i5 2500k @4.5Ghz, GTX680, 8GB RAM

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zha1tan, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Exchequer

Actually the FX 8350 is a really bad gaming cpu....

Checkout the games at the bottem of the comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=702

@topic starter
    Upgrading a 2500k? To what? You will not gain much....
  2. Noollab

First off, just how bad is your "poor performance"?
    Secondly, and this is going to sound strange, but try changing your settings to Ultra settings.
    Some people report an increase in performance by doing so, because it supposedly changes a lot of the graphical power from your CPU to your GPU.

Here's how to do it:
    Open the UserOptions.ini file in the main PlanetSide 2 directory. (Back this file up before editing it)
    Find the [Rendering] section.
    Replace everything in this section by:

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    TerrainLOD=5
    FloralDistanceScale=2.000000
    ShadowQuality=3
    RenderDistance=999999.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=120
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=5
    EffectsQuality=5
    TerrainQuality=5
    FloraQuality=5
    ModelQuality=5
    MotionBlurQuality=5
    BlurQuality=5
    AOQuality=5
    AmbientOcclusionQuality=5
    ParticleQuality=5
    VerticalFOV=61
    FloralLOD=5
    EffectsLOD=5
    ParticleLOD=5
    ParticleDistanceScale=2.000000
    EffectsDistanceScale=2.000000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    MotionBlur=1
    VSync=0
    AO=1
    GpuPhysics=0

Also, in-game, hit Alt-F, to get an FPS counter in the lower left. This should also show you whether your CPU or GPU is doing the most work, currently.
    • Up x 1
  3. TimeyWimey

4. Exchequer

Ultra? The highest my game wants to go is high :S. Are you sure?
  5. Noollab

You can't do it in-game. As I said, you have to do it manually by editing the UserOptions.ini config file. :>
  6. Exchequer

Did anyone verify it works... It has been noted before that changing texture to 0 makes it better not worse(so the performance fps guide is wrong because it sets it on max).

Engine seems modular (e.g. first time you start game it does not have map and voip settings, vertifcal invert gets ADDED). Unexisting 5 setting could be initiated by the engine as default... Default could be ranging from 0-4.
  7. Irathi

Unless you plan to use it for other things than gaming it would be an utter waste of money. The only advantage the 3770K has over the 3570K is twice the amount of threads, which hardly helps in modern games. The games are just not able to actually utilize more threads.

Another thing to note is that the 2600K in this case score within 0-8% of a 3770K in most tests. So before you do anything else, try to OC your current CPU to the same settings as a 2600K.

Source:
    BF3 - 3770K - http://techreport.com/review/22835/review-intel-core-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-processor/9 - almost no difference in regards of CPU because it is GPU bound.
    Civ V - 3770K - http://techreport.com/review/22835/review-intel-core-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-processor/11 - look at the "no render" results for a CPU bound case.

Im afraid throwing more cores/threads at PS2 will not help solve the problem as long as you have a decent 4 core cpu already.
  8. Noollab

I haven't done any actual testing yet, but with my settings on the above, the game is looking really nice, and I very rarely see my FPS drop below 40. And that's on a 670 card.
    However, several people from my Outfit have all reported better performance from this change.
  9. SGT Ace

Enough with all that ********!

I run my phenom I x4 with gt 430 at 15 - 30 fps (with some random drops but in battles min is 10). I'm fed with all that ******** "yay I got super cool CPU and I run bf3 like a 100 fps and my eyes do see all that **** I want this in my ps2 plz dun't caru about dat 2k players"

You guys srsly? Take what you got.
  10. Zha1tan

Alot of hormones getting released above me particulary estrogen^ lol

But in terms of performance the game runs fine for me on ultra, seems to be the same case for everyone because when I turn the graphics down to low even then in big battles the fps drops pretty bad.

Just seems to be the number of things on screen because otherwise it runs like a dream on ultra for me.
  11. botosan

i guess it whines about my cpu also, i think.......is that what it means when [CPU] is next to the fps?
  12. JonboyX

Worst I get is 40fps and I have an i5-2500k (4.7) and a GTX570 @ 1920x

I've turned off motion blur (seriously... does anyone actually like that? Makes me feel motion sick) and fog shadow is off, but everything else is turned up to max.

Personally, I think it's an amazing achievement to have a processor calculate movement and shots of 300 players forty times a second. That said, you might want to try the latest NVidia BETA drivers that have an optimisation specific to PS2.
  13. Mightywoosh

On a 3.3 ghz I3 here and so far so good around Warp gate, been in some medium battles but yet to hit massive. I think its like the old days when you use to get some games performing worse on medium to high/ high rigs where as middle of the road rigs seemed okay :)

It might me worth dropping you frequency down for the sure hell of it and see if theres some odd timing issue
  14. PinkRibbonScars

I'm using an i5-2500k (with HD5850CF) and I'm noticing some pretty low frames during large battles. 20-30fps.
  15. LuckyImperial

Really bad would imply that I would get >24fps in Planetside 2 and I know for a fact that this CPU does much better than that (based on other reviews).

I also know that it would be a significant upgrade from my current processor. And would also allow me to do a little bit of easy overclocking (since it's unlocked).
  16. Rean

those 2 options are the same. were you wild-guessing the hidden options? since i dont have them in my ini.
  17. Noollab

Heh, yeah, seems like they're one and the same. I just copy-pasted off a post in my Outfit's forums though -- I'm not sure how they found out about those settings.
  18. stanmart

I got an I7, 12 gigs of ram ddr3, gtx 680 and an intel ssd drive.

im getting 100 plus by myself, 40 to 60 light battles, 30 to 40 larger fight.

its the game bro. its a hog. awesome game but a resource hog.