I hate "crocodile tears" & how they effect game balance/feedback.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

Use a G2G lock on RL or get close to use a dumbfire.

Also they could pull a Tank themselves.

Infantry can hide in structures.
  2. Jubikus

Halos balance came from the self containing of the game everyone was the same and if you needed an answer to something it was laying somewhere on the map which was much smaller. There are other factors but its been so long since i actually played the game that its hard to remember all the specifics.
  3. Jubikus

I know Tr can pull tanks themselves they do in droves because a tank or harasser is the only thing that works.

Hiding in structures doesnt work in some bases as a point can be completely in the open. Also getting from the spawn room to try and defend a point will almost always require you to be in the open for some period of time.

If you want another example of "feel" being used in balance discussions and being appropriate you can talk about air deterrents. Something that often comes up is that when using a skyguard you often shoot at air it doesnt die and then just goes to a different fight. Was this pointless no you got rid of the air but it still feels ****** and unrewarding to spend 350 nanites for so little return so what do you do? no idea but its a valid reason to bring up the balance of the platform.
  4. Scr1nRusher

The reason why "air deterrence" feels bad is because Air deterrence is balanced around not being effective unless the aircraft thats being deterred is stupid enough to die.
  5. mike196840

Devs need to make their own damn game. There are times when they come up with **** but it is mostly them caving into reddit ***** posts.
  6. Ronin Oni

No, what was posted in OP was hypocritical, rhetorical, and ultimately pointless....

He's referring to your entire pattern of posting.
  7. Scr1nRusher

The OP has deeper value then you think.

I'm not afraid to post threads or actively have conversations or even arguments/discussions.

You can have 700+ people view your thread, but only 10ish guys will ever comment.

People need to stop being cowards and chill the social anxiety.
  8. Ronin Oni

Not really, it's something we all know, and something we all, and you damn right yourself included, ALL 'violate'.

And as I brought up in another of our "discussions"... How balance "feels" is actually EXTREMELY relevant.

Do you think new players who don't make it to BR10 ever care about researching how well things are actually balanced?

No, of course they don't. They feel and perceive imbalances and guess what, perceptions are pretty goddamn important.

That doesn't mean you go an imbalance things to make some people "feel" balanced (by making it OP for low skill players) but it DOES mean you prolly need to look at your designs and systems and look for ways of improvement that can help even out the perception as well as the statistical balancing
    No one has EVER accused you of being too quiet.

Cowards? Social anxiety? Wat.
  9. Scr1nRusher

Theres a difference between "Feel" & FEELS

Its not about me, its about everyone else.

How often do you see new faces joining discussions?
  10. FateJH

Sorry, I need to draw the line here.
    Are you saying we should be compelled (forced) to reply to every thread on the forum?
  11. Scr1nRusher

No, but you shouldn't be afraid to post or pressured to not post.

Posting should be encouraged.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ronin Oni

Dude, majority of all forums are lurkers and guests.

All boards have limited user activity, and this forum activity has dwindled with good reason... Dev's use Reddit.

Only reason I post here is I need to provide counter-weight to many opinions because they DO still read through and parse opinions on this board.

YOU post here because you can't frontpage on reddit.
    • Up x 1
  13. Mythologicus

I don't care who posted the OP, the fact is they're right.

I don't agree with Scr1n's method of discussion or some of his balance ideas, but this doesn't invalidate this post. I said basically the same thing two or three days ago, albeit with a lot more anger.
    • Up x 2
  14. Ronin Oni

wait... so you posted that feelings and emotions shouldn't factor into balance discussions.... in... anger?

:eek:

In any case, feelings and perceptions ARE important when it comes to balance. It's NOT what you use to do your balancing, but it IS a factor and something you look at and keep in mind, and try to help as much as possible.
  15. Scr1nRusher

Do you want a good game, or a game that makes you feel good?

Could have fooled me when it comes to this games balance history.

"try to help"?

You can't help feelings, they are wishy washy.

What you can help is making the game better.
  16. Ronin Oni

You're hopeless.

If you think player perception is irrelevant you're a lost cause.
    • Up x 1
  17. Scr1nRusher

Says the guy who resorts to insults when he's losing or failed.

Perception & Feels are entirely different.
  18. ModsFreeAreForTV

That's what all games need. BALANCING. Balancing is having both sides be EVEN in every way. Sorry it's just the damn truth.
  19. Mythologicus

I didn't make the post to comment on balance. I made the post to express my frustration with the above being displayed in disgusting quantities in the ongoing balance discussions.
  20. Jubikus

Kind of if everything was completely balanced on every level they would be the exact same things which would be boring and would get rid of any sort of faction meaning anything. There are players that when they play the game end up having resentment towards the other factions and loyalty with theirs tho this isnt super important it does creat some balancing otherwise if each faction was just a carbon copy of eachother many players would simply go "TR are being dumb today im going to switch to VS" instead we get fights in command chat over whos idea should be used but hay at least they are still on our side.

The game as much as people would like to say otherwise is actually pretty balanced each faction has some things that are a bit stronger than their counterparts but its balanced out that each faction has some (betelegeus-ravens-prowler). Arsinal has never been the defining factor in an alert its always been pop and organization i could go into more detail but i dont think its needed. Basically even if something is OP its ok if every side has something thats OP. An example off the top of my head would be lets say theres a long range armor fight near indar EX Vanguard against prowler and supported by Fractures against ravens the prowler beats out the vanguard but the ravens beat out the fractures so the fight ends up balanced even tho none of the weapons are and the winner will be decided by other factors (coordination, pop, skill ect.)