Icarus jumpjets?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by OldMaster80, Jan 28, 2015.

1. OldMaster80

I'm surprised no one is discussing the new Icarus Jumpjets. Well they're not really new as they were there during beta and they've been suddenly removed for no reason. Well... they are back.

• Up x 2
  2. Iridar51

Holy ****. Seems underwhelming, but nice to have options, and there is a place for such an option.
    • Up x 1
  3. Iridar51

I imagine most hunters will want to stick with Jump Jets, as they are the most versatile - they can do speed drifting and slingshot maneuvers, and they can get you to higher places. Drifters can only drift/slingshot, but they can do it for a really long time.

With Icarus we'll have vertical speed that allows to do quick position changes, which is the most useful quality the Jet Pack gives. We don't really want to spend a lot of time flying, as that makes us an easy target, so cutting down the air time, especially the vertical one, is a significant upgrade.

Importantly, Icarus would be the worst Jet Pack to try C4'ing vehicles with, though I imagine that won't be so important if tank buff goes live.
    • Up x 2
  4. z1967

I can see this jump pack working well in biolabs and synergizing well with shotguns. I tried it on PTS for some basic maneuvers and it seems like a higher risk/higher reward jetpack for LA. The fast movement speed is amazing, I will max it out on live if nothing changes/it gets buffed.
  5. Iridar51

How does vertical speed burst synergizes with shotguns? :confused:
  6. z1967

Drop in, unload a bunch of shots, fly out. Quick escapes are good for shotgun and hit-n-run players. Normal jetpacks often weren't fast enough for me, since scaling a 2 story building took around 4-5 seconds. Icarus jets do the same distance in one second. Its a pretty great improvement for certain play styles.

idk, I usually use shotguns for that playstyle because of the high DPS/low sustained. I could see the Lynx/Serpent/GD-7F being used in these situations as well.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jawarisin

awwwww no. The reason they were removed was hit detection was messed up. And now it's back :/ I might just switch to LA and abuse those if they didn't fix the bugs
  8. Iridar51

IDK, I feel like quick attacks are good for shotgun and hit'n'run. I don't really feel icarus jets are tied to a certain weapon, more like simply a style of movement.

From what I've seen from beta videos, old Icarus jets were much faster. Hit detection was messed up due to exceptional speed of the moving player. New Icarus jets are fast, but nowhere near fast enough to cause issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced ten new bugs, but this we don't have to worry about.
    • Up x 2
  9. Liewec123

they're ok, but so far from the PTS drifters are just better than everything! they make you move really fast, they last a ridiculously long time and you can fly sooooooo high with them (or stay at a height of your choise while you linger above a doorway for 30+ seconds.

i was able to run out of shotgun ammo and kill about 7 dummies before the drifters ran out lol (zipping around and staying higher than people will usually be aiming.)

also Safe fall implant is almost mandatory for icarus jets, i can see them being great for pushing forwards and staying hard to shoot, but you'll die alot to fall damage.
  10. Leivve

I would use them to bunny hop, jump over bullets, fall down, shoot the guy, when he crosshair reacquires me hop again.
  11. OldMaster80

As far as I can remember the original Icarus was faster and more powerful: you could reachthe biolab landing pad jumping from the ground.
  12. CuteBeaver

Yay finally something new for LAs! Now you guys just need to get a fancy tool. I like how everyone now has like 3 options more or less when it comes to ability. Except maybe medics... but like heal, and bubble shields pretty good. I cant imagine what else they could give them. Maybe an I R lazy please heal yourself with this medi pack deploy-able while i shoot things...

Anyway... Grasshopper Jets go!
  13. Leivve

I thought that is what the bubble already was.
  14. Iridar51

Regenerating shields is a completely different function to healing.
  15. CuteBeaver

So I just tested my little parkour route for my next video with Icarus instead of using my feet. Absolutely freaking adore the new Icarus jets. However I might switch it up to use some medkits and safe landing once this goes live. I found I drained my fuel more easily. If only LA had a different ability key instead of holding down jump... it really messed up normal jumping. Honestly if they did it would be enough to get me to come over to the dark side. Fantastic mobility.
    • Up x 1
  16. Iridar51

LA are not dark side! We don't even have cookies. Too much weight they said.
    • Up x 1
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

My impressions of the Icarus on PTS is that where they are now at max rank is good for the thrust, but I think it would be interesting if additional ranks recharged them fast so at max rank they would be fully recharged from zero in 3-4 seconds. It would be a good "other side of the coin" to drifter jets Icarus ones would be mostly for quick vertical jumps.

That way Drifters are mostly for horizontal movement but they last a very long time, Icarus are for quick vertical jumps but recharge the fastest of any of our jets, and the standard Jump Jet is the midrange between the two.
    • Up x 1
  18. Leivve

You have an increased ability to eat bullets = healing

Call it what you want, you have a 1000 health bar divided in equal halves with one half having the ability to regenerate over time. What you call it doesn't matter; hence why some people say repair a tank, and other say heal a tank.
  19. FuryM4

Wait, as in they just re added them??
  20. Kich

Tried them out on test. They need more fuel or way faster recharge to be good.