[Suggestion] how about an mana-AA turret?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by captaindaan1, Feb 28, 2015.

1. RedArmy

i submitted this idea with concept art on the topic with detailed functionality back in feb 2013
  2. thebigbortishbort

only way i could think of it is either as a 360 rotation high tilting coyote-esque burst rocketlauncher or a light damaging walker like machinegun , of course weaker than a walker for the sake of balance.
  3. DawnofWar11

I like the idea of an AA turret for engineers, but it should be designed as a weaker Walker. This would give enough time for ESFs and Libs to bail, and engis would have sth. better than "Spitfire". Also, if the turret is designed like a walker, you will need more skill to lead targets. I don't like the idea having a turret, which is equal with two burster arms. This would be ridiculous. AA turret yes, but slighty less damage than Walker.
  4. Scr1nRusher

• Up x 1
  5. Kulso

I think the new Anti-Material Rifle Engineers are getting (and possibly other classes, but I think it should be exclusive) can be used against air.
  6. thebigbortishbort

indeed so , i cant wait to test it when it comes eventually :p
  7. Sir Sovereign

Burster on a mana turret? Yes please.
  8. SarahM

AA turret would be great. Would have to be unable to hit ground units through to balance it out.

Let's just hope it won't get nerfed into uselessness like many other things which could actually do more than just scratch the paint on air units.
    • Up x 1
  9. MasonLol

Idk i think there's plenty of AA options in the game.. its hard enough to fly during prime time as it is ;)
  10. Tarrick

As can be said for a great many things, unfortunately.
  11. Armcross

Should be available as stack no need to buy and doesn't require nanites.
  12. Diilicious

How about giving the ability of say 3 engineers to be able to deploy a 1 time (cant be repaired once dead) Aspis Phalanx turret?

so each engineer has 1 third of the nanites required to build it. that would be pretty damn sweet
  13. Kirppu1

How about making facilites have their AI controlled defences come up when requirements are fulfilled such as: 2 tech plants are owned and the empire gets an AI controlled AA guns on top of a amp station
  14. Flakk Gun

Its probably been said, but I'd like to see turrets changed to just a single mounted MAX weapon. I think it would give the turret a more Empire specific look and feel and you would get your AA, AV, AI turrets. Just swap between them at the sundi or terminal. Have them unlock same as always.
  15. Imp C Bravo

Too much AA in the game as it stands. Engies can already do EVERYTHING else in the game (with some minor AA via the AV turret and good positioning.) I would think no.
  16. Problem Officer

Yes except an automatic sentry turret only.
    Dual Bursters sort of gun with less velocity, limited targeting range, attacks only aircraft.
    Can't lead shots at all. Hover-denial, would mostly hit Galaxy yet is easily destroyed by Bulldog splash.
  17. Alexkruchev

I think the Flash Basilisk gun would be a better option for an AA/multirole turret. Plenty of downsides, as it would be an AV turret that shot the 20mm basilisk shells. I'd love the change, it makes no sense that engis can kill infantry and tanks but have -zero- AA potential. Archer? Forget about it, that's gimmickry, not a viable option against mobile air.
  18. Alexkruchev

I can. I heavily support engis having some kind of AA. I would prefer it be direct fire, not FLAK. Like a basilisk turret. That said, I can confidently as a novice pilot down at least one vehicle while ignoring even FLAK AA mostly, as it takes them at least 20-30 seconds to aquire, aim, and kill me (unless i'm sitting stupid, and then that's my bad). I can easily kill 2-5 infantry in a good strafing run with the Mustang or rocket pods. I feel that if I get shot down if I loiter and hover-bombard, that is -completely- fair. Frankly, my opinion that aircraft are a bit OP against ground threats is only reinforced by my 12 hours of recent dedication to ground attack. I've never died when I didn't get greedy. I simply hit burners, took a hill, landed, rep'd, and came back for another go. Getting at least 1 kill per run. Very easy, and the enemy only cleared me out reliably whent hey had at least a skyguard and 2 bursters focusing me- and any one vehicle and one player -should- be out done handily by 3 dedicated enemies pulling high-nanite-cost counters.

I'd rather people get cheaper counters that aren't just HAs. Right now, unless you drop 350-450 nanites, you -cannot- deal effectively with aircraft. Lock ons are not effective, because it takes 3 shots. (5-8 second reloads plus 2-5 second locks ons per shot, means TTK against an ESF without stealth is easily 15-20 seconds. Long enough for them to kill you, run, or break LOS.) And after the second shot, they can easily escape. So, right now, only HA can even -try- to coutner air power. And if it's a Liberator? Forget about it. He can farm you all day, regardless of what you pull. If Engis had a 20mm Basilisk turret they could man to chip in, all the better!
  19. FeralBoy

I guess I'm a fun-hater but I say no. I play as an Engy main and I already have a plethora of AA turrets. One is called a Skyguard. There's this other big fat one called a Prowler with a Walker top gun. Then there's an even fatter tubsy wubsy called a Sunderer with a Walker or two. If I don't have too many cheesy-poof crumbs on my fingers I can press a key to roll out of it and repair it since I already have a handy dandy repair tool.

All dry sarcasm aside I just don't see a pressing need or even a desire to have an "AA" turret when you have plenty of vehicles that are already wholly capable of functioning as AA batteries that have far more armor.

The AI Mana turret already damages light aircraft and the AV Mana turret makes every vehicle/aircraft snap to attention when it hits.

I guess I don't have a problem with airpower being OP against ground targets. Because they should be. Even Billy Mitchell realized if you controlled the skies you controlled the outcome.

Fun stuff to talk about but I don't feel it's necessary or needed. Please fix/finetune what we have currently. Then lets talk of moving forward.
  20. johnway

EDIT: Apologies for reviving this thread.

it would be useful to have another solution to AA but it needs to be applied in a fair way.

My idea would have been to provide a selection of AA solutions that offer different uses. Predominately deterrents and only lethal in numbers and does absolutely NOTHING to damage ground units. Hell, they should be hackable to turn the tide.

1. A sort of no frills burster cannon. or an automated turret that shoots upwards that does the same amount of damage as if you were pointing your own weapon the air and firing at ESFs.

2. A flak cannon that fires lots of pellets that is only really effective at closer ranges to prevent/deter ESFs flying dive bombing close and causing accurate damage with A2G ordinance. At higher altitudes the turret projectiles are ineffective or the turret doesn't trigger at all. So ESF pilots and liberators can still shoot but their accuracy is severally hampered. Hopefully. I suppose we could have a radius effectiveness that the turret would trigger and as you upgrade it the radius increases. Think of this as deploying a sort of aerial mine field or a big aerial shotgun with higher spread.

3. AA launcher. think AT turret that just shoots upwards. Damage more to deter than to destroy. Unless there are lots of them or the ESF pilots are stupid enough to hover and take incoming fire. Rather than filling the sky with ordinance, its just a slow firing single shot projectile.

4. An EMP/jammer device. It does no damage to ESFs, but scrambles the HUD if they get too close to the ground (target recticles disappear or become fuzzy, stats become unknown). I'm sure we could do more with this but i can't see this working entirely especially if you using overlays or just sticking a piece of bluetack on the screen or something.

I see the engineer as a support class and whilst they can have AI and AT solutions, it makes sense just to complete the set and have AA as well.