Icarus jumpjets?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by OldMaster80, Jan 28, 2015.

1. z1967

Solution: Eat cookies!
    Problem with Solution: Law of Conservation of Mass :|
    • Up x 2
  2. Iridar51

Yeah, you try getting cookies from our cheap-*** quartermaster. He's gonna say "Light Assault? Cookies not allowed, can't have you getting fat" in a slow, boring voice without stopping reading Auraxium Inquirer.
    • Up x 4
  3. Reclaimer77

I rather have more strafing/lateral speed then vertical. What is this good for? Getting shot out of the sky?

If the Devs think they can nerf us against vehicles by making C4 useless, and placate us with some curiosity sidegrade crap, I'm not buying it.

*crosses arms and pouts*
    • Up x 1
  4. K2k4

:-o
  5. Batisat

The trick with Icarus is to not fully expend your jet fuel, it recharges way faster when you have some fuel left in your tank
  6. Iridar51

I haven't played with Icarus, but I assume their fuel indicator has the same issue as other Jet Packs on live. Simply said, it is inaccurate. I assume the reason for this is that sometimes the client and server get desynchronized, or because of the internet delay, the point is - sometimes you can fly even when the fuel meter shows zero, but then fuel takes longer to regenerate.

What I'm trying to say is - Jet Pack fuel indicator is broken, but there probably is no special treatment for Icarus, stating the fuel regenerates faster as long as you don't spend all of it.
  7. Sheeple

The problem with Icarus in its current form on test is that is doesn't do what it's designed to do better than regular jump jets, which is climb things.

It takes longer to do multi-jump climbing (a tower) with Icarus, than with Standard, or now DRIFTER jump jets.

The other problem with them is that they are terrible at stopping downward decent. If I jump off the top of a tower as a light assault, doing everything right, I shouldn't die when I hit the ground if I use my jumpjets.

The only use for these that I see is ground pounding between bases where the extra speed jumping up onto trees/boulders might prove to be an advantage, as well as tracking issues some people might have trying to keep up with the jump jet speed.

If I didn't have 10000 certs after every outfit OP and nothing useful to spend them on, I wouldn't waste it on these.
  8. Leivve

What did they do to drifters? They going to be good soon?
  9. Iridar51

You get a height boost if you spam spacebar. Drains fuel very quickly, though. There's a Wrel's video back from the time these changes got on PTS the first time:
  10. Kich

It's hold down space now without movement keys instead of spamming it.

Icarus needs more fuel/speed/recharge. Right now the standard jump jets beat it. I second the motion that it needs to be able to break falls too.
  11. Demigan

I think Icarus jumpjets will have their uses for some people, but I rarely get caught while trying to fly up or down. However perceptively slow the regular jumpjets are, they are fast enough to traverse the short distances of a roof before you get caught most of the time. I understand that there's people playing even more aggressively, but I think even then that it's usually better to engage people then try to get up a roof in a split second. Those few times the Icarus does offer that advantage are too few to make the loss of height and survivability when falling from heights worth it.

Drifters are getting an update as well... I would rather have had them work on new tools for the LA but it's OK I gues..
  12. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Drifter Jets are absolutely adorable now.
    Maybe even a bit too good.
    Icarus, in any case, are still good.
    They don't allow you to go somewhere you otherwise can't, but they allow you to get where you want to get fast.
    I personally didn't have issues breaking falls, either.
    Well, maybe very high falls might deplete it's fuel.
    It could certainly use 10% more fuel.