I thought lock continent would be a good thing!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silkensmooth, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silkensmooth

Am I the only one who hates this mechanic?

I wouldn't mind it if Indar wasnt the only good continent.

Tonight my friend called me and asked if i wanted to do some tanking. Thats normally what we do together becuase he doesnt like flying.

So we log in and Indar and Esamir are locked.

So we got a tank on Hossin. Factoring polynomials is more enjoyable than driving a tank on either Amerish or Hossin.

I hate all 3 of the other continents.

Does anyone else hate not being able to play where they want to?
    • Up x 23
  2. Goden

Agreed. I would be totally fine with locking if I liked the other continents - but I don't. Well, Esamir is OK at best.

Indar is the biggest, allows for the most combined playstyles, and is easier to get around on. Being locked out of it is a huge kick in the pants.
    • Up x 4
  3. NCDaniel

Vanu is minutes away from locking Amerish. In the words of the late Bernie Mac, "That's bul*****."
    • Up x 2
  4. Jeroam

Amerish is still a good tank map. Stop whining like a little girl
    • Up x 27
  5. Goden

Are you 12?
    • Up x 13
  6. NinjaTurtle

This is the best thing in the world. Having all the zombies fight on Indar every night for 18 months is so lame

Amerish and Hossin are by far the best maps in the game, the base designs are superior to everything in Indar. Esamir is ok.

I've hated not being able to play on Amerish for the last 18 months because chasing round a couple of players here and there is not fun. Now the zombie zerg is forced to play somewhere else is awesome.

Adapt
    • Up x 44
  7. Goden

Have you ever considered that maybe the reason the "Zombie zerg" likes playing on Indar is beacuse... I don't know, they enjoy it? Do you think forcing them to play in places they don't like will be healthy in the long run?
    • Up x 12
  8. PKfire

Continent locking is one of the better changes/additions to happen in Planetside. Just because you dislike other continents doesn't mean the change is bad, many players enjoys the other continents and it's great that populations have to shift locations after achieving an actual concrete victory (which didn't exist before) with truely beneficial rewards.

If you would like to play the same map over and over I could recommend you several games that will allow you to do so, but there is a great deal of beautiful content in this game and it's a shame having to experience it puts you out.
    • Up x 21
  9. Inex

You're in luck, it isn't!
    • Up x 36
  10. PKfire

I think a majority of players gravitate to Indar because of the pre-existing battles (whether they enjoy Indar or not) and the problem just perpetuated itself. The one strength of Indar that could be seen as part of the source issue was it was a landmass that had several environments within itself.

However, fear not, locking isn't permenant and I can guarantee you that conquering Indar will take quite some time. Take a deep breath and enjoy the other vistas while you are "forced" to do so.
    • Up x 15
  11. Cyridius

The continent locking in this game is an ineffective and bastardized version of what PS1 did.

A step forward, but not enough.
    • Up x 7
  12. Goden

The issue really doesn't stem from Indar the issue stems from the fact that most servers do not have enough population to keep more than 1 continent alive. When the playerbase was at a healthier level we were able to keep at least 2 continents full enough to trigger the queue as it was 33/33/33 on both continents. This doesn't happen anymore. Indar is the one continent which can comfortably fit everyone and their playstyles so it's naturally the place the remaining people go.
    • Up x 1
  13. Silkensmooth

Yeah Indar is lame. amerish is so much better. Thats why when given the choice, few choose to play on Amerish.

Makes perfect sense on opposites day.
    • Up x 3
  14. Silkensmooth

I disagree. And not just because im a contrarian, but because i have evidence that would say otherwise.

Alerts.

In the beginning everyone would go to the alert. Didn't matter what continent it was on. But as soon as the alert was over what did they do?

Head back to indar because it is the only good continent.

I play on Connery and there are always fights on the other continents.

It just seems odd, knowing that people dont like the other continents for the most part, and making one that has all of the attributes that people dont like about the others and in more abundance.

It seems odd that because you cant create more than one good continent that you would FORCE people to play on them.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.
    • Up x 7
  15. PKfire

I don't understand you then. If you find the problem was that there weren't enough players on the other continents, what has changed? Everyone is just on a different map.
    • Up x 2
  16. minhalexus

Here's the thing.

New players come in, they see everyone on Indar so they go to Indar.
    They start learning the base design in Indar.
    Soon they know all of Indar, and love it if their faction has the nothern warpgate.

So they become Indar fans and stay on Indar.

I personally only play Indar because:-

1) I don't know Esamir, Amerish and Hossin as well as I know Indar
    2) Most people are fighting on Indar (most of them for the same reason I am)

Indarside needs to stop. Continent locking is a good feature that reduces ghost-capping, and Indarside.

It's very common to see one faction on Indar while one faction on the "Alert Continent"
    If Indar is stopping these people from doing the Alert (AKA ghost capping), then Indar locking is for the good.
    • Up x 19
  17. GraymyJamas

how does it reduce ghost capping ??? just today I spent half an hour running around trying to fight a decent fight and all I found were lone guys ghost capping some god deserted bases on hossin
    • Up x 2
  18. minhalexus

It reduces ghost capping cuz:-

1) Alert wins are now more rewarding.

Formally when an alert happened, I usually saw the "best faction" of that server to hop on to the alert continent, while the "worse factions" fought on Indar. Simple responses were that alerts are not fun, and there is not point in winning an alert. (you only get 40 certs at max) So now that Alerts gives you more rewards, more people will move to the Alert continent.

2) Packs the players into lesser continents

Common sense, if you have 2000 players divided in 4 continents will make it 500 players per continent. Lock two continents and you have 1000 players per continent. Since continent size is limited, the denser continent has lesser chances of ghost-capping.
    • Up x 2
  19. Kanil

You are not playing Planetside, you are playing Indarside. Planetside fundamentally involves playing upon multiple continents. If you cannot accept that, then this game is not for you.
    • Up x 19
  20. Flag

Indar the only good continent? No.

Only good -TANK- continent? That's a different matter and I'm leaning towards 'Yes'.
    • Up x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.