Striker: The T2 Striker is already a fine rocket launcher, but I thought of something that could be done to make it a little better @ G2G since it will be nerfed for G2A in the upcoming ESF Update. (And it better be, cause it is annoying as hell, it doesn't matter what vehicle you are in but it will kill you!)
    • New cert line/Attachment: Enhanced Belt Speed. Enhanced Belt Speed increases the ROF of the Striker and instead of it being Semi-Automatic it becomes fully Automatic. Enhanced Belt Speed has 3 levels, increasing ROF by 10/20/30% and costing 50/100/250 certs respectively. You may only equip the highest level of Enhanced Belt Speed that you have equipped.
    Questions, comments, concerns? Let me know by discussing these ideas. Please be constructive in your feedback, and if you say something would make something OP then explain why, otherwise your post may just be treated as a troll post. I commend anybody who reads this whole semi-wall of text. :D
    • Up x 6
  2. Mxiter

Those weapons are already feared enouth on the battleground (more than others launchers, even the deci).
    The ideas are nice, but that would break completely the game balance.

Nice ideas. Range finder will increase the prediction (even if it isn't the main lancer issue) and the scope will certainly increase a lot the accuracy. (i already thought about scopes at the release if you remember it ;))

Get proportional factors, 25% speed upgrades should makes the charge time 25% longer.
    I don't think that projectile speed is the Lancer main issue anyway.

People will just holding the trigger all the time they carry the lancer and will makes the weapons viable even at close range. Each launcher should get them niche.
    -Lancer with 33% increased damages = 4000 damages/magazine and 2000damages/charge3 Shots (deci damages) because its damages are doubled against ground vehicles (2X coefficient).
    1) some people run with flak and gonna be instagibbed, they also buff the ammo belts and shields regen, that don't gives extra life.
    2)Too much damages even at charge 1 and 2: Too effective at close range, jack all trades weapons.
    Lancer conclusions
    It musn't be: you play vanu? play HA, get the lancer and kill/destroy everything. (Especially combined with your 3rd point that would makes it viable in CQC: charge3 shot + char 1 spamm = NW user instagibb) It already have its niche: it's already the best long range AV with a good aim: better DPS, no warnings and no counter.

It's fine in the way it is actually:
    -Long range: Lancer
    -Close range: Deci
    -Air: Nemesis (or lancer used in groups with good aim people)

Scopes could be nice anyway.

36/72/108 m/sec more means buffing the speed by 85%/170%/257% and would give to the phoenix respectiveley 30%/90%/150% faster projectile speed more than the decimator, with the sames damages: it's too much!
    People will just juse it as a quicker decimator: fire, press shift, pressE as fast you can.

Maybe a second fire-mode (swiched by pressing "B") that gives a better speed to the rocket, but during all the flight.
    That would helps to hitting far vehicles at long range ("less flight time" = more DPS) without/with few cover and by keeping enouth cover to use it safely but still rewards people that can put them vehicles (like sunderers) where phoenix needs all its maneuvrability to reach. You wouldn't be able to leave the pilot mode (by pressing E" when this mode is activated.

Phoenix with 2600damages/rockets because vehicles get 2.67 AV coefficient. (phoenix is AV type, like AV mana turret)
    OP : giving the same so much damages to a TV guided rocket is absurd.
    Increasing its reload time is increasing its DPS too.
    People will also using as the best CQC rocket launcher with the Fire+E combo, it will 2 shots MBT by the rear again.

Getting 50% more maneuvrability just means the rocket goes where you want, it means absolutely no cover for anything, no safe place for sunderer, damaged max vehicles at all. The actual maneuvrability is already pretty awsome.
    If you add it with maneuvrability buff, most of NC won't go out from the spawn at all and will just gonna "fly" in the phoenix rocket until they find a target.
    But, i''m okay with dumbfire over "300m flytime"(around 6-10 sec) like it does actually by pressing "E".

To conclude about the phoenix:
    -I would makes a 100% no vehicles 300m aera because of too much manoeuvrability and speed
    -It would makes it much better than decimator at close range (more damages, more speed, better reload) by keeping the phoenix annoyance (and efficiency ised in squads).
    But the fumbfire over 300m is a good idea and won't fustrate so much users when the target would be at 301m. ;)

The T2 Striker is already a fine rocket launcher, but I thought of something that could be done to make it a little better @ G2G since it will be nerfed for G2A in the upcoming ESF Update. (And it better be, cause it is annoying as hell, it doesn't matter what vehicle you are in but it will kill you!)
    • New cert line/Attachment: Enhanced Belt Speed. Enhanced Belt Speed increases the ROF of the Striker and instead of it being Semi-Automatic it becomes fully Automatic. Enhanced Belt Speed has 3 levels, increasing ROF by 10/20/30% and costing 50/100/250 certs respectively. You may only equip the highest level of Enhanced Belt Speed that you have equipped.
    [/quote]
    The stiker is actually overperforming because the rockets guidance is broken.
    This weapon is like an other lock-on with an higher damage burst, but slower reload and slower time to fire.

It needs some adjustments anyway:
    -It's guidance trajectory just needs to be fixed.
    -Shouldn't be fire and forget: at the release it was fire and forget for 3 sec only after you lost LOS, certainly to avoid to lose the lock by a tree branch, an infantry or a small obstacle on your LOS. (It's what i deducted after few tests, maybe i'm wrong) just makes it back to that state. Even with 2 sec instead of 3. I feel is actually fire and forget; maybe the same kind of bug than the rocket guidance? The time spended to keep LOS until all the rockets hits the target (minus auto the fire and forget time if you have balls) would reduce the ROF and slow the DPS.

To be automatic would makes it more comfortable to use without changin anything for others factions.

As you said, it will nerfed by the G2A update, the ROF increase could be nice to balance it as it wouldn't be so performing, especially if rockets guidance are fixed.

To conclude, all ESRL have them niche:
    Lancer for long range and MAX snipe.
    Phoenix to hit from cover and behind obstacles.
    Striker for being AV and AA.

I think that vehicles have already enouth trouble by infantry at close range with C4 (i wasn't in favor of the nerf)/AT mines/ Dumbfire RL.
    They're supposed to shine at medium/long range and actual ESRL and lock-ons are already a nice threat enouth at those range to being buffed.
  3. Hyllan

I can't speak on any of your balance implications, but I can tell you that the Striker is a pump action weapon - not semi-automatic.
  4. Mxiter

Automatic = hold the trigger until the mag is empty
    Semi-automatic = click to fire each rocket.
    But you would certainly means that it have the best dmage burst?:D
  5. Messaiga

So what do you suggest that could be changed from my ideas?

The afterburner thing as I mentioned in the OP on the Phoenix decreases maneuverability, it is activated by the user, but it cannot be turned off once activated. I am also aware of the 2.67 coefficient on the Phoenix and the 2x coefficient on the Lancer, I figured increasing the damage a little bit would keep them competitive with the Striker's damage per mag, maybe instead of 975 damage, 865 looks like it could fit better. (I am trying to focus the Phoenix to be similarly powerful to an AP Shell, but not to be useful at all against infantry). For the reload speed, 4 seconds might be better. The reason I thought of increasing the manuverability was to coincide with the whole radius around the user instead of fuel thing, maybe increase by a smaller number, 25% or 20% might fit better. Finally for the Afterburner thing, maybe it should only be able to be activated while the rocket is in your control, but it cannot be turned off and the Afterburner will stay on even if the user exits the rocket or exits the 300 meter radius as long as the Afterburner was activated before the user lost control of the rocket.

As for the Lancer, for the ammo attachment thingy, maybe make it increase projectile velocity by 15% instead of 25%, but increase charge time by 15% as well. Lol I just realized how bloated I made this whole thing. Anyway back to the Lancer maybe lower the damage increase values a bit? Maybe the damage values of the Lancer can be left alone given the amount of damage per clip it can has potential for. Still the ability to keep it charged as long as you hold the LMB would be balanced, since when you charge the Lancer you move as if you are ADS'd. Also I have used the Lancer on a VS Heavy (trialed), but I do not own it, sadly. :(

I hope I didn't come across as biased to one side, but I really wish I could edit my main post!

Also Mxiter, you do realize the devs said that C4 isn't getting nerfed right? Joshua said this already, I know cause I saw somebody quote it. Btw I already use the Phoenix against tanks like I would a Decimator against tanks if I am too close, except I do not use the Phoenix against infantry.
  6. Van Dax

All I want is a better scope, its all the lancer needs....
    well that and to fix the charge bugs.
  7. Messaiga

Yeah isn't there a bug where after you reload, no matter how long you charge the first shot of the next clip, it stays @ charge level 1? I really wish I could edit the OP, anyway at this point I don't think the Lancer needs damage buffs, maybe I will quote my OP and update it with what I think of it after discussing in this thread.
  8. Van Dax

The most common bug seems to be that the first shot you fire won't charge properly and instead only shoot off a level one shot. There are several other bugs it has though that are less common but worse such as if you die while charging it sometimes you become unable to ADS and you have to relog and sometimes it straight up refuses to fire.

For damage wishful thinking but I wouldn't mind if they halved the mag size and upped damage to compensate (only vs vehicles of course) but its not needed.
    • Up x 1
  9. Messaiga

My OP, but updated based on the discussion.
    • Up x 1
  10. Van Dax

I like it but my two cents: it would be technically possible to have a group of guys in the spawn fire out like 10 pheonixes and just have them circle around until they found a target and then afterburned in all at once. Hilarious but silly.
    The striker ROF cert line should come with a downside like most attachments do, could be that it lowers velocity (not two drastically but enough to say have two builds: one for long range without ROF and one for shorter ranges with ROF)
    • Up x 1
  11. Mxiter

It's a bad idea to get the Striker's damage/volley because what strikers does, 2 annhilator does, but no other weaponry can does what the lancer and the Lancer does.

Maybe instead of 975 damage, 865 looks like it could fit better. (I am trying to focus the Phoenix to be similarly powerful to an AP Shell, but not to be useful at all against infantry).[/quote]
    It means be able to 4 shot sunderers. also vanguard AP shells deals 2000 damages. Prowler deals 2400 if both shots land but have DPS as main trait.
    Maybe 5, to get the same reload speed than the lancer (the quickest launcher reload time) maybe, but 3 would mean destroying an MBT in 6 sec, it means the best MBT TTK (C4 and mines not included) for 0 ressources. It's too high imo. It's already the best AV launcher at CQC (same damages with shorter reload than Deci).
    My idea about the phoenix is to fires from cover manly, and after to be able to hit vehicles badly covered. It must be possible to get cover from phoenix if you take care of it. Increasing it maneuvrability too much would remove every "safe" spots to AMS.
    When you leave the "camera mode" the AB should stop immediately. You can still manage the shot by leading the drop.
    I don't thing this game needs high velocity decimator. AB also increase a lot the difficulty to hit the rocket (that is already very rare) wich is actually the once phoenix counter.

Ask to the lancer user, the projectiles velocity arn't an issue. Even by increasing the velocity by 25%, it would reach its taget @ 800m in 0.75 sec instead of 1 sec. That don't makes a real difference ;).

It have better DPS than the Hades (@ chages 3:same damages/shots, charge time ~= lock time, 2 shots/mag and quicker reload), no alerts, no counters, can hit farther and is an air deterrent, i think it's already a nice niche for a sidegrade.

You can actually hip to ADS while charging your shots. You just can't run.
    I hope not ;).
    I always tries to stays as much objective as possible, even if my main is TR, i plays the 3 factions.

I know, that's why i used the past (if not, i need to works again on my english)
    I do it also on my NC alt (i bought all ESRL thanks to the certs refunds). I just don't want to increase it's power and camera-mode efficiency for that reason: it's already a camera guided RL combined to a faster reload-slower velocity decimator that makes it very versatile. It explains why it is the second best launcher in kills and vehicles kills after the decimator.

Also keep in mind the sideback stuffs about weapons, it's nice to do suggestions, but stay in SOE way if you want to see it applied ;).

Sorry to be a bit critical, and not so constructive. :(
  12. Messaiga

Ok I understand that you are a bit critical, and I accept that. I did not realize it would cause the Phoenix to 4HKO Sunderers, but with 865 damage per shot on a 2.67x damage multiplier I think that could be acceptable, as although it would 4HKO Sunderers much akin to the AV Turret, it has that limit of 300 meters range and its only effective use is for Anti-Vehicle while killing the occasional hover spammer. But still, the reason I say make the Afterburner work while the rocket goes dumbfire as long as you activated it before you lost control is to reduce the drop of the projectile since it is extremely drastic already and if the target is moving then you will not him them 90% of the time.
    Maybe it could be done so the Afterburner would stay activated when the rocket goes dumbfire but only if it went dumbfire by exiting the 300 meter range. I actually like how the Phoenix has a shorter range of 300 meters as that is actually fair to both infantry and vehicle pilots because infantry still render within that range, so the only way you would be unable to fire back is if the person was smart enough to fire from cover. I understand the concern on increasing the maneuverability of the Phoenix but the real question is how much can it be improved without it being able to negate every type of cover? If only somebody knew that. :(

Also having the projectile speed ammo attachment on the Lancer would actually reduce the damage drop-off a little bit, so it could actually be more useful at range as long as they can deal with longer charge times. Btw the Phoenix already has a reload speed of 5.2 seconds so .2 seconds less is not much, maybe 4.5 seconds?
    • Up x 1
  13. Van Dax

Does the lancer still have damage dropoff?
    Huh if the ingame stats are to be believed it loses a third of its damage at 450m. I guess that could be why it feels like I'm tickling the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  14. Mxiter

Yes it had drop off, but they changed it's mechanics since the release. No idea at it's actual values and minimal damages at charge 3 (the one viable charge type at those range).
  15. Van Dax

Sigh I guess its time to test. BRB
    • Up x 2
  16. Van Dax

Ok testing it took my entire ammo supply of level three charges to the front of a magrider at 500m and ~60 seconds of burning to kill.

Point blank was one lvl 3 charge less than full ammo and about 20 seconds of burning
  17. Mxiter

I'll do other tests in 10hours @ max range if i can, the most important in knowing when te degradation starts and min damages at max range to knowing the curve.

I just need to sleep now.
  18. Messaiga

I've found from some old patch notes that the damage fall-off on the Lancer starts @ 500 meters and ends at 700 meters, I am not sure how much it drops off though.
  19. Posse

1) Sure, why not.

2) No way, it would be way too OP, in fact, it would make HAs effective infantry snipers.

3) This one is pretty good, in fact it's a good way to neutralize (at least a bit) the disadvantage the Lancer has vs the Striker in relation to the skill needed to use it effectively.

4) Higby pls.

5) Too OP, specially if you combined it with number 2.

1) It could be done

2) I think it might become OP with more damage (same as the lancer)

3) Same as above

4) Seems acceptable

5) Mmm, doesn't this neutralize the disadvantages of the burner? I'm not really convinced.

[/quote]

Only if having this attachment makes it slower to reload, if not, the DPS would be insane.
  20. Messaiga

Don't quote my OP please, quote the updated one I changed based on the discussion. Still if the Lancer did not get it's damage increased, but it got the zoom optics, would it still be an infantry sniper although it would be unable to 1HKO? If there is another problem(s) within the updated OP I can update that one, and so-on and so-forth.