How I'd nerf the Striker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FigM, May 15, 2013.

1. FigM

No damage nerf.
    No range nerf.
    No lock-on time nerf.

Nerf the flight path. Make it a clumsy missile that works at same level as G2A infantry missiles worked 6 months ago. If anyone played 6 months ago, they would remember that it was actually possible to dodge G2A missiles, they didn't turn around, their tracking algorithm was dumber.

This kind of nerf would have little negative impact against ground targets, since ground targets can't move very quickly to dodge missiles. Tho if they do manage it, they certainly deserve it (Harasser and Flash shouldn't be guaranteed kills with Striker)

Striker should definitely have harder time hitting air targets - just like all the other ESML. It would still be superior to Lancer and Pheonix when dealing with air, just not so ridiculously overpowered.
    • Up x 7
  2. P4NJ

Do the same for all lockons!

But remember that lancer and phoenix can hit infantry, MAXes and turrets too =)
    • Up x 10
  3. Xind

If you reduce the likelyhood of hitting targets, I feel like you'd need to improve the damage or give it the ability to hit all viable targets for AV weapons. (MAXs, Turrets, Infantry)

I don't own a Striker and have no interest in purchasing one. But in VR I felt like it took too long to deliver too little damage against stationary targets that weren't utilizing flares, moving, or using cover. So if you reduce the likelyhood of it hitting air targets, one of the two targets it can hit, it needs to deal more damage or gain access to new targets.
    • Up x 2
  4. Poet

Agree - lock ons should be dumber all around.
    • Up x 6
  5. FigM

They can, but also remember that neither of those can actually KILL infantry in 1 shot. It's pretty dumb to use those against infantry
    • Up x 2
  6. Alarox

Lancer and Phoenix both require at least 2 shots to kill infantry and MAXes, and both are hard as hell to hit with either.

Neither of them can fight air.
    • Up x 2
  7. P4NJ

Phoenix is still used against infantry though, since the NC ever since it was made only sit in their spawn rooms and try to hit anything enemy if they have the phoenix, and it does two shot. Lancer is OK though.

But ever since the buffs I can't avoid lockons at all... and there's a glitch that makes my flares not work sometimes...

EDIT: They can hit libs and hoverspammers. But we're not really comparing them right now. Just talking about the striker.
  8. Eclipson

You know how I would "nerf" it. Make it wire guided so it actually requires skill to use, but is over all 10x more fun to use.
    • Up x 14
  9. FigM

1 stricker takes ESF to about 30% health. 2 strickers can afford to miss several shots and still kill the ESF

Just make an NC/VS character and try flying around. You will notice how much Striker spam there is in any decent battle. Even when you fly over empty territory, sometimes there's some random guy with Striker out of nowhere.

It's an issue of faction balance, TR is completely dominating. A nerf to missile flight path would help restore some balance.
  10. Selerox

Striker spam makes TR airspace almost a no-go area a times. Add to the fact that they're just as numerous - and effective - against ground targets, you can see why so many VS and NC players are sick of the damn thing.

The game has too many lock-ons as it is, the Striker needs to be reworked to take that into account.
    • Up x 1
  11. LordMondando

Owning one and having tested it extensively. I really don't think its OP. Its damage is pretty underwhelming against vehicles, and only really against air where in large open air situations where the 500m lock on range really comes into play, does it really do well.

Its good for ganking aircraft and thats about it.

Unless there are 20 of them being deployed and 20 of everything is OP.
  12. Xind

So two guys against one, using a weapon designed to counter the vehicle the one is using, is effective against it? Even though one striker can't finish the job unless the pilot is ********? This needs a nerf?
    • Up x 1
  13. FigM

You should try the Lancer. It's very weak. Unless there are 20 people using Lancers all on same target, then it's completely OP.

But as I said, it takes just 2 people with Stricker to kill an ESF. And even if ESF starts running for the hills, it's very difficult to dodge, sometimes the missiles follow around the terrain obstacles and still hit, something that would be completely impossible under old missile guidance code.
  14. LordMondando

WEll the real solution to the lock on problem, is and always was changing the flight dynamics of missles, so a hard enough turn could throw them off and they could then be outrun.

the strike, as a weapons system in an of itself, really is not OP. By all means go away and try one for 30 minutes exclusively.
    • Up x 1
  15. LordMondando

I also have the Lancer. Out of all three, its got by far most versatility, and the most 'soloing' capcity. Its a great weapon when used en mass also.

Range, giving away your position and charge time are what let it down.
    Unless the guy has certed into flares and knows how to use the terrain.

Maybe the range could be looked at maybe, but as I've said above, the problem really is the lock on missile flight path dynamics. Unless you break line of sight its always a hit no matter what.
  16. theholeyone

Fix the flare bugs. /thread
  17. FigM

It does because both NC and VS can't even come close to same level of effectiveness. Where is the faction balance?

Against ground targets, all ESML are balanced, more or less.
    But against air targets, Striker reigns supreme.

So why does TR get to completely dominate Air and be just as powerful against ground as other factions?
    How about we double Lancer damage to make up for it?
  18. Edmon

Striker leaves the user exposed for a massive length of time. Annihilator is situationally better, because you get your shot off much more quickly and can then hide to reload.

It's a very high risk, decent reward weapon that cannot hit infantry, turrets, maxes, deployables, etc.

It's fine. Striker users are extremely exposed for massive lengths of time. Deploy snipers against them while they stand there for up to 10 seconds firing at you. It can also be dodged and/or flared, smoked and you can use stealth to increase the lock on time even further.

Or is teamwork / learning to play too much of an ask?
  19. Mambakiller

iknow how tr can nerf ur face tho
  20. St0mpy

ok we'll have a striker nerf if you have a dual firing lolpod nerf

what gives you the right to farm infantry continually and call for a nerf against a weapon with more bark than bite? unless you are really stupid and think youre invincible, in which case I can understand being annoyed, I can imagine it back in your HQ, lool he got killed by a striker, what a nub :D