I don't understand the "Buff Infil" threads.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Vepo, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Vepo

Hey all,

I've played the beta both closed and open and I've personally never had a problem with the Infiltrator and the way it's played right now. I can snipe like a pro and get into bases, hack terminals, drop a claymore etc etc.

Now if we were to get buffed, this would only increase the amount of QQ we are getting from the people that us proper infiltrators kill with ease.

So can any explain to me as to why we should be buffed? Is it just for the people that don't know how to play correctly?
  2. Dracent

I agree with you besides 1 thing, our cloak while standing still. Running, yes we should be seen partially. But I HATE when I'm crouching in a corner cloaked, and some high fps spec'd PC can see me. Low fps players will run by, but 60fps + high settings can easily see us.
  3. vilehydra

I just want a CQC weapon on my infil that act's like a proper SMG. Haven't certed into any scout rifles yet but they seem to be specced towards the higher end of medium range when I want something lightweight and close range oriented.
  4. Urnefar

I've been playing heavy for a couple of days, and while he's not really as fun and versatile tp play as the infiltrator, he is simply a murder machine. And that's with only a 2x scope for the NC saw.

I have no problem with the various skills of the infil - I guess I'm part of the minority when I say that I enjoy the strengths and weaknesses of the cloak - but the xp gain is lacking. It's enjoyable hacking and aoe-spotting for my team, but it's not rewarding and incentivising for the common player.
    My theory is that people would complain much less about the rocketpods if detering/hitting stuff with AA gave a little amount of xp, since it would then be much more popular - I think the same applies to not playing the infiltrator/thinking he's UP, vs just playing heavy and wrecking guys
    • Up x 1
  5. Vepo

They have said that SMGs are being added earlier next year, so maybe we will see one being able to be used by Infiltrators.

Also the cloaking, while standing still, sure I've had a few issues where I get killed when hiding, but to be honest it's normally in areas where I would also look if I was hunting down an infiltrator. Most people don't pay attention to the blurry image when scanning the hills, but normally a good Infiltrator or player will see this.

I imagine things will be fixed, balanced, but as mentioned we do not need to be buffed as many are requesting.
  6. Krytical

The only thing infiltrators can do effectively is snipe. Their utility is extremely situational and their CQC/anti-vehicle capabilities are non-existent.

No one here is asking to buff snipers. We're asking to fix the other aspects of the class that make us, you know, infiltrators.

Sure, you can get inside the base by praying no one looks in your general direction while you cloak, or that someone doesn't take your lunch money in a hallway somewhere with an LMG/carbine/shotgun/assault rifle. Grats, you can now hack a turret or shoot a sensor dart. Way to make a difference.

The thing is, while you were screwing around playing ninja inside the base, your Heavy Assault friend just killed a dozen players, half as many tanks and scared away two liberators.

Most of the time we're not doing our team a favor by playing infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sento

They are the only class without anti-vehicle equipment and can't effectively infiltrate because they lack any CQC weapons. They need mines or C4 and carbines. If the SMGs the devs are giving the Infiltrator arn't carbines but an entirely new weapon set, then I feel like they will be glorified TR pistols or something garbage like that. I'm fine giving them an effective carbine since they already have less HP then every other class so it's not like they wouldn't still have to rely on stealth.
  8. Vepo

Well to be honest if people want to play a CQC or Anti Vehicle character, they shouldn't be playing an Infiltrator.

I agree there are things missing from what we used to have in Planetside 1 and I would love to see them added again. Hacking vehciles that people are using or in the process of repairing. Being able to knife while cloaked etc.

These things may get added in the future, but there are other issues, which are far more important atm ... like Anti Air!

Sento, we do have mines ;)

Personally though I've never had a problem with CQC .... because I don't run in while the areas is infested with enemies ;)
  9. Hellhammer

we have a CQC weapon, it's called the SOAS20. The shotgun was a huge mistake, and I'm glad SOE fixed it
  10. KorJax

The problem with infiltrator is that you make really terrible XP with it compared to engie or medic, because a lot of our support roles give us zero XP or extremely poor XP (25xp for a hack, really? while engie gets 30XP for a single ammo reload between just three people?).

Our support roles are also extremely limited compared to PS1. In PS1 you could hack a huge amount of things from doors to teleporters to spawn tubes, etc. Here, you can hardly hack anything. The recon dart is also extremely situational, doesn't work half the time, is terrible to use in a lot of situations because map clutter makes it so enemies never show up on minimap anyways, and you get zero bonus for using it.

Literally the only thing we have is sniping. Which is nice, and if you get a good sniper and a good spot you can wreck havoc. But having that be the only means of actually getting XP for an infiltrator, and having that be the only thing that it is actually -decent- at (even though you *will* lose any firefight within 100m once you are detected due to hit recoil and the accuracy of carbines), makes infiltrators really "suck"

Its not so much that they are underpowered. It's just that they suck as infiltrators, they suck as support, they get no XP for doing anything but straight killing, etc.

Meanwhile a medic has extremely useful killing abilities and extremely useful (and rewarded) support abilities. It's a perfectly rounded out class. Same with engie. The HA as well, while it doesn't have much in the way of support abilities them being able to tank and use rockets more than makes up for that. The Light Assault is arguably the only other class that is almost not that well rounded out, but being how useful having jump jets actually are it makes it so the light assault's ability to get anywhere, use C4, be mobile and infiltrate bases (!!!) really supports the role of it being a light assault.

Then you have the infiltrator, who's only redeeming qualities XP wise and support wise is the ability to kill people.. at slightly longer range than other people. And that is why Infiltrators "suck"
  11. Krytical

And why is that? I can snipe people with a T9 Carv S or AMR-66 as heavy assault. I can kill people from long range with the NS-11A as a medic. I can infiltrate bases with Light Assault.

Why can't infiltrators have viable anti-vehicle/CQC weapons?
  12. Krytical

The SOAS-20 is terrible. You're literally better off using the TR/NC pistol.
  13. vilehydra

Didn't like the shotty either, was to easy. But thanks for the info.
  14. Vepo

This does indeed make sense. I personally did thing hacking terminals should have given more experience, but you can still rank up a lot of xp when going to empty based and just taking over everything, especially generators.
  15. Daejin

Most of the player posting don't actually want a "buff" specifically. Most of us want a little more versatility, (Options) and things to do once inside a base, (Options) as well as a more sustainable method to wreck havoc. In almost every single case I get into a base, I eventually fall to 0 ammo because of any terminal outside of their shields get blown up. Also, the current knife mechanics are very poor and don't really work well with players clipping into eachother.

Also, the biggest outcry is for Equippable Knives and Stalker Cloak.
  16. lastchaplain

Perhaps because any class can do our job equally as well as we can, and LA is currently much better at it. There is nothing the infiltrator brings to a fight that isn't done, at least in some measure, by the other classes. Due to the current draw distance, sniping isn't nearly as effective as it should be. That's not saying you can't snipe, just that you could do the same with just about any other weapon. And we don't even have any anti-vehicle capability. The CMs at least get a crap ton of utility for not having an anti-vehicle ability. Another consideration is that our two abilities, to snipe and to hack, are at odds with one another. This class needs a ton of love, probably in the form of new weapons and certs that let us specialize between the roles more distinctly.
  17. Krytical

Pretty sure Combat Medics get C4.
  18. Daejin

They do. And it works. Quite well.
  19. lastchaplain

So basically, we're the only class with zero anti-vehicle ability and without anything to balance that. Good to know.
  20. Nehlis

EMP grenades are nice for ruining a tanker's day in the middle of a fight I hear.