I hate this crossbow and cloak

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by gh05t, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gh05t

Crossbow should have been made for infiltrator only.

it should have 1 hit kill head shot in the 30m minimum range.

I have to complain because I've had multiple moments using Stalker Cloak where I've got a good head shot on an enemy and they've just turned around and shot me dead.

Just really angry right now having got up to an engineer sitting at his turret, put an arrow in his head then boom, he sprays me with his 800+ rpm carbine

You can say "well use your knife" but guess what? i don't want to use my knife if i have what should be a 1 shot kill, this weapon has a damage range close to that of a bolt action rifle, yet has to reduce to a point so other classes can use it?

Why use a crossbow over the bolt action rifles TSAR-42, SAS-R and Ghost? you can attach a suppressor, get a 1 hit kill, and a much greater ammo pool and a side arm as back up?

In fact this Stalker Cloak, how many certs does it take before you can move some distance without having to sit and wait for ages to recharge? you're a stalker, but it should be called Dumper Cloak, because you spend your time crouching like you're taking a dump.

I currently have rank 3, but i wonder if it's worth another 500 then 1000 certs to even find out if it gets any better.
    • Up x 10
  2. Rigsta

I understand that you've found the crossbow to be none too effective combined with the stalker cloak. You and I share this opinion in fact, though I didn't bother buying the thing after testing it in VR.

What I don't understand is why you complain about it on the forum instead of just taking a different pistol. I suggest the emperor, it's a solid all-rounder for the TR and will serve you well. The crossbow doesn't need any more power imo, as it occupies the secondary slot.

Test the stalker cloak in VR to get an idea of its best possible cloak time and recharge speed. In fact, test everything in VR before unlocking it. If it's not what you want, don't unlock it.
    • Up x 6
  3. Benevon

Not using your knife because you don't feel like you should have to? Sounds like a childish response but whatever floats your boat.

If you hate the combo so much, go back to a BASR and hunter cloak. Stalker Cloak is clearly not meant to be very mobile since you can perma cloak when not moving. It's a camper cloak.

I've been playing with it and the crossbow a bit and, again, it's good for camping. That's about it. If I actually want to participate in a battle I'll switch to my scout rifle/SMG with Hunter Cloak to stay on the move.
    • Up x 3
  4. LibertyRevolution

I'm sorry, did you just complain that your easy mode playstyle is not easy enough?

You want to have permanent cloak and OHK anyone within 30m, well snap, can I has BASR for my light assault then..:rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  5. Lakora

Along with a jetpack that refuels midair if we don't use movement keys. (Excluding spacebar obviously)
  6. gh05t

if you use stalker cloak then the bow becomes a primary bolt action weapon. and all other bolt weapon will kill in a headshot, that is the complaint here.

i complain because, this is supposed to be an update for infiltrators. Instead they're giving away the weapon that should have best accompanied the Stalker Cloak to every tom, dick and harry.

I have seen more infiltrators using pistols too, you're right they are better. I even got the attachments for my repeater pistol and it's been more fun with the Stalker Cloak.

But why are they using pistols? the stalker removing your primary surely was to address a combo of stalker + long range snipers, and make the crossbow the primary weapon for it.

imagine if they release the new Vanu rifle with infinite ammo and stalker cloak? they couldn't.
  7. Xien

Here's a really powerful cloak, balanced by not being able to use your primary weapon.

Here's a new secondary weapon that's as powerful as a primary weapon.
    • Up x 1
  8. Tentakewls

Really? I'm pretty sure the removal would be to avoid combo of stalker + short range BASR/SMGs, which is what you want...so no. If you dont see a problem with a perma-invisible Infiltrator that can OHK people, you obviously don't understand much about gaming.
    • Up x 3
  9. cruczi

Why should it be able to OHK? It's a secondary weapon. Wrap your head around that.

I dunno. Infiltrators already have their class-specific weapon, sniper rifles. It would be a bit too much to have two class specific weapon types. Light assaults don't even have one unique weapon.

Stalker is useless for long range sniping. It's meant for staying undetected in plain sight, not 200m away on a hill or rooftop.
    • Up x 1
  10. Lakora

Funny thing here being that is purely speculation. People have been wanting a cloak similar to the PS1 version which didn't allow you to use a primary weapon (from what I've been told never played it myself sadly)

So unless you got an actual dev claiming the crossbow was meant as a primary weapon that is complete speculation and nothing else.

Now the crossbow itself... Stick a x6 times scope on it n pretend it's a semi-bolt-action rifle n yes I just made that up. But honestly, if it makes you happy I'd rather they lowered the damage n just made it semi-auto then make it Infil only. Yes I play Light Assault, Yes I use it for the detect bolt n no they're not overpowered, since they only last 10s with about 25m radius.
    • Up x 1
  11. Souleater

I have the opposite experience to the OP. I have fun with the Stalker and X-Bow.

I just unlocked the crossbow and spent a few minutes sitting behind a tree shooting TR in the back of the head as they ran past my hiding place down a hill.

The weapon is okay for close range sniping...say up to 40m. The weapon can be tricky to use, and is cumbersome in CQB. I wasn't running Ammo Belt so ended up running out of ammo. When I got down to my last clip I simply ran around the tree to kill one enemy sniper and a medic before being gunned down by an SMG toting TR INF.

I don't think the crossbow was nerfed because it can be taken by other classes. Rather, I think it is to do with the time INFs had shotguns back in Beta Testing. This was rightly considered OP and I think the Devs wanted to avoid a similar situtation.

I understand what you are saying about sniper rifles but they have much longer rechamber times and need to be silenced to avoid detection. I myself find it much harder to hit a moving target at range than with the crossbow (I'm a terrible shot)

I'm sorry to hear you aren't having fun with the cloak but it's that way for a good reason. If you are going to refuse to stab a target within arm's reach then you only have yourself to blame.

Pistols are simply handier weapons up close.
    • Up x 5
  12. cruczi

Technically it already is semi-auto since it doesn't require you to unscope between shots
    • Up x 1
  13. Lakora

Well played, well played, yes you're correct there. :)
  14. gh05t

Well there's few conflicting arguments, some saying it's a primary and others not.

well i did give a point about the new vanu rifle coming out, but sure smg etc.

and what don't i understand about the game?

i understand that stalker cloak makes a loud noise just like all the other cloaks, you're still going to get seen if you're not crouching.

i understand that infiltrator has lowest health and shield in the game, and are still OHK with a crossbow against them.

do you understand that as soon as someone hears you unstealth near them they'll be looking for you and be on alert, that if you can't pull off that OHK with a head shot you have lined up you're likely to get done over.

also they have added flash lights to detect stealth and motion sensor can be placed to detect "fast movement" so you'll still appear on the radar. i have seen this first hand when enemy infiltrator comes to a sunderer the other day when the new motion sensor is active you can see him on radar and shoot in the direction.
    • Up x 1
  15. Benevon

I've gotten SEVERAL kills with the Xbow, two shots each, with several enemies right around me before they turn to kill me. Sure that doesn't happen all the time, you run into somebody who sees your tracer and kills you right away. Being able to be nearly invisible indefinitely while not moving and still having a OHK capability is too OP. OHK every shot on anybody is for the snipers, their balance is that they have to lead moving targets, account for bullet drop, etc. If that's your game, get up in those rocks and snipe away. Otherwise, stop complaining...or at least start complaining about the right things *cough*cloaking bugs*cough*
    • Up x 2
  16. Tentakewls

No there aren't, it's a secondary. It's not up for debate.

Cloaking sound is irrelevant since you can stay in cloak forever and only come out for kills. It also doesn't have much of an effect during big fights since there's plenty of noise and other infiltrators running around, and ironically, the bug that makes cloak sound be heard from long distances means people tend to ignore it since it could be from an inf cloaking somewhere far away.

They only have less shields ( 100 less ). The Commissioner also OHK infiltrators.

By the time anyone hears you uncloak you already hit them and are reloading the second shot ( clientside hit detection ). The XBow kills anything in 2 shots in the body and a headshot will kill anything that has taken slight damage so I don't see a problem here. Alternatively, since you can stealth forever, you could wait a XBow + Knife them when they are close.

Flashligths are only used by people that already know there's an infiltrator around and only on sidearms and the flashlight makes them a big target for everyone, not to mention you can see the flashlight and either run if outnumbered or XBow + Knife them, since they are using a sidearm and the range on the flashlight is pathetic. They have a small window where they can get you if you come at them from the front and that's about it. OHK Xbow would make flashlights useless since you could kill the person with the flashlight way before he could see you.
    Motion sensors only show you if you are moving and stalker cloak is made so you are sitting still so I don't see a problem here, if anything, stalker is the best way to deal with motion sensors.

So...some infiltrator did something incredibly stupid and died...what's your point?
    • Up x 2
  17. Kwyjibo

Oh is that the definition of semi-auto now? I guess we're going to have a lot of semi-auto OHK snipers soon when the straight pull bolt attachment is released.

Anyway, I think he was referring to the fire rate specifically. It's basically a bolt-action fire rate, which is a problem when you consider the low damage. It puts you in a situation where good aim doesn't eliminate the risk. And that risk is pretty large when you consider how tedious is is to get behind enemy lines and into the mix of them with the stalker cloak. All that time and consideration is not worth risking to deal some damage but not get a kill.

AS it stands, the stalker+crossbow is good for hunting down snipers, since it is a OHK on them, and possibly creating some confusion. It's also good for a OHK stealth melee, which I'm starting to think is the best way to use the weapon when not hunting snipers.
    • Up x 2
  18. Shiaari

No. Even in PlanetSide 1 infiltrators didn't have that capability, specifically because they were permanently cloaked.

You don't get to have a 1 shot kill when you can effectively be invisible all the time. No. You want that kind of lethality trade the stalker for a standard cloak, and carry a sniper rifle.

Your complaint is invalid.
    • Up x 4
  19. Rift23

Get a sniper rifle.
  20. ironeddie

I'm in two minds about the bow. On the one hand it's two hit kill which is much better or at least competitive against many other weapons. But it has a slow rate of fire. I know I've been killed by smg just because they can put more bullets on me in the time it takes me to shoot my second bolt. Also because you only have four bolts you have to be accurate. If you miss with the bow your dead and you need to catch your enemy by surprise and they have to be slow to react.

I prefer in many ways my manticore. I can fire faster and with 15 rounds in a clip I'm not as heavily punished for missing a shot.

The bow is probably correctly set up though. It would be to easy to make it an op weapon. If it ohk anyone we could have had a situation like when pump shotguns first appeared. They were op at first and had to be nerfed.