I Use AI Weapons To Kill Mass Infantry, Am I A Farmer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zombielores, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKhopesh

He actually mains NC, but as long as he has a VS alt, that advice is still perfectly valid.
  2. Juunro

I actually disagree. The purpose of a tank is the interception of enemy vehicle logistics and protecting your own logistics from enemy armor.

At least, that's how I play it. I don't really care if I go 20 minutes without a kill if it means my 2/2 AP stealthed Vanguard is there hull down near a friendly AMS to surprise, engage, and obliterate a PPA mag or an HE Prowler that thinks getting his farm on is a good idea.

Tactics up in this mother.

As for farming: Are you blitzing a spawn room with spammy, anti infantry weapons? Then you are farming. It may be in order to win an objective, but it is still farming. And everyone is guilty of it. I got a truly ridiculous amount of kills on the pre-nerf Viper by just setting up in silly places and shelling the ever loving hell out of choke points. Also getting up on that mountain south of the biolab in eastern Indar and hurling them through the pad doorway into VS defenders this one time; had an ammo sundy with me, managed to rack up a 217 killstreak while there were VS (pre Emerald, this was on Waterson) screaming in yell chat about how the hell a tank was killing them in a biolab.

I am not afraid to admit, I was totally farming.
  3. Brenold

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

spawncamping is not farming.
    unless you like to farm in the middle of the Sahara Desert.
    Spawncamping/ghost capping is basically collecting certs from the base cap, and from little else.

Farming is when the freaking faction decides to keep a biolab fight going for 24 hours. That biolab becomes a purple spot deep inside a sea of blue/red on the map, almost 4 hexes to the next connection but still the never ending defense of a biolab goes on

Farming is when you let the attackers keep their sundy so they can keep redeploying and running back to be slaughtered.
    I've seen a squad keep the attackers busy while another squad went ahead and back capped the base the attackers came from.
    By the time the attackers sundy was destroyed the frontline was already two hexes down.

Farming is when you take a 48 platoon to an amp station but dont bother assigning points or focusing on selected objectives together and instead you have the vertical and horizontal shield gen alternately being destroyed and repaired for 3 hours.
    • Up x 1
  4. Niamar

If you complain because I kill the enemy sunderer, "in toy story speak" You... Are... A..FARMER!
  5. Alarox

What if I farm Sunderers themselves rather than the infantry that comes out of them?
  6. Pardus

My two cents? If you pay attention to the kill count at all, you're probably a farmer.

Why?

What's a farming doing? Padding their kill count to get certs. What are you when you let your kill count be a factor in what you or don't do? By design or accident farming. At least close enough to farming the difference is academic only.

If your doing something because it needs to be done, come hell, high water, crying, trolling, or the general voice your probably not farming. Spawn camping is a tactically sound thing to do as it keep any and all opposition neatly boxed in a kill zone while you go about your work. It just happens to be what farmers do anyway.
  7. ColonelChingles

And this is why your tank is impervious to infantry small arms, but not enemy armor rounds. :p

The original purpose of the tank was to break through infantry defensive positions in WWI and kill infantry with less risk of being killed by them. We know this because there were not many tank v. tank battles (I think only one major engagement happened in WWI), and many tanks were only equipped with anti-infantry weapons anyhow (the "female" models).

Tanks mercilessly killing infantry is perfectly fine. That is the job of tanks after all.
    • Up x 1
  8. Juunro

This is farming: I wasn't even slightly trying to push up, I was bombarding the ever living hell out of spawn room windows. At one point I got a fifteen kill multi-kill with the Viper as the spawn room shields went down at an Amp station because all the Vanu Spawn Warriors were piled up against it. And this was tonight: post nerf Viper.

[IMG]
  9. Flashtirade

Arbitrary limits of what weapons can and can't be used to kill infantry are as silly as the skyknight rules of A2A.
    • Up x 2
  10. JustBoo

This is a bit ironic for me. When I get pulled into the 'Lust for Certs' game and only focus on that, I get tense and find I have far less fun and actually get less certs. When I go with the flow of the game, just have fun and happen to look down at my count I am usually surprised at how many certs I've just earned.

Who can deny this game currently encourages farming and spawn killing. You take a base. While waiting for the timer to count down, everyone goes to the spawn rooms and blasts a door or window in hopes of catching someones elbow sticking out. If everyone left the base it would be taken back of course. So everyone waits.

Personally I've been moving on to the next objective right away and not waiting for the timer. The reason is given above, I want to have fun. Not sit and blast a window and wait. Others seem to enjoy that.
  11. Shockwave44

So like shooting tanks outside of render range with AV rockets and not having to worry about retaliation...
  12. Zazulio

I don't not care what a farmer is or if I'm one of them, as long as I'm having fun. I spawn, I get on my Flash, and I kill as many things as I can before my luck runs out. I mean, I'm in or behind the front lines, constantly moving, and mowing down anybody who I catch out in the open trying to move forward. I do pretty darn well at it, too, so I think I'm being pretty useful, but if you disagree, I do not give a ****.
  13. Calisai

Mmmm.... the sweet sweet nectar of Sundy Certs. Followed closely by the semi-sweet nectar of Lightning Certs.

As to the OP:

My definition of farming (of which I subscribe to) is playing in such a fashion as to maximize profits. Whether those profits are kills, certs, directives, XP, etc).

You can Farm knife kills by stalking around sniper's hills.... You can farm tank kills by using an 2/2 MBT and staying just out of visible range at Octagon as a bad Platoon chain pulls lightnings. You can farm infantry (as infantry) by defending a biolab all day killing those guys pushing in from the pads. You can farm Sunderers by pulling a Valk and drop killing them constantly.

Yes, farmers can help with the objectives by wiping out the logistics of the enemy, but that's not their sole purpose. Its a byproduct of being good at it. Just like those playing the objective can farm infantry... but they are really not farmers.

Farming has little to do with what weapons you use... its the act of letting a certain battle continue, despite other gameplay objectives being needed to be done. I personally don't find capping a base all that entertaining... I do it every once and awhile and focus on it during Ops night, but otherwise... I prefer the relaxing time of killing without purpose other than killing.
  14. Zazulio

15. John_Aitc

For me, I feel that the gray area of farming is using a weapon like the old ZOE Max, Mag PPA, old Vulcan Harasser, or the Mossie Banshee that clearly needs to be be adjusted by SOE.

I think a farming could be using those types of weapons in a way that does not support your Faction's objective. If you are an NC pilot that flies to a TR versus VS fight just so you can lolpod both faction's spawns, that is a definite farmer with no gray area.
  16. FBVanu

Oh good grief..

THERE IS NOOOO SUCH THING AS FARMING..

Veterans do not get farmed....

The objective is to capture the base.. ergo, i need to kill every enemy near the base, in the base, or spawning in that base....
    until there are no more enemies. until they stop spawning, until they give up, until we cap the base....

I have to keep shooting at where the enemy is.. if they decide to come out of the spawn room, like silly little rabbits.. I will kill those rabbits until they stop coming out.. that's the game..
    If anyone complaints that you are a farmer, or that they are getting farmed.. they need to learn not to get farmed.. spawn at another base.. etc..

don't worry about it when someone uses the term 'farming'.. Contribute to your faction, get the base, kill all enemies, as effectively and as efficiently as possible..

Carry on.
  17. DG-MOD-20

If you'd like to be able to have discussions on these forums, you'll have to do so constructively and without making personal attacks.

I'm locking this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.