How easy is it to hack you ask? Reddit to the rescue

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jawarisin, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jawarisin

Read the first comment in there... Someone put a fake title. Radar confirmed its not fixed at all. It was just maintenance.
  2. ObiVanuKenobi

3. Alkasirn

Ah, yes. I forgot all about those situations. Usually what I'd see happen to me is stuff like: I'd be almost on a doorframe, but inside a building enough where I couldn't be visible to players at certain angles. All's fine and dandy for the first 3+ seconds of me being there then, when a teammate runs out of the door, I suddenly take damage as if someone was shooting me at point blank through a wall and die.

Or someone would be spotted and hiding in a corner somewhere, so I'd move to jump out from around a corner to shoot them a bit. But then they'd kill me before I was even around the corner on my own screen (in fact I'd often be so not around the corner I couldn't even shoot them on my screen.)

Had no reason to think it was any sort of cheating (and it happens so rarely I didn't have much reason to think it was anything at all)... until a few hours ago.

Yes. Aside from the title, nobody said it was already fixed. What's your point?
  4. theVelvetAlley

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing some people either disappear OR become mortal.
  5. Bindlestiff

Would have been better not to announce anything - however welcome that message is - and just trap the players who edited their files red handed.

It will be extremely interesting to see a few people suddenly not be so good.
  6. oTec

Cheating = Losing. If you need extra help to win a fight, you already lost before it started. It's like running the 100m sprint after shooting your opponents in the leg.
  7. Mefi

I see this argument a lot, but it isn't always the case, sure, some people want some extra power to win but oftenly shooting an opponent in the leg is the goal.
    These people have zero respect to other players, they don't care about competition, it's like bullying, the goal isn't to win, it's to make everyone else lose.
    • Up x 2
  8. kassad

Now that makes a lot of sense now.. its when you get killed by LA39 Bruiser from 20m with two shots by a player who has on all of its pump/semi shotguns 67% accuaracy...
    its just fine as it is..
  9. ObiVanuKenobi

Shotgun accuracy stat is bugged, it counts each pellet as a hit and all of them as only 1 shot so you can have over 100% accuracy with shotguns.
  10. kassad

Its just very odd when you get burned in those situation..just saying..
    This situation got me making alt NC character just to test it...
  11. Gundem

Well, getting killed at that range with any shotgun is suspicious IMO.

Obviously the guy is exaggerating somewhat, but the fact is the only shotgun with a reasonable TTK outside 10 meters is the Baron or the Jackhammer.

PA Shotty's? Good luck getting a OHK outside 5 meters.
  12. IcEzEbRa

13. Trudriban

[IMG]
  14. Towie

It's strange - i've reported a LOT of (suspected) hackers but just lately, the situation has improved again. Is it possible that some of those folks have become more aware of this discussion - and have changed the values back again ? I wonder.

Frankly it would be laughably easy to spot someone who has modified the file, the client reads the values - it only needs to cross reference some of those to values it knows are correct and if it's different, send a message to the server along the lines of "I'm a scum bag please delete my account now".

Personally i'd like a period before the ban where the player appears to everyone around them as a hacker (like change the dorito to a 'kill me' sign). Oh now that would be fun...;)
    • Up x 1
  15. FateJH

That would catch any Joe who wandered into the static file and changed the numbers. It wouldn't stop anyone who wandered into both the active file and the reference file and changed the numbers to match. It also wouldn't be impossible be easy to swap the values at runtime and then offer one set for the client to render while offering up the other correct set for validation purposes.

A complicated cheating program knows how to obscure itself from expectant remote detection, and the like. Other than the swift dev response, the only thing we have to be thankful for is there there's no evidence that mainstream hacking applications have been utilizing this method.

I suppose the server itself could use a lazy evaluation method (to maintain performance) and compare the retained projectile history with target position after a target's death. This isn't like an aimbot where unwavering accuracy is usually the telling factor - inaccuracy would be the telling factor. We could also ask the target to doublecheck the projectile calculations and that removes the burden on the server (client-side hit detection, victim-side re-evaluation), though that does run afoul of "hacks that claim anyone who killed you is cheating," which, though a weird concept, isn't unthinkable. Depends how well the packet data is between what the client sees and what the server can see the client did so many seconds ago.
  16. Towie

Absolutely - but i'm just hopeful that the majority of the dubious characters / situations are either legit or using the simple text file edit rather than one of the full blown hacks that are around (which are very sophisticated, youtube videos galore on their abilities). Depends on how low they want to stoop I guess :mad:
  17. DeatnKnight

This is finally being fixed I believe. It will be funny to see how many "good" players suddenly turn to **** lol.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

This is part of why i moved to ps4.

I used to do this crap with the smoke and foliage but i never touched the hitbox lol.
  19. TeknoBug

Pity stuff like this must exist, and also must be fixed. Stuff like this makes me wonder why the Playstation 4 Rocket League "pros" decided to move to the PC platform.... hmmm.
  20. ObiVanuKenobi

You can do this on ps4 as well theoretically.
    Turning off foliage is a legit ingame setting that anyone can use.